Flaccid Member

Leaf Peeper madness near Mancos and Durango

What's the latest report on when the fall colors on the aspens stands are going to start popping in Mancos and above Durango on the Colorado Trail between Molas Pass, Engineer Mountain and Cascade Creek at the bottom.

Post pics if you have them. Soon.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hasn't started yet. Silverton hadn't started changing. Durango is generally a week after Silverton peak. I expect 2-3 more weeks.

First weekend in Oct was peak up high last year

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Flaccid Member
    Sorry, I got a little excited there... never too early to try to start planning.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Speaking of the high country how soggy is it? Here in AZ it's been more tropical than desert. I was thinking of escaping the monsoonal deluge that Flagstaff is under-going and hitting up Molas Pass or Kennebec-down this coming weekend. But it appears to have been raining quite a bit in the high country as well. Drying trend this weekend here but maybe not in Colorado.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    I don't know about this weekend, but it has been raining almost 36 hours straight here in town and I imagine up in the mountains.
    Wettest monsoon season I can recall in 12 yeas of Durango.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I rode about 50 miles of the Colorado Trail betweeen Rico and Durango this past weekend and the trail was in stellar condition. There were some big puddles but most of the trail was nice and tacky without being muddy. It has rained a bunch since then so it might be messy now.

mtbr member
    Second wettest July-Sept monsoon since 1950 in Flagstaff. Trails that are typically perfect immediately after a rain are mud bogs. It appears to me the San Juans are in for one more day of wet weather which doesn't bode well for this weekend.

Anyone know when Hermosa Tours shuts their shuttles down for the season?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    It is interesting that the Durango Herald has an article today that this is not a significant monsoon, but it sure seems that way to me.
    Glad you guys down south are getting a good one, I know you can use it.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Flaccid Member
    Well, as we all know, the Front Range has it's trout swimming in the streets today. How's the fly fishing on the Dolores below McPhee reservoir? Biking and fly fishing in fall colors would be an awesome thing to add to my bucket list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Well, as we all know, the Front Range has it's trout swimming in the streets today. How's the fly fishing on the Dolores below McPhee reservoir? Biking and fly fishing in fall colors would be an awesome thing to add to my bucket list.
    Conditions are pretty great down here right now. The river is a little blown out from the rain up high but should clear quickly. Probably need to use some bright streamers for fly fishing right now. Trails around Dolores are holding up pretty well. Hope you guys all come out alright after the massive flooding up there. Amazing to watch the videos and see the pictures.

mtbr member
    Grand Canyon river trip on the docket for me next week but we're planning on either Durango or NM (S. Boundary and such) on the weekend of Oct 12th-13th. Seems like the fall colors might be a bit later this year anyway. Or, Dolores and up Johnny Bull to Calico and over to Stoner Mesa. Need a shuttle though. At least I do.

Simply amazing the amount of water here in N. Arizona. I can't imagine the amount the front range got. The Paria River hit 6000 cfs plus. The gage hung up and the peak might have been close to 9000 cfs but it was 100 yr event type stuff.

Flaccid Member
    Any updates from the Durango area for fall colors?

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What's the latest report on when the fall colors on the aspens stands are going to start popping in Mancos and above Durango on the Colorado Trail between Molas Pass, Engineer Mountain and Cascade Creek at the bottom.

Post pics if you have them. Soon.
    The colors seem to be behind "normal" schedule.
    Lime Creek Road - Sunday Sept. 29 Leaf Peeper madness near Mancos and Durango-lime_creek_img_2913.jpgLeaf Peeper madness near Mancos and Durango-lime_creek_img_2903.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We were just there and it's not really going off yet. Kind of a bummer because we headed down from Winter Park to see some damn beautiful colors! Oh well, still pretty. Telluride is getting golden though.

Flaccid Member
    Any current feedback?

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any current feedback?
    The end is nigh!
    Check here tomorrow:
    Web Cams - Durango Mountain Resort