mtbr member
    May 2004

Molas Pass to Cascade open?

Has anyone done Molas Pass to Cascade? Where is the best place to start this ride? We are going to be coming thru to Durango and hoping to camp at Molas Lake campground and ride a little on the CTR that comes thru there.

We havent ridden anything down there so looking for suggestions for both riding and any camping spots of note. We will have about 4 days down there before heading home.

I know a ton of people that did Molas to Durango this weekend so I'm sure it's fine. Catch the CT from the top of Molas Pass. Rideable distance from the Molas Lake CG.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. The riding up there looks very nice. We are going to look at riding Pass Creek Trail as well as it looks pretty close. We are on a 2 week trip and we are looking to head thru CB for a handful of days before heading down towards Molas and then Durango. Going to have to stop in a shop in Durango to check out where to ride there. Hermosa?

IMO, if you're going to Molas to Cascade, you can skip Pass Creek later. I've always seen that as the 'cheater' line to get to the descent of Engineer Mountain trl.

Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    Hermosa?
    Not sure what you're asking. Is there a shop in Hermosa? I recommend San Juan Cycles or 2nd Ave Sports in Durango

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry I was asking if once we get to Durango if riding Hermosa would be one of the better rides to hit up. Any Durango riding advice would be great. Havent really ridden much/any of the rides around there. I did the Durango 100 years ago but dont even remember which rides the race took in. Would like to do something around that area (Purgatory I believe). We are van camping as well which is why we were thinking of camping up at Molas Campground to start.

Hermosa Creek appears on virtually every "Colorado Top Ten" list (and some National ones too). It's mostly downhill and not overly technical making it very friendly for novice vacationers. IMO, as a shuttle (the popular way to do it) it's the most overrated, disappointing ride in the Durango area. If you're a capable, fit rider, avoid it. However, it is a very handy trail in getting in and out of the whole Hermosa Creek drainage allowing access to a lot better stuff. Do Molas-Cascade. Then, if you're vamping, park at Hermosa Creek CG. This will allow you access to Blackhawk Pass, West Cross Creek, Corral Draw (or the rest of the CT however far you want to take it). The best of the rest would be Kennebec Pass down the CT to town. This can be ridden from town (5+ hours) by riding up Junction Creek Road or somehow get shuttled or ride to the top of Kennebec Pass jeep road.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the great advice. We will do the Molas pass ride and then come into the Hermosa Creek CG for the others you noted. Looking forward to riding some of the renowned Durango rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My opinion is if you want the best of the high country for Durango area, and you are a fit rider, in 4 days, the best options are:

*Note that I am more downhill oriented than uphill, and like rides with long sustained descents. Although I know you need to get up to get down, which means in cases, long sustained uphills.

1) Molas to Engineer Mountain Trail or Molas to Engine Creek, debatable what is better. Either way the view is amazing, and the wildflowers are going to be going off soon. Engine creek is more technical, EMT is fast, flowy, and always puts a big smile on my face.
    2) Blackhawk Pass - End with *edit: West Cross Creek* back to the car, super fast decent, and Blackhawk pass is amazing scenic. Don't forget to stop mid ride (after larger climb before blackhawk pass) to check out the views of Lizard Head and Wilson Group. The road isn't horrible to climb to do for the loop instead of shuttle too. But 9 miles of road still isn't "fun" to me.
    3) Dutch Creek - Depending on your legs and option for a shuttle, either from the top of Purg (way shorter), or loop it from Jones / Pinkerton / Dutch, but be prepared for about 5 hike a bike sections on Pinkerton. Either way Dutch is a super fun descent, although its probably dusty as hell right now.
    4) Kennebec Pass - Get shuttled, the road is silly. Start from Kennebec top, not Champions Gulch for more downhill, and a fun scree section. Good end of the trip, not a horrible leg burner except a middle climb. Super fun downhills.

Honorable Mention - Although easy, Pass Creek to Engineer Mountain Trial is super fun and the wildflowers in the next few weeks will be peaked. I like to do it twice via hitchhike, because I'm lazy, and its fun. Not many places for 40 minutes up, 30 minutes down (leisurely). Also other options off pass creek for the adventurous.
    Last edited by ds1bush9; 06-25-2013 at 07:28 AM.

mtbr member
    ^^^ 1+ for ds1bush9's advice!!!

www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rode Molas/Engineer Mtn. on Sat. We went rt. at the junction just above tree line to circumnavigate Jura knob and hit some hike-a-bike snow patches, none to bad. If we'd taken the left (short cut) no snow. Congrats! To the couple that got married mid ride at the Engineer saddle! Never seen that many $$$ bikes at a wedding before. Too bad about the weather and the scenery

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My husband and I will be arriving in Durango Monday night and are staying for 7 nights. We'd love to ride with any locals that might be free midweek and have a truck that can easily carry 4 riders and 4 bikes. We'd love to ride Kennebec pass to Durango and other parts of the Colorado trail. Any takers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1bush9 View Post

2) Blackhawk Pass - End with White Creek back to the car, super fast decent, and Blackhawk pass is amazing scenic. Don't forget to stop mid ride (after larger climb before blackhawk pass) to check out the views of Lizard Head and Wilson Group. The road isn't horrible to climb to do for the loop instead of shuttle too. But 9 miles of road still isn't "fun" to me.
    Where's White Creek? The only way south from Blackhawk that I know of is the Colorado Trail, along Straight Creek to the top of Hotel Draw. Then, the two main downhills to Hermosa Park are either West Cross Creek or Corral Draw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Where's White Creek? The only way south from Blackhawk that I know of is the Colorado Trail, along Straight Creek to the top of Hotel Draw. Then, the two main downhills to Hermosa Park are either West Cross Creek or Corral Draw.
    Correction, West Cross Creek, you are correct there.

Dont miss WCC.