stl_burner

Looking for a Specific Place to Visit - Help Please?

We are a group of 4 to 6 guys looking for a getaway to west/southwest CO, late July. I've done my internet scouring but can't seem to find the exact spot that we're looking for. We have mainly mountain bikers, and one fisherman. We're looking for a small mountain town in which to set up home base. We'd like to be able to ride to town as well as trails. MTB rentals may be needed but could be picked up elsewhere I guess. Hopefully there is some life in town where we can have a late night or two, but we'd like small. For lodging we'd love to find a cheap cabin ("primitive" is fine) where we can hole up, again riding distance to town and trails. Hopefully there is a river that we can float on rest days. So far my research has turned up the following towns, but each has their own reason why we haven't locked in on them. I'll list those. Are we too picky, misinformed, or do you have the perfect suggestion?

Crested Butte - Can't find reasonable lodging. Can we ride to the trails?
    Durango - Way too big.
    Ouray - No MTB trails in the immediate vicinity
    Telluride - Can't find lodging. Town too pricey?
    Fruita/Grand Junction - We've been, loved it.

Tigers love pepper...
    GJ/Fruita area is way bigger than Durango. I would have said Durango based on your description. Telluride would work as well.

I think you can ride to a few trails in CB but probably not some of the more famous ones (at least not realistically).

Maybe look at Vail or Aspen but they will be as expensive or worse than what you've already looked at.

If I was you I think I'd take a closer look at Durango.

If you're not locked into SW CO maybe look at Winter Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Steamboat Springs

stl_burner
    Thank you all for taking the time to provide us with some direction. Now it's time to do a little bit more research based on your suggestions. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Might want to consider Salida. It's more central Colorado and is just east of continetal divide; however, it would probably be relatively affordable and has great biking in town.

the S Mountain trails are right in town and your not too far from the Monarch Crest Trail and tons of other great riding.