Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    226

    Looking for the best of

    First of I would like to send my best thoughts to those who have been affected by the fires and wishing everyone a quick recovery.

    I know you get a lot of these requests but I have done a lot of searching and am looking for more advice. A buddy of mine and I are doing a road trip through Colorado in 2 weeks. We are leaving Phoenix Friday the 13th and need to be in Cheyenne Friday the 20th. We are bringing 6 inch full squish bikes and donít mind climbing if the otherside is worth it. I would consider us trail riders, that love single track. Tech is always welcome but not a full face and body armor type rider.

    So far all we know is Durango is likely our first stop and Hermosa looks to be a gem. Other than that Telluride Gunnison Salida Keystone Creste Butte , all look like mountain bike heaven and places we are considering.

    So my question to you is if you had a week long road trip, what are the must do trails and the best bike shops to visit. We are looking for scenic trails with high fun factor. And if anybody is interested in leading a ride post ride beers would be our treat and of course the favor would be returned in AZ anytime.

    Thanks
    Kris
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimon View Post
    So my question to you is if you had a week long road trip, what are the must do trails and the best bike shops to visit. We are looking for scenic trails with high fun factor. And if anybody is interested in leading a ride post ride beers would be our treat and of course the favor would be returned in AZ anytime.

    Thanks
    Kris
    If you're really looking for scenic, great rides, skip Hermosa Creek and ride Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade. It has everything you describe. Consider Kennebec Pass back to Durango using a Hermosa Tours shuttle as well. The climbs will be well worth the views and downhill.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  3. #3
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    If you're really looking for scenic, great rides, skip Hermosa Creek and ride Molas->Coal Bank->Cascade. It has everything you describe. Consider Kennebec Pass back to Durango using a Hermosa Tours shuttle as well. The climbs will be well worth the views and downhill.
    Thanks for the heads up will do this for sure.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,362
    Skip Hermosa. Way overrated, and not much fun on a 6" bike.

    If you go to Salida check out Monarch Pass to Boss lake via the CDT. It's a ride I was just turned onto and it's the best I've done out there. Very scenic, and plenty of chunk and tech for a 6" bike.

    I really like Teocalli in Crested Butte, Wasatch in Telluride, Lenawee in the Keystone area, DH is great at the resort too, best in the state IMO.

    You should ride Curt Gowdy state park when you get to WY. They have some really fun trails for 6" bikes. There's an area called Middle Kingdom with doubles, drops, berms, step downs... All very well built medium sized stuff well suited to trail bikes. I wish we had at least one trail like Curt Gowdy here in Durango. Ironically, it was built by CO riders for a WY state park in an area that has a fraction of the riding community we have here, but I digress.

  5. #5
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Skip Hermosa. Way overrated, and not much fun on a 6" bike.

    If you go to Salida check out Monarch Pass to Boss lake via the CDT. It's a ride I was just turned onto and it's the best I've done out there. Very scenic, and plenty of chunk and tech for a 6" bike.

    I really like Teocalli in Crested Butte, Wasatch in Telluride, Lenawee in the Keystone area, DH is great at the resort too, best in the state IMO.

    You should ride Curt Gowdy state park when you get to WY. They have some really fun trails for 6" bikes. There's an area called Middle Kingdom with doubles, drops, berms, step downs... All very well built medium sized stuff well suited to trail bikes. I wish we had at least one trail like Curt Gowdy here in Durango. Ironically, it was built by CO riders for a WY state park in an area that has a fraction of the riding community we have here, but I digress.
    Great info thanks we will check those out for sure. We are planning to hit Curt Gowdy as well but glad to hear it is so good. I did not start mountain biking tell I moved to Phoenix from Wyoming so I am looking forward to some non desert riding
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  6. #6
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Skip Hermosa. Way overrated, and not much fun on a 6" bike.
    Absolutely.


    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I really like Teocalli in Crested Butte,
    Still closed I'm pretty sure.

    Another vote for Molas-> Cascade. Plan for 4-5 hours of epic high country singletrack with the most unreal 20 minute DH finish through the pines and aspens.


    Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy



  7. #7
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Skip Hermosa. Way overrated, and not much fun on a 6" bike.
    It wasn't always overrated... when most of those "Best Of" lists came out in the late 90's, early 'oughts, it was.

    But it's been loved to death.

    Still pretty sweet if you ride it up and back, on an early morning (no traffic) right after it rains (no dust).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    It wasn't always overrated... when most of those "Best Of" lists came out in the late 90's, early 'oughts, it was.

    But it's been loved to death.

    Still pretty sweet if you ride it up and back, on an early morning (no traffic) right after it rains (no dust).
    I hear you. Kind of like Slick Rock Trail, Hermosa is an old school classic. What's fun in MTB is relative to each rider. Hermosa as an out n back on a 6" bike would be the worst ride I can think of in our area. I instantly assume anyone on a 6" bike won't find Hermosa much fun, I wouldn't have recommended skipping Hermosa if the OP said they ride XC bikes.

    Here's my take on Hermosa: no sustained ups or downs; the terrain is the same top to bottom, and it's crowed. I don't even like riding Jones/pink/dutch because you have to ride the most crowded boring section of Hermosa at the end. Yes I know, I'm very picky. There's so many rides to choose from around here, I'm able to do rides that suite my style and taste. We are lucky to live where we do!

  9. #9
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I hear you. Kind of like Slick Rock Trail, Hermosa is an old school classic. What's fun in MTB is relative to each rider. Hermosa as an out n back on a 6" bike would be the worst ride I can think of in our area. I instantly assume anyone on a 6" bike won't find Hermosa much fun, I wouldn't have recommended skipping Hermosa if the OP said they ride XC bikes.!
    What about Telluride? Headed there in a couple of weeks on a 6" bike. What's not to miss aside from liftserve?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post

    I really like Teocalli in Crested Butte, Wasatch in Telluride, .

