mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Lower elevation trails in CB

Hi folks,

I'm bringing a couple sea-leveler's out to CB for a couple days of riding.

They won't have much acclimation time before riding, so I was hoping to keep the riding on day one at a lower elevation. Planning to ride 401 on day 2, so I'm hoping to find something equally as epic but lower in elevation for the first day.

Any ideas??

also....is it logical to ride 401 and dr park in one day? Or would dr park coincide with another trail more?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think you could easily ride 401 and Doctor Park in one day, especially if you used a shuttle up to the spring creek crossing on Dr. Park. From there it's only around a 10mi ride.

As far as "low elevation" I would check out maybe strand/ferris. You could also combo Snodgrass, Lupine and Lower loop easily. If it's not too hot or you go in the morning I would suggest Hartman rocks in Gunnison, all the riding is around 8,000ft or lower.

You could also shuttle dyke trail which wouldn't require much climbing.

mtbr member
    Elevation is part of the riding, grit it out, walk if it's too hard, and enjoy the beauty of the rooftop of Colorado. When i first moved here, I had to hoof it up plenty of trails, 25 years later, I still have to get off the bike once and a while, but take a drink, hoof it out and enjoy the hard earned views, and downhills.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Elevation is part of the riding, grit it out, walk if it's too hard, and enjoy the beauty of the rooftop of Colorado. When i first moved here, I had to hoof it up plenty of trails, 25 years later, I still have to get off the bike once and a while, but take a drink, hoof it out and enjoy the hard earned views, and downhills.
    I concur. Just make sure everyone is thoroughly hydrated, take it easy, and enjoy where you are. A day riding between 9-10 K is not going to make the next day riding at 10-12K any easier.

In my experience, some people will actually get altitude sickness. Those people are likely to get it, regardless of any tactics you take other than keeping them at high elevation for a month. Anybody who isn't acclimated is going to feel a hit. If their fitness is poor anyway it's going to be worse.

If you're really concerned about this, CB is the wrong place to go. But you see, it isn't! It's totally the right place to go!

Keep in mind, if somebody does actually get sick, vomiting, flu-like symptoms take them to Gunnison right away where the air is a little fatter. If they have fluid accumulating in their lungs, take them to the Gunny hospital.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    ^^^ This. Big climbs/descents are the nature of the beast here in CB. If you only have a few days to ride and are taking it easy for a day you'll have limited time to experience some of the classics. Just going slower and enjoying the day with a nice cold beer afterward is the ticket