• 07-04-2009
    mcdelroy
    Montezuma's Revenge or Leadville 100
    I'm looking for routes up in mountains not too far from Denver which consist of challenging climbs and good scenery, perhaps portions of Montenzuma's Revenge or The Leadville 100? I enjoy long tough climbs which make one dig deep but not necessarily ridiculously technical.

Mcdelroy
  • 07-04-2009
    SkaredShtles
    How much do you want? There's a bunch...
  • 07-05-2009
    zrm
    Most of the climbs that the Revenge used where baby head Jeep roads that are all chewed up by jeeps, ATVs and dirt bikes. Challenging, but I'm not so sure they're all that much fun. the views from up there are spectacular though, no doubt about that.

A better bet would be something like the climb up the CT from the middle fork of the Swan to Georgia pass. The climb up the wheeler trail from Copper mountain to Wheeler pass. The climb up Little French Gulch that is part of the Firecracker course is shorter than the two ijust mentioned, but still a toughy. The Cammando run climb from Bowmans cutoff to two elks is a tough one too.
  • 07-05-2009
    mcdelroy
    Jeep trails are ok I guess so long as you can maintain traction though I'd prefer single track. I'd like to challenge myself climbing and altitude wise. But too steep and technical and it would become a hike-a-bike. If you can give me leads on a weekend's worth of the top rides that would be great.

Mcdelroy
  • 07-05-2009
    SkaredShtles
    How long a ride are you looking for? Mileage-wise? There is pretty much ANYTHING you could want up there... you just need to give us some idea.
  • 07-05-2009
    mcdelroy
    I could handle a ride up to 10-15 miles depending on the altitude and climbing. I'm willing to train for longer rides or high altitude if I need to. I really like vistas with views so if the altitude is high, which I'm cool with, I just need to make sure technical difficulty isn't mixed in with too much steepness.

Mcdelroy
  • 07-05-2009
    SkaredShtles
    Serle Pass out & back.

Climb up Vail Mountain on the front side & then do the Grand Traverse.

West Ridge out of Keystone.

Kenosha -> Georgia Pass.

Golden Gate Canyon SP.

That's just a start...
  • 07-05-2009
    mcdelroy
    Any idea if Kenosha to Georgia Pass is clear of snow yet? That ride sounds like what I'm looking for. Any other similar recommendations?