    Dude. That's arguably just plain rude. How long would Wasatch take a 6in bike? Its 4k+ in 8 miles. Props if the OP pulls it off. Teo would be great on a big bike but I wouldn't want to climb it on one. Just my 2cents.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    Dude. That's arguably just plain rude. How long would Wasatch take a 6in bike? Its 4k+ in 8 miles. Props if the OP pulls it off. Teo would be great on a big bike but I wouldn't want to climb it on one. Just my 2cents.
    Rude?? OP didn't ask for easy trail rides, he asked for the goods. Anyone interested in Wasatch will look into it and see for themselves what it's all about.

    Do you think a 6" bike is a dedicated DH bike or something? Obviously you are ignorant of what 6" bikes are all about. Those that ride 6" bikes know they can handle any climb they want.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Rude?? OP didn't ask for easy trail rides, he asked for the goods. Anyone interested in Wasatch will look into it and see for themselves what it's all about.

    Do you think a 6" bike is a dedicated DH bike or something? Obviously you are ignorant of what 6" bikes are all about. Those that ride 6" bikes know they can handle any climb they want.
    Rude? Yes, not you good sir but Wasatch. That climb is rude on the lightest of bikes. Ruder on heavier bikes. But it definitely qualifies as the goods. Perhaps the best in Telluride. I used to work the front desk of a B&B in CB and I was often reprimanded by my boss for sending people out on monster rides I didn't consider monster. He said it was "rude" to the guests.

    Just wanted to stress that to the OP. Wasatch is ****1ng sick but you pay dearly for the pleasure of descending Bear Creek.

  13. #13
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    Just wanted to stress that to the OP. Wasatch is ****1ng sick but you pay dearly for the pleasure of descending Bear Creek.
    I'm in. I have no choice but to ride a 34lb coil Nomad or a single speed. Not ideal in the high country, but I've done. Really, the biggest problem is the lack of air coming from feet. Oh that an no granny gear. That sucks too.

  14. #14
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    Dude. Its 4k+ in 8 miles. .
    I missed that, the first go around. Wow. Is that mainly single track or double track?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I missed that, the first go around. Wow. Is that mainly single track or double track?
    The climb is all double, the descent is all single. One of the most hateful climbs in the state, but the views and the descent are worth it.

  16. #16
    BSG
    BSG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    347
    Telluride area

    Alta Lakes- Great 3 hour ride
    Eider creek- Great 2 Hour ride(big singletrack climb)
    Mill Creek- Great 1 hour ride
    Wasatch Connector(better downhill in my mind then the full Wasatch and only 3 hours)
    Wasatch is fun- Brutal in spots and the first part of the downhill is not my favorite but its always cool riding at high elevation for such a long time.
    Black hawk pass- Awesome 5 hour ride
    Wilson Mesa- Fun 3-6 hour ride depending on routs
    Many other that can not be mentioned

  17. #17
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by BSG View Post
    Many other that can not be mentioned
    Por Que?

  18. #18
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,978
    I've ridden Teo Cali on a rigid singlespeed. I would LOVE to go back and ride it on my "big bike" (5.5" travel).

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    108
    I would add "Phil's World" to the must do list.

    Not the most scenic, that would be Molas/Coal Bank, but for fun it pegs the needle.

    jummo

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174
    come to fruita, we are a day's drive from cheyanne. a day's drive from phoenix. your 6 inch bikes will like it here. stop in Over the Edge for info on trails. Fruita, CO | OTE Sports

    yes, i am biased, but i think horsetheif bench and zippity do dah are must do trails, and i think over the edge sports is the best bike shop in the western slope.

  21. #21
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by BSG View Post
    Telluride area

    Alta Lakes- Great 3 hour ride
    Eider creek- Great 2 Hour ride(big singletrack climb)
    Mill Creek- Great 1 hour ride
    Wasatch Connector(better downhill in my mind then the full Wasatch and only 3 hours)
    Wasatch is fun- Brutal in spots and the first part of the downhill is not my favorite but its always cool riding at high elevation for such a long time.
    Black hawk pass- Awesome 5 hour ride
    Wilson Mesa- Fun 3-6 hour ride depending on routs
    Many other that can not be mentioned
    Great list thank you. Wasatch looks and sounds amazing but that climb sounds brutal on several days straight of riding but we will see when we get there this is a great starting point though.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  22. #22
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    come to fruita, we are a day's drive from cheyanne. a day's drive from phoenix. your 6 inch bikes will like it here. stop in Over the Edge for info on trails. Fruita, CO | OTE Sports

    yes, i am biased, but i think horsetheif bench and zippity do dah are must do trails, and i think over the edge sports is the best bike shop in the western slope.
    I dont think we will make Fruita this trip but it is on the books for the near future. Plan to hit that along with moab later in the fall or next spring. I have heard good things about Over the Edge in Fruita and their shop in sedona is one of my favorites.

    So alot of chatter about Durango Telluride and some Crested Butte, any where else we need to hit like salida, gunnison, just watched the video on monarch crest trail that looks pretty cool.

    This trip is getting close I am getting excited.

    Thanks all
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  23. #23
    Let'er Buck
    Reputation: kdimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    226
    Oh and our 6 inch bikes are trail bikes so not crazy dh ready but also can climb respectably.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    174
    while in durango, i suggest eating at steamworks brewing - their slider appetizer is super tasty
    Durango restaurants - Steamworks Brewing in Durango Colorado | Steamworks Brewing - Durango Brewpub

    also stop by ska brewing company cause they are awesome (if you like beer)

    and eat at serious texas bbq (if you like meat).

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dangerDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    183
    kdimon,
    check your PM
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •