• 05-26-2009
    OTB
    missing magna in the Gulch?
    sio theres been a bike laying on the side of the trail for a few daze....hmmmm....


    also does anyone know for sure the status of old car loop? Is it private? BLM? There's a BLM sign that says the trail is open to mtb, but someone has gone up there with heavy equipment and it looks like they have intentionally gouged out huge ruts to disrupt the trail..
  • 05-26-2009
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OTB
    sio theres been a bike laying on the side of the trail for a few daze....hmmmm....


    also does anyone know for sure the status of old car loop? Is it private? BLM? There's a BLM sign that says the trail is open to mtb, but someone has gone up there with heavy equipment and it looks like they have intentionally gouged out huge ruts to disrupt the trail..

    Dunno 'bout the bike...hmmmmm...

    As for Car loop: (edited, i mis-read the post).



    Crazy that somebody gouged out the trail... heh, or not I guess... I saw signs last summer that said it was cool.

    Images from last summer....
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/...23a39316df.jpg




    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2147/...7159eb0f_o.jpg



    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/...bd3d0a87b2.jpg




    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/...ba11828f_o.jpg




    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...8aff4f55_o.jpg




    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/...8ebd52e7e0.jpg

    I felt a lot better about possibly trespassing when I ran across this sign. There is another one posted about a half mile further in to the trail.



    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/...589f4e21_o.jpg



    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/...d5b8c795_o.jpg

    Looking down on where the trail goes. This part is very overgrown with the thick stuff. Long sleeves or a machete would have been nice.


    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/...aa905f68_o.jpg


    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/...756d85e1_o.jpg


    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/...a1cbbdfb_o.jpg


    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/...8746f02a_o.jpg
  • 05-27-2009
    shoulderfu
    Very nice pics sir! :thumbsup:
  • 05-27-2009
    ameybrook
    The new skull rock trail has potential. Its still primitive, but the foundation is there for a sweet alternative to Cowboy in the future.
  • 05-27-2009
    forkboy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ameybrook
    The new skull rock trail has potential. Its still primitive, but the foundation is there for a sweet alternative to Cowboy in the future.

    Is the new Skull Rock trail anywhere near where the Old Skull Rock trail was?
  • 05-27-2009
    ameybrook
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by forkboy
    Is the new Skull Rock trail anywhere near where the Old Skull Rock trail was?

    Yes, its on some of the older maps.
  • 05-27-2009
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    Very nice pics sir! :thumbsup:

    Thanks!

    So, where does one obtain a map that shows skull rock - old or new?
  • 05-27-2009
    ameybrook
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jhazard
    Thanks!

    So, where does one obtain a map that shows skull rock - old or new?

    its off sidewinder, between Cowboy and Crites. Big ole stack o rocks marking the TH. :thumbsup:
  • 05-27-2009
    zrm
    Digging huge ruts and tank traps is a standard technique to decommission roads and to try to keep motor vehicles out of non motorized areas.
  • 05-27-2009
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ameybrook
    its off sidewinder, between Cowboy and Crites. Big ole stack o rocks marking the TH. :thumbsup:

    Ah - I think I found that by accident last year. Rode sidewinder to the end and took a left... meandered up a little bit, past a water tank, was really overgrown, and eventually back in to sidewinder... Thanks for the tip :p
  • 05-27-2009
    OTB
    so does that mean it's now private land?
  • 05-28-2009
    ameybrook
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jhazard
    Ah - I think I found that by accident last year. Rode sidewinder to the end and took a left... meandered up a little bit, past a water tank, was really overgrown, and eventually back in to sidewinder... Thanks for the tip :p

    No, that takes you out to the well road, and its used by the Dirt Lovers race, which seems like the only thing keeping it open.

    Skull Rock GPS image.

    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/ameybrook/sr.jpg
  • 05-28-2009
    ameybrook
    just realized that doesn't help much...

    that clearing below is the old gravel pit on which sidewinder pops out after passing Crites... if that helps. The Skull Rock drops you out right at the top of Big canyon.
  • 05-28-2009
    forkboy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ameybrook
    just realized that doesn't help much...

    that clearing below is the old gravel pit on which sidewinder pops out after passing Crites... if that helps. The Skull Rock drops you out right at the top of Big canyon.

    Here's where the old one was.....

    Attachment 459001
  • 05-28-2009
    shoulderfu
    Looks about right to me,once it gets ridden in it should be sweet!
  • 05-28-2009
    OTB
    So i just happened upon a trail where there was a skull and a bunch of cool medals hanging from a tree....then it proceeded to school me with some very fun DH..most fun i've had in a short while... Left a trail offering by the skull...:)
  • 05-28-2009
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OTB
    So i just happened upon a trail where there was a skull and a bunch of cool medals hanging from a tree....then it proceeded to school me with some very fun DH..most fun i've had in a short while... Left a trail offering by the skull...:)

    I think that's called Chad's trail (unofficially?). Used to be a small ladder type drop about 2/3 of the way through, but I think its been ripped out. Super fun trail, a gulch gem for sure :thumbsup:
  • 05-28-2009
    OTB
    It's still there....what a fun deal....
  • 05-28-2009
    OTB
    And so's the Magna:)
  • 05-31-2009
    Spokejunkies
    OTB I believe Chads with the medals was the trail you called "no fun and all work" or something like that last eyar..Sounds like you had a better experience with it this year..it's a fun trail
  • 06-01-2009
    OTB
    Guess I didn't see the medals last year....they made all the difference apparently...
  • 06-02-2009
    Monk_Knight
    Funny thing is that a lot of people call it Chad's Trail after Chad Cheeney, who made it... but Chad himself named it Secret Trail.

    Is the ladder drop there back? I rode it at the very end of last season (those switchbacks + 2 inches of powder = amazing) and it was falling apart and blocked off. Would have collapsed if someone had ridden it.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ameybrooke
    The new skull rock trail has potential. Its still primitive, but the foundation is there for a sweet alternative to Cowboy in the future.

    Yeah I just stumbled onto that last week. Looks like it could be really really fun if it got buffed out.
  • 06-04-2009
    shoulderfu
    That SWEET bike is still laying there as of thur 6/4......was gonna trade my crappy Maverick for da bomb Magna,but forgot my wrench to swap out the pedals.....oh well ;)
  • 06-04-2009
    forkboy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    That SWEET bike is still laying there as of thur 6/4......was gonna trade my crappy Maverick for da bomb Magna,but forgot my wrench to swap out the pedals.....oh well ;)

    Oh is that what this thread was about?

    It totally has a lock on it. That top-tube is ultra secure.

    Man - do I even ride bikes anymore? I think yesterday was my first time up Telegraph in about 2 months.
  • 06-04-2009
    OTB
    I'll bring the wrench as long as i get dibs on the leftovers....:)