Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pick a wheel size...

Lions / Troy / Mack - Are They Worth It?

Hey CO riders...

I'm trying to put together our "loose" itinerary for the upcoming Moab/Fruita/GJ trip next week. I've got pretty much everything planned out....all except what to do the day we ride the Loma/Kokopelli Trails.

Details - 10 riders, most with XC roots. Most are very strong riders, most are "in shape", most have upper intermediate tech skills, a few have expert tech skills. Most will be on 29er FS, one on 29er HT, and three on 26er FS.

Everyone in the group has been here multiple times and we love it. In '10 we did Moore Fun west---> east at the suggestion of Over the Edge Sports and it was awesome. Lots of climbing at the beginning but the descent was awesome. We then linked up to Mary's, did H/Thief, broke out onto Steve/s, back to Mary's and then back to the parking lot.

This trip we could use a shake-up, so to speak. Thinking of adding in Lions/Mack/Troy in whatever shape or form we can. From what I've gathered thus far is Mack is the "best" of the 3 but it sounds like it's more a function of how strong a rider you are and what you like.

Being that this will fall on the 5th day of the trip, after knocking down The Whole Enchilada and the Mag 7 to name a few, we're likely to be a bit less fresh than when we started the trip. The ride we've done out here in the past (~16 miles) wasn't ever too hard or exhausting as we ended up out at 18rd to finish off the day, so we have enough in the tank to tack on a loop or two.

So far, this is what I'm thinking:
    Start at west end of Moore Fun > Mary's > Horsethief > Steve's > Lion's > Mack Ridge back to parking lot. Should be nearly 25-ish miles?

What would you guys suggest?

Bite Me.
    Go the other way - start with Mack. There's a new section going down that lets you avoid the jeep track, then finish out the others. The climb up Mack is fun and good to start with when you are fresh, the others will be a nice wind down back to the cars. Sounds like a fun trip.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We usually start that loop with Mary's and end it with Moore Fun. Since you always want to end a ride with the best descent on the route.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yes they are worth it. if you want to do all three, you can go out lions, climb up the double track to troy built, ride troy built, then you get the worst climb in the universe up the double track road, and come down mack ridge.

OR - climb up mack ridge, do the new singletrack connector, and from there either come back lions or do troy built. then you either come back down mack or come back lions. either way you do it, it will be fun and it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah they are worth it. But i would try and ride everything if your not doing moore fun and if you guys are good riders should be no problem. Maybe end up with around 40 or so miles but well worth the 1/2 day of riding. Start out at rustlers to mary's to horse thief back to marys to steves back to mary to lions/troy back to marys to car. This is not a bad loop even after doing some big rides elsewhere.

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm no a big fan of lions in either direction, and I'm not the strongest rider (which is probably why I don't do those loops much) but I prefer up Mack, skip the new singletrack decent and go down the double track and do Troys counter-clockwise and finish with Lions, although I would prefer to go back up and do Mack the other direction.

Disclaimer: I've never ridden troys clockwise, it could be great that direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    Hey CO riders...

I'm trying to put together our "loose" itinerary for the upcoming Moab/Fruita/GJ trip next week. I've got pretty much everything planned out....all except what to do the day we ride the Loma/Kokopelli Trails.

Details - 10 riders, most with XC roots. Most are very strong riders, most are "in shape", most have upper intermediate tech skills, a few have expert tech skills. Most will be on 29er FS, one on 29er HT, and three on 26er FS.

Everyone in the group has been here multiple times and we love it. In '10 we did Moore Fun west---> east at the suggestion of Over the Edge Sports and it was awesome. Lots of climbing at the beginning but the descent was awesome. We then linked up to Mary's, did H/Thief, broke out onto Steve/s, back to Mary's and then back to the parking lot.

This trip we could use a shake-up, so to speak. Thinking of adding in Lions/Mack/Troy in whatever shape or form we can. From what I've gathered thus far is Mack is the "best" of the 3 but it sounds like it's more a function of how strong a rider you are and what you like.

Being that this will fall on the 5th day of the trip, after knocking down The Whole Enchilada and the Mag 7 to name a few, we're likely to be a bit less fresh than when we started the trip. The ride we've done out here in the past (~16 miles) wasn't ever too hard or exhausting as we ended up out at 18rd to finish off the day, so we have enough in the tank to tack on a loop or two.

So far, this is what I'm thinking:
    Start at west end of Moore Fun > Mary's > Horsethief > Steve's > Lion's > Mack Ridge back to parking lot. Should be nearly 25-ish miles?

What would you guys suggest?
    I like this as a big ride out there

heres a write up form my last trip out there

http://www.mtb-hol.com/arizona_utah_...o_2008/day_14.

I'll be flying out in a just over a week , and may do this ride again as its nice...
    My MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Heh - that's the exact "big" ride my buds and I do...

Pick a wheel size...
    wow guys!

thanks for all the recommendations, this community is always a big help.

I'm pretty sure we won't be up for a BIG ride at this point in the trip....after knocking down TWE, Mag 7, Amasa Back, and a few other trails, the day we're at the Kokopelli's TH will be 5 days into the trip. We won't be as fresh as we were when we started.

So...here's what we're thinking:

Take Moore Fun east to west -> Mack Ridge -> Lion's -> Handcuff's/Steve's -> Mary's -> Horsethief -> Mary's and done.

Going this way we get Moore Fun E2W which we've never done. We get Mack and Lion's, which we've never done. So 2 new trails and 1 almost new trail. This will get us what, 23-25ish miles? Decent ride and leaves some in the tank for day 6, which is the Lunch Loops in GJ.

Thanks again for all your input...this is gonna be an amazing trip!

Pick a wheel size...
    OR, if we wanted to end the ride with the best descent we could skip Moore at the start and head down Mary's -> Hthief -> Mary's -> Hcuffs/Steve's -> Mack -> Lion's -> Moore.

Granted, we'd be doing Moore W2E, which is the same as we rode it before, but if it's truly the *best* descent......and I agree 100%, it's always best to end the ride with an amazing descent...it just makes you feel better about the entire ride.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Take Moore Fun east to west -> Mack Ridge -> Lion's -> Handcuff's/Steve's -> Mary's -> Horsethief -> Mary's and done.

Going this way we get Moore Fun E2W which we've never done.
    Ummm... just a warning - I've got a mate that's been trying to convince me to do MF E->W... but he is a self-admitted "climbing-lover" and doesn't particularly dig chunky tech. Which makes me skeptical of the E->W route.

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Ummm... just a warning - I've got a mate that's been trying to convince me to do MF E->W... but he is a self-admitted "climbing-lover" and doesn't particularly dig chunky tech. Which makes me skeptical of the E->W route.
    see, and I remember the W->E route being a crazy chunky tech climb to the top! I can imagine that would be a *gas* going down.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    OR, if we wanted to end the ride with the best descent we could skip Moore at the start and head down Mary's -> Hthief -> Mary's -> Hcuffs/Steve's -> Mack -> Lion's -> Moore.

Granted, we'd be doing Moore W2E, which is the same as we rode it before, but if it's truly the *best* descent......and I agree 100%, it's always best to end the ride with an amazing descent...it just makes you feel better about the entire ride.
    One way to do it is to start at the parking lot for the west-end of MF. That's where the Mack Ridge descent will drop you. Then you're doing MF when you're fresh...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    see, and I remember the W->E route being a crazy chunky tech climb to the top! I can imagine that would be a *gas* going down.
    Yes - it is. It's just less vert than from the top to the east end. I'm gonna do the west end as an out-n-back to the top some time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Aaron, Hogue, Henzen, Stephens and I are heading out as you guys are heading back (oct 6-13). Let me know what routes your choose for Kokopelli and for lunch loops, we havent done them before. It'll probably be out first day out and I dont want to kill everyone with a long ride if we're going to hit TWE the next day.

Pick a wheel size...
    yo Doug!

I'd say do the route we did when we were out there in '10:

park at the Moore Fun parking lot and start there. go Moore Fun W->E, Mary's, Horsethief, Mary's, Steve/s/Handcuffs, Mary's back to the car.

here's the garmin info on the ride:
    Kokopelli Trails, Fruita CO by kingsqc at Garmin Connect - Details

and the photo recap:
    9 Flatlanders head west...

about 17 miles and we had plenty in the tank to go ride 18rd for a few hours...should be a nice warmup for the crew the day before The Whole Enchilada.

hope you guys have a safe and fun trip!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    yo Doug!

park at the Moore Fun parking lot and start there. go Moore Fun W->E, Mary's, Horsethief, Mary's, Steve/s/Handcuffs, Mary's back to the car.

here's the garmin info on the ride:
    Kokopelli Trails, Fruita CO by kingsqc at Garmin Connect - Details

and the photo recap:
    9 Flatlanders head west...

about 17 miles and we had plenty in the tank to go ride 18rd for a few hours...should be a nice warmup for the crew the day before The Whole Enchilada.

hope you guys have a safe and fun trip!

Everyone keeps talking about resting or being to tired after riding TWE, its almost all downhill the hardest part of the day is hiking (riding good luck) up to the top unless your going to do some other side trails or exploring up on burro. Your day at mack ridge will be way tougher then the TWE if done right. Don't get me wrong TWE is awesome but don't cut yourself short at mack ridge because your riding TWE the day before or after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The volume of chunkiness seems the same to me for the E-W climb vs. the W-E climb - lots in either direction. It's just that the W-E direction has a steeper but shorter climb and leaves a longer downhill than the E-W direction. On the other hand, it's easier to imagine cleaning the climb in the E-W direction because you do not have to ascend the tight switchback on the west hill.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

No no no! This is the wrong way to do this. If you park at the MF parking lot and don't do Mack Ridge you end up with a disappointing *climb* back to the car.

Which is a big no-no.

Pick a wheel size...
    No no no! This is the wrong way to do this. If you park at the MF parking lot and don't do Mack Ridge you end up with a disappointing *climb* back to the car.

Which is a big no-no.
    hahaha! well ok then....

so, based on the route I described above, after Steve's/Handcuffs I'm assuming you would take Lions to Mack and descend to the MF parking lot?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    hahaha! well ok then....

so, based on the route I described above, after Steve's/Handcuffs I'm assuming you would take Lions to Mack and descend to the MF parking lot?
    Right. Or throw in Troy Built. The climb from the N side of Troy Built up to Mack SUCKS, though.

Bite Me.
    To totally mix things up you just skip the Loma stuff, stop at Rabbit Valley, do Zion Curtain to Westwater Overlook, back down to Western Rim in reverse, then home on Trail 2 - just for something completely different. Or you could just spend the day at the Dinosaur Museum and then pig out on Chicken Fried Steak at Starvin' Arvins.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    to totally mix things up you just skip the loma stuff, stop at rabbit valley, do zion curtain to westwater overlook, back down to western rim in reverse, then home on trail 2 - just for something completely different. Or you could just spend the day at the dinosaur museum and then pig out on chicken fried steak at starvin' arvins.
    ftmfw!

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    To totally mix things up you just skip the Loma stuff, stop at Rabbit Valley, do Zion Curtain to Westwater Overlook, back down to Western Rim in reverse, then home on Trail 2 - just for something completely different. Or you could just spend the day at the Dinosaur Museum and then pig out on Chicken Fried Steak at Starvin' Arvins.
    hahaha! that's awesome!

I've been having a craving for chicken fried steak somethin fierce!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oh - don't forget the new section of Mack Ridge, too - climbs up off Lion's to the top of the plateau.

Zoom in on this map to see the new section off the S side of Mack Ridge: The Skid Map

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast