Dirtmistress

Latitude 40 Maps For Crested Butte?

Does anyone know if this is a good map of all the trails in CB? Can you recommend one?
    Does Monarch Crest have a map? Does it even need a map?
    Thanks
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yes, Lattitude 40 makes a Crested Butte/Aspen map and it is good. I have about 6 Lattitude 40 maps. They make a quality product. I would suggest a map of some type for your first time on Monarch Crest. It is sometimes difficult finding the continuation of the trail from Marshall Pass, and you definitely want to make sure you don't ride pass the turn down Silver Creek or you will end up in the middle of nowhere fast. I'll be out there as well in July. It looks like from about July 13th through the 21st.
    Last edited by rippling over canyons; 06-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The lat 40 maps are the ones to get, for sure. The CB/ Taylor Park one is better than the CB/Aspen one as it shows a bit more detail.

Rippling, funny you mention missing the Silver Creek turn. I rode there yesterday, and was purposely on the CT well past Silver Creek. I ran into 4 poor souls staring at their Monarch Crest map and I had to inform them that they were well off their map and a solid 10 miles of tough riding past the Silver Creek turnoff. I had them follow me to the Long Branch trail and descend to Sargents, where they hopefully scored a ride back over Monarch.

Dirtmistress
    Do you know where I might find a good map of Monarch? I also heard there is quality riding in that area besides Monarch. Any of you wanna give up the goods to my small yet humble group coming around the 30th to the 7th?
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    The lat 40 maps are the ones to get, for sure. The CB/ Taylor Park one is better than the CB/Aspen one as it shows a bit more detail.

Rippling, funny you mention missing the Silver Creek turn. I rode there yesterday, and was purposely on the CT well past Silver Creek. I ran into 4 poor souls staring at their Monarch Crest map and I had to inform them that they were well off their map and a solid 10 miles of tough riding past the Silver Creek turnoff. I had them follow me to the Long Branch trail and descend to Sargents, where they hopefully scored a ride back over Monarch.
    So how did the Long Branch Trail turn out to be?

Nice work on finding those refugees. Did they have the freebie map that comes with the free trail guide or what?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    So how did the Long Branch Trail turn out to be?

Nice work on finding those refugees. Did they have the freebie map that comes with the free trail guide or what?

No, they had a really sweet map. I guess they just missed Silver Creek and kept on going. It's only about a 10 minute climb after Silver Creek, and then you get some nice downhill on the CT, so then they probably didn't want to turn around. I'm sure they're not the first, and won't be the last.

Long Branch was pretty fun- steep, loose, and rocky. Quite similar to the Needle Creek trails if you've ever made the trek over to those. Maybe the top loose part of Agate is similar as well. If you click on my signature, you'll find some photos. Nothing special since I was solo.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    No, they had a really sweet map. I guess they just missed Silver Creek and kept on going. It's only about a 10 minute climb after Silver Creek, and then you get some nice downhill on the CT, so then they probably didn't want to turn around. I'm sure they're not the first, and won't be the last.

Long Branch was pretty fun- steep, loose, and rocky. Quite similar to the Needle Creek trails if you've ever made the trek over to those. Maybe the top loose part of Agate is similar as well. If you click on my signature, you'll find some photos. Nothing special since I was solo.
    Wow, it's really not easy to miss Silver Creek nowadays, the sign is quite prominent. I suspected they had the freebie map because that might have had them specifically looking for The Rainbow Trail.

Used to be that there were lots more people heading off toward Saguache and North Pass before they signed Silver Creek properly. Pretty remote out there. Once you get out there you're totally on the western slope. Any descent you take is going to land you in the Tomichi Creek drainage. If you were really ready to put in some effort, you could turn east and climb up and over into Bonanza, but then of course you're in the Rio Grande drainage and would have to get to Villa Grove then climb back up to Poncha Pass just to get back to the Arkansas Valley. Silver Creek Trail is the last chance to go back to where you came from.

Maybe your folks were just not very attentive, good on ya for helping them find their way back to civilization.

Interesting beta about Long Branch. And it sounds like the CT/CDT out that way wasn't as bad as I've heard. Maybe it gets worse as you get further south...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    While I do like the Lat 40 maps, IMO the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated are better for navigating. The scale is quite a bit smaller with the Nat Geo ones, which means the detail is better.

The drawback is that you need more of the Nat Geo ones to cover a given area...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    here is a nice online map I use for CB/gunnison county trails and shows pretty much most of the trails in northern gunnison county. It's a pretty big download at 19MB

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial..._North_ROD.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post

And it sounds like the CT/CDT out that way wasn't as bad as I've heard. Maybe it gets worse as you get further south...
    I'm fairly certain this is the case. Long Branch left the CT just a couple of miles into the Sargents Mesa section, which is the section all the thru bikers complain about the most. The trail was getting worse as I went along.

Back to the topic, the National Geographic maps are indeed great. But the Lat 40 for CB/Taylor is a more similar scale, FYI. (Not the case for the Lat 40 CB/Aspen map)

Thread Terrorist
    This thread paid off! I had lost my CB lat 40 map years ago, and did end up buying the new one. We indeed bought the more detailed one. Too bad Lupine isn't in there, but that wasn't hard to figure out.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park