Takin' Care of Business

Kokopelli's Trail Map/Guide

We'll be heading west from NC in early September to ride the Kokopelli's Trail from Fruita to Moab...It'll be a self supported ride...Having visited both locations in the past, I have several maps and guides but nothing specific to Kokopelli's...

Any suggestions on the best map/guidebook?

mtbr member
    If you have GPS you'll find this very useful: Route/Track: Kokopelli Trail

With google earth you can view every bush on the way in photo quality.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

mtbr member
    This is the best guidebook I've seen:

http://www.bikerpelli.com/Guidebook.htm

Peggy Utesch authored one but it's not as good, it's out of date and not quite as detailed as to trail conditions, etc. I wish I had the one above when we went last year.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Stop by....

Drop into Over the Edge Sports in Fruita and we will be happy to give you up to date tips and conditions when you get here.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Takin' Care of Business
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    This is the best guidebook I've seen:

http://www.bikerpelli.com/Guidebook.htm

Peggy Utesch authored one but it's not as good, it's out of date and not quite as detailed as to trail conditions, etc. I wish I had the one above when we went last year.
    Tried to locate the Peggy Utesch book, but it apparently is out of print....I have the bikerpelli guide on order, along with the Latitude 40 maps...Thanks for the input and links...

Any of you ever make it to the green of the NC, please look me up!

mtbr member

Done it 3 times

Trust me. Go from Moab to Fruita. I've never ridden it this way, but the other sux! Just kidding. It's a great ride. Have fun and if you get a chance, get a GF to drive a support car. Much more comfortable. But I'm getting old.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    whats with the Colorado River, some say its not potable others say its fine? Is there a definite answer???

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    whats with the Colorado River, some say its not potable others say its fine? Is there a definite answer???
    Totally fine. Drink deeply and often.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    In the spring, it is very silty--which will quickly plug up most water filters. I would not drink it without some sort of purification.

There are other sources of water, depending on the season and fast you intend to ride. Let me knows what you're planning, and I'll try to help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    In the spring, it is very silty--which will quickly plug up most water filters. I would not drink it without some sort of purification.

There are other sources of water, depending on the season and fast you intend to ride. Let me knows what you're planning, and I'll try to help.
    Toby,

Great, I had a feeling it was due to silt and such in the spring runoff!

3 friends and myself are going to have fun with it. heading out Monday morning, hope on be finished sometime Wednesday!

Thanks!

Hi Neil,

I've ridden Koko twice in the Spring (late May), both times straight-through without camping. So, logistics are going to be pretty different for you guys than my 24-26 hour efforts--and I probably won't be able to help you as much as I hoped. But here's whatever I can think of that might be helpful.

In the Spring, riding from Moab to GJ, I have gotten water at:
    1. The junction of Mountain Loop Rd and Castleton Rd. Small creek on the right side of the road. Not sure if it's running in the Fall. If there's snow up high, it might be good.
    2. Fischer Creek before dropping down into the valley. Lots of water in the Spring, and I assume that there will be some in the fall if there's been snow up high.
    3. Hideout Campground. Very small spring that crosses the trail. I don't know if it flows in the Fall, as it's already pretty slow even in the Spring.
    4. Westwater Ranger Station. There's a spigot by the maintenance shed. Not sure if they turn it off when temperatures dip though, since the pipe would probably freeze.

I've never done it, but you can also get water from Salt Creek after Rabbit Valley. Murky and full of run-off junk from the fields above. Probably not a whole lot worse than the Colorado River though. A pre-filter that deals with silt if you are pumping would be helpful for the Colorado River and Salt Creek.

If you're going self-supported, I think that water will be a challenge this time of year. Might be worth doing some water drops in places that aren't near the river, such as in the La Sals and near Rabbit Valley.

It's going to be COLD out there, and likely wet/snowy/muddy in the La Sals. You probably already know this, but it's nearly impossible to ride long stretches of Kokopelli's if it's wet. There's a shortish section of trail between Sand Flats Road and Mountain Loop Road on the climb to the La Sals that is especially gloopy bentonite. If it's wet, you'll need to carry your bike for a couple of miles. Lower sections dry out more quickly though.

Good luck, and have fun. I'd love to hear how it goes for you! You're brave to be heading out so late in the year. Did I mention that it's going to be damn cold at night--especially up in the mountains!

mtbr member
    Toby,

Thanks for all the great info!!!!!!

lots of help to us! yeah our toughest part will be water in La Sals!

Lucky for us the Colorado river is in good shape in terms of sludge!

Were bringing two pumps and Aqua-mira to go around so if it does seem a bit sketch, hopefully that will at the very least ease our minds!

We got a report that the La Sals are a little wet but not nearly as bad as the spring as the earth thaws and moisture saturates! I was told Fall is the best time to ride the trail for that reason! hope we don't run into to much snow, no rush either way!

We are aware that it will be cold up in the La Sals but temps could rise to 70* Living in Crested Butte that a big change from a low of 5* last night

Ill let you know if we survive!!!

Ill let you know if we survive!!!
    I'll need photos as proof! It's such a beautiful ride, and the crisp fall air should give you some incredible views.

I'm just finishing up my updated GPX track file. The one from bikepacking.net is good, but mine is somewhat more accurate. I was planning on posting it in a couple of weeks, but if you need one sooner, let me know and I'll send it to you sooner.

mtbr member
    here is my Kokopelli's Trail trip report! check it out!

Toby picture link at the bottom!

Neil Beltchenko: The Kokopelli Trail......A Quick Trip

here is my Kokopelli's Trail trip report! check it out!

Toby picture link at the bottom!

Neil Beltchenko: The Kokopelli Trail......A Quick Trip
    Congrats! Sounds like a great ride.

How many of the potential water stops that I listed were running?

mtbr member
    The Skid Map Is the big mapping site in Utah. The Fruita area coverage is getting pretty good, and It's always being updated with new trails, conditions, and reviews. The mobile version isn't quite as up to date as the full site, but it's the best online map I know of.