mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Moab/ Colorado Trails

Hi

After some advice - please bear with the questions! Please also forgive the posting cross forums.
    I'm planning a trip to the US from the UK in spring this year to ride the trails at Moab. I'm planning to spend 3 weeks in the US with 4-5 days at Moab. Is this sufficient?
    I'm interested in where else riders would recommend I ride whilst I'm over there?

I'd say I'm an average rider - looking 20-25m day rides. For those that know UK trail classifications I'll ride red stuff and most black - I'm experienced enough to know when to walk!

I'm flying into/ out of Denver so I'm thinking Moab is approx 180m from Denver and prob furthest I'll go out without wasting too many days travelling.

Friends have suggested Fruita and Gunnison - what are peoples recommendations?

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers
    Jules

2006 Yeti AS-X
    There are plenty of trails in Moab to keep your tires and yourself happy. Never ridden Gunnison area trails so cannot comment on those but have been to Fruita four times and I can tell you those trails are alot of fun.

4 - 5 days in Moab will give you a decent sampling of the various trails in the area. You can spend one day alone if you did the whole enchilada (burro pass, hazard, UPS and LPS). Another whole day if you did the Magnificent 7.

You will have fun no matter where you go in that area.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Tigers love pepper...
    Denver/Golden
    Keystone/Dillon
    Eagle/Vail/Breckenridge
    Winter Park/Fraser
    Steamboat Springs
    Grand Junction/Fruita
    Gunnison/Crested Butte
    Telluride
    Durango/Cortez
    Moab

You could ride any of these areas and spend multiple days in either and have a great time. You're probably going to have to narrow it down a bit.

Zinger-uk does a similar trip about each year. Search for his trip threads for ideas.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=14067674

Are you wanting all XC riding, resort riding (lift served), some of each?

I would probably do a loop along the lines of Denver, winter park, steamboat, eagle/vail, GJ/Fruita, Moab, Cortez/Durango, gunnison/crested butte, and then work my way back to Denver maybe hitting more of the high country along the way. Some areas would be one day, some areas multiple days (3-5).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    OP indicated a spring trip. No Co. high country in the spring (before july) unless you're bringing skis. Best bets are lower elevation (sub 7000") areas on the western slope; Grand Valley, Cortez, Paonia, Durango, Gunni...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the advice - sounds as if I'm best to do 3-4 locations of 3-4 days in the trip then?
    From the riding perspective I'm generally going to look at XC riding but I'm hoping to do the Whole Enchilda ride with a boost up on the bus.
    Previous advice said that most low areas would be accessible in April with reasonable weather - going in July would access the high stuff but also mean it's very hot at low level?

COBI - do you have a link or any other info on your suggestion?

Thanks again
    Jules

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesW View Post

I'm flying into/ out of Denver so I'm thinking Moab is approx 180m from Denver and prob furthest I'll go out without wasting too many days travelling.
    Denver to Moab is about 350 miles. Or about 5.5 hours. Fruita/Grand Junction is about 250 miles or about 4 hours from Denver.

If I were you, I would make a big loop from Denver south through Buena Vista and Salida, in hopes that some of the trails on the way were open, then to Durango and Cortez, Colorado (there will be some riding open at least in Cortez), then drive North to Moab, then to Grand Junction/Fruita and eventually back to Denver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the help everyone. Is the general view then that Fruita will mainly be open in April then?

Jules

mtbr member
    If all you want to ride is Moab and Fruita, flying into SLC is much closer (230 miles). If you want to hit other trails between Moab and Denver as part of your trip, then flying there would be preferred. Going in July opens a lot more options to you for high elevation riding, but yes Moab will be HOT.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Fruita will most certainly be open. The temperature differences between Fruita and Moab is about 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit, and some times not even that.