mtbr member
    Apr 2012

making our own epic descent

Ok western slopers, it's time to step up and fill the void created by the dumbing down of TWE in Moab. more info:
    R.I.P. Porcupine Singletrack. You had a good run!

I saw something in the Sentinel about the possibility of epic descent off the grand mesa and down to the Colorado river near Palisade. Anyone have more info about this? I'm interested in helping however possible: signatures, emails, trail building days, etc

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    Ok western slopers, it's time to step up and fill the void created by the dumbing down of TWE in Moab. more info:

I saw something in the Sentinel about the possibility of epic descent off the grand mesa and down to the Colorado river near Palisade. Anyone have more info about this? I'm interested in helping however possible: signatures, emails, trail building days, etc
    Should be able to get 5-6000 feet of vertical - that would be sweet.

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    You can find a link to the article on our webpage at Rapid Creek Cycles & Sports - Home

We're mainly responsible for the Pal Rim Trail, and this thinking behind this new route. It's a great opportunity and would be a killer route. Lots of planning to be done, and the BLM is also in the middle of a revamp of their 20 year baseline land use plan (Resource Management Plan), which has a big impact on planning like this. Thanks for the interest.

scott
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    1) The trail work makes up less 1% of that ride.

2) to suggest there is now a void is grossly exaggerating the changes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm with Jwind. The reports of PST being "dumbed" down or being dead is simply moronic.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The first thing that comes to my mind when you start talking about creating a "whole Enchilada" type experience out of some existing trails is what about the existing uses on those trails? Once you start introducing a large (or even not so large) scale shuttle type use, the trail(s) effectively are no longer multiple use and become good for only DH shuttled mountain biking and all the trail maintenance issues that go along with that kind of use. While if you think nothings better than being shuttled to the top of a long descent and ripping it down, or if you want to charge folks $25 a pop to drive them up there you might salivate at the thought, I can others might not be quite as enthused.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The first thing that comes to my mind when you start talking about creating a "whole Enchilada" type experience out of some existing trails is what about the existing uses on those trails? Once you start introducing a large (or even not so large) scale shuttle type use, the trail(s) effectively are no longer multiple use and become good for only DH shuttled mountain biking and all the trail maintenance issues that go along with that kind of use. While if you think nothings better than being shuttled to the top of a long descent and ripping it down, or if you want to charge folks $25 a pop to drive them up there you might salivate at the thought, I can others might not be quite as enthused.
    Get off my lawn, Old Man.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Get off my lawn, Old Man.
    Ha Ha, well Bacon Boy (bacon sucks BTW), if you want to propose something like this you'd best be thinking about all the issues. I know not everyone in Moab is happy about the Whole Enchilada phenomena. If your experience with Porcupine goes back before it became dominated by the bus loads of daily shuttled riders, you'll understand pretty clearly that being willing to invest pretty heavily in regular trail maintenance is an absolute necessity for that kind of use if you want your trails to last more than 5 or 6 years.

Personally, I think if you're going to propose establishing a trail(s) for the whole "epic descent" shuttle use, ideally you'd design a trail for that purpose and that purpose only. It wouldn't have to be an over the top technical gnar fest, but you could design it to be over all sustainable but with alternate lines here and there so it provides challenge for those who want super technical stuff but have "flow" and more mildly technical characteristics so as to not scare away the people who will be the economic drivers of the whole thing.