Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving to GJ!

mtbr member

Moving to GJ!

I got a job in town and will be packing up the family and moving to Grand Junction mid June. I know the area is huge for tourists, but hows the local riding scene? Are there some regular group rides? Any kind of local race series? I'm way excited for the move and looking forward to meeting some local bikers.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Congrats! You are going to absolutely love it there, been there 3 times myself and there are tons of riding out there. I am actually looking for something out there myself.

Local races I believe they have the 18 hours of Fruita and the Fat Tire Festival for what I know off the top of my head - then 2 hours west you got Moab and whatever they do out there...You are gonna be in MTB nirvana.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Where are you going to work? There are lots of informal rides, you can also hook up with riders at the many local shops.

June 9 is "The Grand Mesa Grind" mountain bike race. Formerly known as "The Palisade Classic".

mtbr member
    Double post. Stupid smart phone.

mtbr member
    I'll be working at a place called Goliath Industries. I'm giving myself a few days off in the transition, so hopefully I'll be as to get in some good riding right away. We will probably be moving on the 12th or 13th. The place we are renting is in Redlands, so we have very quick access to the lunch loops.

Tigers love pepper...
    Welcome. You won't get bored at the lunch loops for a while. Then you can hit up 18rd, Kokopelli's, Rabbit Valley, etc. Keep in mind you are moving in the heat of the summer. Ride early or late for the most part. Night riding is great in the summer. We only get like 9 inches of rain a year and we are already 2 inches below average I think. Trails are sandy, but they will he better if we EVER get any moisture. Don't be alarmed. So many other mtb destinations are within hours of town as well. When possible the locals ride higher in the summer and leave the heat to the tourists.

LTR bike shop has done a few races this season as well, gunny enduro and rumble at 18rd.
    Last edited by cobi; 05-30-2012 at 10:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Where is the closest higher elevation riding?

mtbr member
    Grand Mesa, around 10,000 feet or so. Not amongst the best but close by. Flowing Park is a great ride for views but not a technical ride. Lot's of mosquitoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    Grand Mesa, around 10,000 feet or so. Not amongst the best but close by. Flowing Park is a great ride for views but not a technical ride. Lot's of mosquitoes.
    Also Turkey Flats on Pinyon Mesa. About 30-40 minutes drive from downtown GJ and a couple of hours' worth of riding. Not super spectacular but a nice change (cool, forested, small streams) from valley riding.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks guys. Next question and equally as important: Who in town has the best burger and best burrito?

mtbr member
    The best burger and burrito are subjective. The Best beer is made at Kannah Creek Brewery. I don't think anyone can argue about that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    Flowing Park is a great ride for views but not a technical ride.
    Does anyone know if you still start at the Flowing Park Reservoir or has the extension from the highway been built?

Also, I saw in the newspaper the results of the Grand Mesa Grind. An hour and 45 minutes (+/-) for ~30 miles and 4500' of climb. I've never ridden the course, but that just sounds sick.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Yes, the beginning is still at the reservoir. However, the singletrack from the Mesa Top parking lot had been started. You can ride it from the parking lot, connect with a 4x4 road that connects with the road to the reservoir, but some knowledge and a map of the area is suggested. There will be trail work days mid July for the Mesa Top trail, but it's doubtful that it will get finished. In the end, the combination of the Flowing Park trail and Mesa Top trail will be big miles (40+), but not super technical.

Des(s)ert Rat
    My vote for best burger is the Bin Burger at Bin 707. So tasty! But I'm always up to look for a better one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint View Post
    Yes, the beginning is still at the reservoir. However, the singletrack from the Mesa Top parking lot had been started. You can ride it from the parking lot, connect with a 4x4 road that connects with the road to the reservoir, but some knowledge and a map of the area is suggested. There will be trail work days mid July for the Mesa Top trail, but it's doubtful that it will get finished. In the end, the combination of the Flowing Park trail and Mesa Top trail will be big miles (40+), but not super technical.
    Thanks. I rode it on Sunday starting from the reservoir. It had been three years since I last rode it. I am not sure if some parts were re-routed, but the trail was much better than I remember (more sections thru the aspen and pine trees, smoother sections thru the volcanic rock mine fields, more singletrack with less old doubletrack, lots of elk and no bear, etc.).

mtbr member
    Well. I'm here... kinda. The jackass squatting in the house we were supposed to move into Wednesday last week (the current tenant) still hasn't moved out. The owner has served him an eviction notice, so it's only a matter of time. But in the mean time my wife had to take the kids to live with her dad in Monticello and I'm stuck in GJ alone since I had to start work yesterday. Fortunately I have a place to stay but that's about it. I'm also going seriously broke paying for lodging and extra gas I wasn't expecting while waiting for my last paycheck from the former job. Oh and the other jackasses renting our house back in Utah are waaaaay late with rent and probably filing bankruptcy and moving out soon. It's actually kinda funny when everything goes wrong at once.

Anyway, enough *****ing. Anyone in town have a spare bike and want to take me for a ride? Anyone want to just hang out? The soonest we will be able to get into our house is Friday morning, so to avoid missing my family more than necessary, I'm trying to keep myself busy for the next couple evenings without spending any money.

Shoot me a text or call 801-eight eight 4 - 35 three four.

Tigers love pepper...
    What size bike? A group of us are going to hit up a short ride at the lunch loops about 7:15 tomorrow night. Might even shuttle the Ribbon. No sure yet.

mtbr member
    I ride a large, but if it's a shuttle a medium would work. Let me know. I'm in for sure if it works out.

Tigers love pepper...
    I can probably get a hold of a FS Jamis Dakar xc (like an 06'?) or a 2011 Felt 29er hard tail in large (probably x5-x7 level). Neither bike is exactly top of the line.

Let me see what I can do and I'll shoot you a text. Group will probably be a little slow. No sure what your level/speed is.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Either bike is better than sitting around. I dot mind a slow group at all. No hurry here

Tigers love pepper...
    I'll call you in a bit after I get my daughter to bed, maybe closer to 9. Looks like the plan is to meet around 7 and try to shuttle The ribbon before it gets dark. For the ribbon I would say take the FS.

mtbr member
    Sounds great, I'll talk to you soon. My name's Dennis btw.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck View Post
    My name's Dennis btw.
    Old woman...

Dennis The Constitutional Peasant - YouTube

mtbr member
    Man!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Anyone in GJ know of anyone looking for an IT guy?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast