mtbr member
    Oct 2006

looking for Telluride singletrack rides

howdy - coming to Telluride next week for 3 days with my all-mountain bike in search of singletrack - looking for 2 - 5 hour rides in the area - many thanks in advance for suggestions! (oreilly.jackson@gmail.com)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok, since no one with any direct beta is piping up... Your about a month too early. Most of the high-country singletrack is still under snow. Mini golf on the sunny-side (Rudi's), or locals loop is about all you can count on. I did talk to someone who rode wilson mesa trail the other day but I bet he ran into a fair amount of snow and mud. Most locals are still driving to lower elevations to ride. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    rode wilson mesa trail thursday. was awesome and dry. also eider creek to deep creek is dry and was fun. good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jborof View Post
    rode wilson mesa trail thursday. was awesome and dry. also eider creek to deep creek is dry and was fun. good luck
    Eider creek is never "fun" lil' general.

mtbr member
    I'll be visiting again from ATL in July for just a couple days. This is the 1 epic ride i got my eye on. I figure this will take 5-6 hrs & i'm sure will be pretty tough. I'm training hard for it.

Gondola>Mtn Village>Prospect Trail>Alta Lakes>T-35>LT on Illium Rd>Ames Galloping Goose Trail>Sunshine Mesa Rd>Sunshine Mesa>Wilson Mesa 421>420 maybe>Woods Lake>Hwy145/River Road Trail>Bilk Creek Railroad Grade>Galloping Goose>Valley Floor Trail>Town.

I also def want to hit Jurassic & Meadows Trail.

Mtn Village>Jurassic Trail>Meadows Trail>Lawson Hill>Galloping Goose>Bilk Creek Railroad Grade>Hwy145>Deep Creek Rd>Last Dollar Rd>Town

I would absolutely love to ride from Ophir>Hwy 550 & ride Black Bear Pass into town but i'd need a shuttle.

When I leave Telluride, I'm hitting Dolores/Boggy Draw. I love that forest & the flowy, fast, intermediate stuff there. And from there, Salida, riding the Colorado Trail from Monarch/South Fooses Creek>Mtn Princeton Hot Springs!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That first ride will be epic, lots-o-miles. Alta lakes to t-35 can be confusing; just go down. Lots of options to bail or just shorten things up if needed. Ophir/black bear can be done from T-ride; just start the same way you would for your first ride: Gondola>prospect>alta lakes>L on 145>Ophir, ect. Have fun!

mtbr member
    any suggestions near Illium area? heading down in a few weeks for bluegrass, I need to spin the legs after I drink a lot of beer and eat loads of crap food.
    Thanks,
    NEIL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    go up the sunshine mesa road (south) to the galloping goose. take that out to the highway at ophir. make a left and climb up to the alta lakes turn, then a couple hundred yards further to the t-35 trail (starts at a speed sign that used to be 35 and is now 40). hang a left and head back down into ilium on a great single track descent. make a right on the road and return to the camping area. about 1.5 hrs. good one.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Is there a "preferred/fun" direction on the Illium section of the Galloping Goose trail?

mtbr member
    Sorry I meant the Ames section of the Galloping Goose Trail. Is there a "preferred/funner" direction??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    According to the Local's Loop ride description on the back of the map, it is "enjoyable in either direction".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yep enjoyable either direction, but sets up best to go south on the goose up to the ophir loop from the camping area (north end of the valley).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For me, down is always the preferred/fun direction. That would be Ames to Illium. Keep in mind that all of the G.G. is old R.R. grade, so the pitch is moderate and consistant. The "locals loop" description is referring to the G.G. section from Lawson Hill (T-ride) to Illium, which is also the preferred/fun direction; down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    some comments from a visitor for others... I bought the trail map and took 3 rides. The map looks nice, but the signage doesn't go well with the map, or there are a lot of signs missing/needed.

-Bear Creek is a no brainer - climb 1000 feet, beautiful waterfalls at the top, descend.

-Mill Creek Rd. - not difficult to find although this dirt road isn't signed where it starts at the bike path, and there will be no signage that says "Mill Creek Trail" - just follow road up and keep right at fork, unless you want to go up Eider Crk. trail, - go almost to the end of the road, the trail will be to the left, eventually you'll see the fork, left for Deep Creek, right to follow clockwise loop back to town, the sign reads Jud Wiebe Trail however the map shows this trail as "Mill Creek Waterline" #13, but there's no such signage. Cross bridge over steep creek, keep going, some minor exposure here, singletrack until dirt road, here there's no signage either: Left to technical Jud Wiebe, right down the steeep road back to town. I saw some folks on rental bikes on this ride that shouldn't have been there - it's got some nice but technical down down down.

-Local's Loop - pretty easy to follow Valley Floor out of town, across 145, detour signs for Galloping Goose, then down singletrack, and eventually across a bridge. That's where it all fell apart for me: I followed Galloping Goose sign and came to Sunshine Mesa Rd, where another sign read "Galloping Goose" and and arrow pointing up Sunshine Mesa - so I rode up 2.5 miles looking for a cutoff - the map is way off here and there are no more signs that I saw for Galloping Goose. I rode back down to intersection of Ilium & Sunshine M., then went back up Sunshine Mesa about 200 feet and an unsigned dirt road goes off to the right - I assumed this was the Bilk Creek RR Grade - I don't know where I messed up, but I kept following that road down which eventually turned into technical singletrack down down with trees signed "Private Property" every 100 feet. Eventually ended up at Ilium Industrial and Vance, not on the map, so up the highway (ugh!) I rode. Very confusing down there, I'm sure I missed some cutoff, but don't know where. By that time I'd already gone 15 miles and didn't have enough time to do Deep Crk Rd and Penelope's Cruise which I'd wanted to do - I never saw Deep Crk. Rd. either as I rode up the highway. I took the Valley Floor trail back to town. 22 miles, 1,500 ft of climbing total.

A very nice-looking map, $10, but as often happens in my extensive travels throughout the USA from East to West Coasts and many places between, for locals the trails are obvious, but for first-timers, the map and signage on trails often just don't jive.

btw - Moab has really come a long way in the 3 years since I last was there - lots of new trails, all the trails truly amazingly well signed, the new map is excellent, and a lot of freshly painted stripes where needed on slickrock.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Is there a good trail map/trail conditions guide for Telluride riding? We might come down from Boulder area to ride around Telluride/Durango for a week. Is the snow melting out quickly down there? We would try to get down there end of June time frame

mtbr member
    If anyone else is going to be in tride this weekend Id be down for some riding fri-sun.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""