banned
    Jul 2013

If You Support New Trails in Sedona Please Help With This Forest Service Survey

Dear Fellow Mountain Biker:

In Sedona, AZ many passionate mountain bikers have been religiously attending the Sedona Trails Planning Process meetings. The results of these meetings will affect the building or adoption of user created trails for ten years or longer. To date we have had ten meetings and I have attended all but three. I believe there will be two more meetings before a decision is made to either allow new mountain bike trails in Sedona or not allow them. At this point we need your help in completing the survey (Red Rock Trails Plan Update Survey ) in a positive mountain biking stance.

The survey will take you about ten minutes to complete. I am friends with traildoc and these are his answers to the survey:

#1. Mountain biking

#2. Your Choice

#3. In the Other Box I Typed in Add User Created Mountain Bike Trails, 2nd I checked Add New Trails, 3rd I checked Volunteer Trail Work Program, 4th I Checked Trail Signage and 5th I Checked Trail Classification and Rating

#4. I checked Single Track and you should pick what other choices fit your riding style.

#5. I checked Single Track plus two additional choices that you feel are important.

#6. I put “Connector trails that enhance the current trail system” in the other box.

#7. I put “Connector trails that allow multiple loop options” in the other box. 2nd, 3rd & 4th choices are your preference.

#8. As a part-time hiker, I put in Easy-Needs More, More Difficult- Needs More

#9. This is a mountain biker question, so I put in Easy- Needs More, More Difficult-Needs More. I found this a difficult question because of the amount of mileage given for each classification. A 10-15 mile length of new trail in Sedona doesn’t seem possible under our current budget.

#10. This is an equestrian question, so I wasn’t sure what to put in, so I put Don’t Know in all the choices.

#11. Your Call

#12. This is a difficult survey question to answer since all boxes can be checked without any preference. Obviously some of the funds should come from the FS, but if they don’t have a big budget they are unable to add new trails as fast as some would hope for which means other funding is needed from other funding sources.

Our IMBA rep Patrick Kell has posted this survey on his Facebook page, so the local MTB community appreciates his support.

RMB

mtbr member
    May 2011
    done. Sedona is one of my favorite and probably one of the best areas in the country to bike. The trail system is top notch and should be on everyone's list as a must go to destination. Personally I think Sedona has more to offer than Moab even which is why I don't mind the extra driving time down there. Anything to support the local MTB community!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't know much about Sedona and all the issues, both pro and con additional trails. I tend to not take surveys or sign petitions I don't know anything about.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I don't know much about Sedona and all the issues, both pro and con additional trails. I tend to not take surveys or sign petitions I don't know anything about.
    zrm:

This is the post from the Forest Service to the hiking, MTB, and equestrian community:

Hi All, Thanks to everyone who attended our Red Rock Trails Planning meeting at the Hilton last night! One thing that was mentioned is the trail survey developed by a subcommittee of attendees. Here is the link to the survey.

The Verde Cyclist: Do you love the Red Rock Trails? We Need Your Input

Do you love the Red Rock Trails? Please take this quick survey and let your thoughts be known!

This survey is for all trail users: bikers, hikers, equestrians, runners, etc. The survey will be active until August 24th.

Please do not be confused by the fact that this is posted on the VVCC website: The VVCC is a partner in the Red Rock Trails public planning process and is hosting this survey to help with this planning process. Survey results will be used by the Forest Service, Red Rock District, to help decide future trail priorities. Please share with anyone you know that is interested.

Thanks for caring about Red Rock Trails!!

Jennifer Burns

Recreation Staff Officer

Red Rock Ranger District

Coconino National Forest

928-203-2900

Hopefully this email sent to me and other RTCA attendees will give you the comfort to help out the Sedona mountain biking community. You probably already know there is a constant battle to get new trails established in any area and if you were to complete the survey in a positive new trail position, it would help out your fellow mountain bikers.

If you need additional information to increase your comfort level let me know what your concerns are. Maybe someone else is sitting on the fence like you and has the same concerns you do.

Please Help the Sedona New Trails Cause. Thanks to all MTBR members who have completed the survey, we appreciate your help.

RMB