tg
    mtbr member

Lack of snow = good riding

Still riding dirt in Edwards..... north side of I70
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lack of snow = good riding-downsized_1202121352.jpg  

mtbr member
    No snow and warm too. It is both disturbing and fun.
    '11 Trek Superfly 29er SS

Team Velveeta™

too DAMN dry.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryHowe View Post
    No snow and warm too. It is both disturbing and fun.
    It really is disturbing, at least to me. I drove by Blue Mesa Reservoir on the way to Frutah last month and it was a shocker. I saw where some people had driven their 4x4's out on the mud flats probably half a mile from where the shore should be to the water's edge. I guess they were fishing, but they were too far away to see clearly what they were doing.

Never mind all the toilets that won't be flushing and the crops that won't be irrigated next year if we don't get some decent snow, the fire season could make this past one look trivial.

But that said, I'm a mountain biker and snow sports don't feed my soul. So yeah, I'm taking advantage of the good riding.

Yesterday rode a trail that's normally a May-October ride (Bear Creek to Methodist Rainbow Trail above Salida):

This snow was the worst it got in deep shade. And it was totally ride-able. Only and inch or so.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah, it's a double edged sword. i love love love the fact that right now in fruita it's like spring - warm, sunny, dry, everything is ride-able. the bad part of that is...we desperately need moisture. we need snow so it slowly absorbs deep into the ground and sets the trails and makes them even better. not to mention we need water, you know, for living and such. especially since last year was sooooo dry, not sure how bad it would get if we go another year with so little snow/moisture.

no snow may = good riding, but too much no snow = horrible trails and eventually bad riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    no snow may = good riding, but too much no snow = horrible trails and eventually bad riding.
    You are definitely correct. The trails around GJ/Fruita got wore out a bit this year due to the dry conditions although they held up pretty good considering the circumstances. Another year of little precip will accelerate that deterioration.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I live around the Kansas City area and we so far are about 50 or so inches behind in precipitation. The farmers had it rough this year, my dad only was able to salvage 1/3 of his soybean crop. The corn looked all brown back in mid-July from Missouri to Indiana.

It was 65 yesterday and was able to ride in tshirt and shorts - it was great to be able to ride without wrapping up like a mummy. But we do need moisture or next year gonna be really rough.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Team Velveeta™

It's raining, just not on this side of the Sierra Nevada...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    ... we do need moisture or next year gonna be really rough.
    I think right now all our rain is trying to wash Northern California into the Pacific.

More heavy rain expected to hit drenched Calif. - SFGate
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    18 feet of snow at Mt Shasta in 4 days? They may have taken all our snow for the whole season.

Will Mount Shasta reach 18 feet of snow in four-day period? Storm continues - San Francisco skiing | Examiner.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We got 3 inches ( as reported by ski corp) and it was front page news, here in steamboat. Sad that 3 inches get a news story, our plow company doesn't even show if its 6 in or more. Haven't seen them at all.