mtbr member

More Fruita & Grand Junction suggestions

Going back for my second trip in October as last year was incredible...... you guys are LUCKY with such great trails. This trip will be a bit longer and last year everyone here gave me great advice (thanks to all who contributed). Anyhow I am again searching for good suggestions, last year I rode
    -Horsetheif - Lyons - Macks - Moore Fun
    -18 Road- PBR, both zippitys' & joes
    - Lunch Loops - some combo uphill then crossed the road to Gunny Loop, Holy Cross & Free Lunch (INCREDIBLE)

So, my question is about what I might be missing. I will likely revisit these trails again but will also include other suggestions, are Palisades, The Ribbon Shuttle, Zion Curtain/Western Rim Worth it? Or could you rank in order??

Gonna have a similar on the Moab page with suggestions of trails over there that I missed as well. Gotta Love Fall!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ttrd; 10-16-2013 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

More Fruita & Grand Junction suggestions

The Zion Curtain and Western Rim are both must-do's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you're techinical climbing skills are good, Palisade Rim. It is not tremendously difficult, but can be a bit tricky the first ride. Either the Lower Loop or do the Upper Loop as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Ribbon Trail is NOT a "must do' in my opinion...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You've pretty much done it all at Kokopelli. Steve's and Troy Built are good also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    in junction you gotta ride Butterknife.

out at kokopelli - troy built is super fun.

18 rd - chutes and ladders, down to the road, back edge loop cutoff, down vegetarian is a pretty fun loop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Zion Cutain would not be on my list at all. Did it once and no desire to do it agai. Much rather ride Horsethief, Steve's, Lyons than western rim. Views are just as good and the riding is far, far better. Butter knife is great. Ribbon is good fun. The pedal up really isn't bad. Up prenup, road to the ribbon. Down ribbon to road. Up to gunny. Or take Andy's to Eagles tail.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I like Zion Curtain and most of the stuff out at Rabbit Valley quite a bit and would recommend it to anyone looking to get into some backcountry type stuff. It's not for everyone I guess, most of it doesn't get any maintenance and I like that. You can make some monster loops out in Rabbit Valley by combining Zion Curtain with the Western Rim and even adding West Water Mesa and the Overlook Trail to make a HUGE day out in the the middle of nowhere. There will be a lilttle hike a biking, some steep loose descents, some longer climbs, some techy stuff, some dirt road riding, map reading skills and isolation. It's a good change from the Fruita and GJ stuff IMHO.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I agree that one of the good things about Zion Curtain is the remoteness. Even though it is "close" to the interstate, it just seem like your out in the middle of nowhere, and I've only seen one other person on the trail all the times that I've ridden it. Now, is it something that I would recommend to a visitor. Maybe or maybe not. It can be difficult to find and navigate and does have a fair amount of gravel/dirt road. Same thing with Butterknife. Sure it is a great trail, but I am not sure a visitor would appreciate the long double-track climb to get back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Zion Curtain is fine but Horsethief + Steve's + Moore Fun is vastly superior. As to Butterknife, ride the doubletrack down and then go up Butterknife.
    OVER the rocks, not around

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    As to Butterknife, ride the doubletrack down and then go up Butterknife.
    Blasphemous

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CanyonDad View Post
    ... As to Butterknife, ride the doubletrack down and then go up Butterknife.
    why would you do that??? NO. (actually, you can ride how you want, it's your ride, but i would say the majority of folks enjoy the singletrack down and road climb up)

pusher of buttons
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Blasphemous
    agreed.
    WTF