Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719

    Marshall Pass to Sargents Mesa on the CT?

    We are camping outside of Salida and looking for interesting new riding opportunities. We will do the Monarch shuttle, the rideable parts of the rainbow, the stuff north near breck, but wanted to see if anybody has ridden the section of the CT from Marshall Pass to Sargents Mesa. Nobody working at Absolute bikes (great shop btw) had ridden it and we were trying to figure out if its worth it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    654
    I haven't done the section you're asking about, but I have ridden the Raspberry Gulch portion of the Colorado trail and thought it was awesome. It's about a 15 mile segment that runs from highway 50 north to Princeton hot springs. You can also ride it south; both directions are equally fun.

  3. #3
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719
    thanks, we had heard a good report on that section, good to confirm, we plan to hit it. we also did from mt Princeton to south cottonwood as an out n back, that was nice too although the climb back up from cottonwood had us on our souls a bit

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    thanks, we had heard a good report on that section, good to confirm, we plan to hit it. we also did from mt Princeton to south cottonwood as an out n back, that was nice too although the climb back up from cottonwood had us on our souls a bit
    Well, the climb up from highway 50 is pretty stout as well, but after that first painful mile the trail is quite good. Sounds like you're hittin' all the spots!

  5. #5
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,907
    I wouldn't recommend it. Steep, fall line trail means that anything that isn't pancake flat is really rutted and eroded and full of babyheads. I think moto riders really like this trail, or at least they used to. These days it isn't much fun on an MTB.

    Which is a bummer because it has HUGE potential. The bulk of the trail is on an E->W trending ridgeline at ~11k. It could be really good. But it pretty much needs a complete reroute to make it so.

    If you absolutely HAD to check it out, I'd start at North Pass and ride ~E towards Marshall. It'll be a reverse shuttle that way but probably still more enjoyable than riding it E->W.

    MC

  6. #6
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719
    thanks for the beta, thats what we were looking for. do you have any experience with the section of the CT from rt 114 going north to Sargents Mesa? thats another section that seems to look good on the map that we were thinking about checking it out

  7. #7
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,907
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    thanks for the beta, thats what we were looking for. do you have any experience with the section of the CT from rt 114 going north to Sargents Mesa? thats another section that seems to look good on the map that we were thinking about checking it out
    My comments were meant to include ALL of the CT from Silver Creek to 114/North Pass. I agree it all looks VERY tempting on the maps. I just went combing through the depths of my hard drive to find a pic to illustrate, but I can't find it.

    If it means anything, I rode it once, and would have to lose a bet to do it again!

    If I were you I'd look at the stuff on the other side of Hwy 50. The CDT leaving Monarch Pass heading north is surprisingly good in places--especially as you get closer to TinCup Pass.

    MC

  8. #8
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719
    sounds like we owe ya a beer for saving us a lot pain and anguish. great blog btw. How brutal is the CDT going north at monarch? we did a bit of it from above the alpine tunnel to tincup, climbing up from st elmo, and heard it was pretty narly from monarch going that way, but we are up for just about anything. couldnt quite figure out where ya base out of but we are gonna be through the gj/ fruita area after hitting gunny/ CB next week

  9. #9
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    6,907
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    sounds like we owe ya a beer for saving us a lot pain and anguish. great blog btw. How brutal is the CDT going north at monarch? we did a bit of it from above the alpine tunnel to tincup, climbing up from st elmo, and heard it was pretty narly from monarch going that way, but we are up for just about anything. couldnt quite figure out where ya base out of but we are gonna be through the gj/ fruita area after hitting gunny/ CB next week
    Heading north has it's difficult moments for sure--there's definitely good reason that 99.9% of the traffic heads south from the pass!

    That said, there are some hidden treasures and it is very worthwhile overall. Yes, there is hike a bike, but there are also some seemingly endless flowing descents. And skinny trail! I have a .gpx of that route somewhere--if someone in your group has one along and is fluent I'd be glad to dredge it up.

    MC

    Oh--I'm in GJ, but y'all would probably not much enjoy riding here right now. I escape to the alpine every chance I get these days. Today was relatively cool at ~94.

  10. #10
    Prez NMBA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    719
    i do have a garmin and the ability to deal with gpx if you happen to be able to find it, my email is mtbiker11@juno.com
    sounds like an adventure and we're all about adventure
    we have to pick a buddy up at the GJ airport then heading to do Telluride and durango so will probably hit 18 rd or koko for a short evening ride, when its down to 90 or so

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •