I ride with tools

If you're in Alamosa and want a good microbrew....

keep driving to Amica's in Salida. No matter how thirsty you are, Do NOT even consider stopping in to San Luis Brewing Company in Alamosa. They suck. Bad.

Four thirsty beer-lovin' mountain bikers stopped in Alamosa for dinner and a beer on the way to ride Monarch Crest. Four pints were ordered. No one even got half a beer down they were so nasty. And when we asked the server to take them back and not charge us, we were told "Well, the brewer is kinda strict about that..." and then this gem: "You should have asked for a taster before you ordered". WTF?

It's either a bad water supply in town, or they have a broken dishwasher, because all 4 glasses of water on the table also had a nasty soapy taste. But bad water aside, their attitude sucks even worse. Grab a 40 at the gas station and keep driving.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's funny - Ska Brewing in Durango used to brew swill like that... I haven't had the courage to try their beer again, even though it's rumored to be much better.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    That's funny - Ska Brewing in Durango used to brew swill like that... I haven't had the courage to try their beer again, even though it's rumored to be much better.
    You know, the same crew rolled through Durango last year and we stopped at Ska Brewing. Every beer we had was delicious. I'm definitely stopping in again next month during SSWC '09.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Ska rocks!!
    You should giv'r another try!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So you live a stone's throw away from one of the best breweries in the southwest, you can ride your cruiser down to the coolest micro-brew pub in the area, you then can roll on down for some great eats at Blue Corn, and you still have time to head over to Il Vicino for the world's best IPA..........but yet you decide to leave the Growler at home and stop in Alamosa?

My god man, that's INSANE!

BTW - Amicas actually is the old Il Vicino in Salida....

mtbr member
    Weird. I was at that brewery in Alamosa last December, and it was really good.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    you still have time to head over to Il Vicino for the world's best IPA.........
    Their IPA is QUITE tasty, indeed.

BTW - Amicas actually is the old Il Vicino in Salida....
    Not many people know this. And IIRC there was some serious drama over this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Their IPA is QUITE tasty, indeed.

Not many people know this. And IIRC there was some serious drama over this.
    I still have the Growler with the Salida address. I never did hear the story, but the first time I walked into Amicas, I could tell immediately it attempted to be a carbon copy of Il Vicino. Still a great place! and both companies have sponsored cycling teams.

There's a Il Vicino in Denver too that I always stop at, but something got lost in the translation apparantly....seems people are only eating and I'm the only one drinking there. I know Denver has some great micro-brews, and perhaps it's too embaressing to admit that a New Mexican company perhaps has the best beer in town.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    I still have the Growler with the Salida address.
    Me too. Secured on a MONSTER powder trip to Wolf Creek the first weekend in November many years ago.

There's a Il Vicino in Denver too that I always stop at, but something got lost in the translation apparantly....seems people are only eating and I'm the only one drinking there. I know Denver has some great micro-brews, and perhaps it's too embaressing to admit that a New Mexican company perhaps has the best beer in town.
    Sorry. Wet Mt is good, but this is MUCH better:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Me too. Secured on a MONSTER powder trip to Wolf Creek the first weekend in November many years ago.

Sorry. Wet Mt is good, but this is MUCH better:

Looks like I have a reason to go drinking.....err, I mean do some work in Denver soon.

mtbr member
    That ^ Looks. Awesome. I'd love to have one of those beers in front of me right now.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy
    That ^ Looks. Awesome. I'd love to have one of those beers in front of me right now.
    That's too bad you don't.

Because I do.