bikexor

Moving to Glenwood Springs from Florida October 22nd

Yo, I am moving from the extremely non-mountainous Florida to what I imagine must be the exact opposite terrain. I see that there are several trails in the G'wood area but I was hoping to hook up and go riding with someone. Like I said, I'm from Florida so I'm not gonna be hucking 15ft drops on my AM 6" travel 40lb rig. I ride a SS Hardtail in fact. I'm getting to town Oct 22 so once we get settled I'll try to hit some trails. I also like to drink beer, so we could do that too.

How much longer is it MTB season out there?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by derockus

How much longer is it MTB season out there?
    Depends when the winter storms start.

Have fun - hope you got some sort of pass to Aspen/Snowmass...

mtbr member
    Mountain bike season last for as long as you are willing to drive to Moab.

Tigers love pepper...
    You can also ride Fruita/GJ some in the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It was pretty great today!

jummo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You will love it...these are only a fews blocks from one another.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I suggest you drop the beers and bring some gears.

Model of Grace and Tact
    Timo, which trail is that?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Boy Scout?

bikexor
    I'm getting stoked as we speak.

I have a geared bike (1x9) but it won't be arriving until Nov 6.

Who wants to go ride on the 24th or 25th?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Boy Scout?
    Yeah I took the Boy Scout Trail to Forest Hollow to Lookout Mountain Road. I missed the single track back to the Cemetery/Doc Holiday Trail so I ended up going down Red Canyon Road. Next time I'll start at the Cemetery and learn that end of the loop. Nice little mini-epic there - I really enjoyed it.

I had some work in the area so I had my employer pony up for the Hotel Denver/Glenwood Springs Brewery. Trail head was just a few blocks away.

Oh and gears not necessary and neither is dropping beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm in Snowmass Village, not to far from Gwood, and ride around here everyday. If you make it to the Village before it snows I could show you some awesome trials around here. I'm not really sure you would like them on a SS though

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo

Oh and gears not necessary
    They will be for someone from FL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    better bring a coat and hat.

bikexor
    so today i tried to do the boy scout thing. i read some trail directions from somewhere but they were tough to sort out. anyway, i started at the "pioneer cemetery" trailhead and made my up to the graveyard. the directions said to cut through the cemetery and hop a gate. i think i found the gate (it was yellow) and i jumped it. i started up that sorta worn-the-hell-out double track and then i saw some dogs coming down. well, shitt, i knew i was cutting through private property so i 180'd and jumped back over the gate. then, i gave up because my SS and sea level based lungs were torched. i sorta screwed myself, i tried to gear down to 34:21 instead of 34:18 but i didn't have enough chain with me. if we don't get snow i'll probably try again next weekend if anyone wants to go.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

season

the season just ended pretty much today we got about 7 inches of snow up in carbondale

keep pedaling
    Mar 2006

Forest Hollow to private land?

Is that trail after Doc's private? We rode this a few weeks ago, we climbed up Scout to Forest Hollow then went South past Doc Holliday trail and circled around to County Rd 119 or 120? and then rode up to Grizzly Creek to Forest Hollow and back down Scoutl. Nice 20 mile loop, but we were instructed by a person yelling at us that the road between Doc's and the CR 119 or 120 was private land. Can anyone confirm or deny? We didn't see a sign going North, but looking back might have seen one. Would be a shame, because this is a great loop. thanks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by walax59
    the season just ended pretty much today we got about 7 inches of snow up in carbondale
    BRING IT!!

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Hey, I'm in Glenwood. Looks like biking season may be done here for the year. If it melts out hit me up and we can go for a ride.

The trail above Doc's briefly cuts in to private land and when they have sheep up there they put barbed wire across the upper gate that ties in to the continuation of forest hollow, which i think used to be a ditch. The private land never stopped anyone from riding and if it went to court it may even end up being open since it has been used continuously for so long (adverse posession).

The cross trail is a ripping descent with a couple of fun options. If only I knew the gate code it would be a perfect shuttle trail!

You can shuttle to the top of lookout mountain by driving past the Forest Hollow parking lot. There is a mini booter on the left side of the road built of a rock at the top. It takes about 1/2 hour to drive up and 20 minutes to ride down.

No Name trail is an epic ride from the top of the Flat Tops accessed from Transfer Trail. It has a few insane rock gardens that only the VERY skilled can clean. 12 mile trail with 5k' descent. Only rideable in the summer/early fall. We had to clean out alot of deadfall this summer. Riding with a weedwaker or chainsaw on your back is very interesting!

Grizzly Creek can be a fun out and back but there is a lot of hike a bike on the way up. Similar to No Name but less technical.

Also, Cherry Creek off of Buford road in New Castle is a great ride that doesn't get ridden nearly enough.

Plenty of great riding all around the valley.

Time to wax the skis!

mtbr member
    I'll second Cherry Creek. It's one of my favorite rides - insanely fast, rocky, tree tunnels, absolute ripping goodness. I'm bummed I didn't get to ride it this year.

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy
    I'll second Cherry Creek. It's one of my favorite rides - insanely fast, rocky, tree tunnels, absolute ripping goodness. I'm bummed I didn't get to ride it this year.
    I love how fast it is. You can ride no brakes for alot of it too.

Don't make the same mistake I did on that trail. Ripping through a meadow, following a buddy too close so I didn't see a ditch across the trail. Speared the opposite side followed by an acrobatic endo and a fresh taco!

bikexor
    Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't gonna snow much more this week but it looks like it'll be on the ground through the weekend, oh well... maybe next weekend? I'm not too broke up over it, if snowboard season starts sooner I'll be ok.

So me and my girlfriend are just chilling in Glenwood this weekend. I'm down to go hang out somewhere and consume beer if that interests anyone. We don't know anyone around yet and at least we'd share a common biking interest. I also want to watch the Gator game (no one probably cares but me) and it's on 1:30... after that, who knows. Halloween? I got no costume but I could throw one together if there's a need. In short: INVITE ME TO YOUR PARTY, I'LL BRING SOME BEER. PM me, it'll go to my email.
    Little Shred Riding Hood