mtbr member

I don't wanna be THAT guy, but...

I really don't wanna be THAT guy, but, I need some help planning a trip.

Cliffs:

OP has about a week to ten days, but doesn't have to ride every day. Maybe 75% of the time. August 13th to 22nd or so.

I ride a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, but I'm a clyde from sea level.

30 or so miles a day will be good for me.

Here's the problem, I'll be alone, and a lot of trails I see are shuttles. I'm an intermediate rider, and I'm not too worried about endurance up to 30 or so miles, but I don't want extremely technical or dangerous trails. No chairlift type stuff.

I'm looking for trails that are nice and flowy with great views. Classic Colorado XC type stuff. Anywhere on the western slope is okay. I'd rather hit multiple cities anyway.

I was planning on finding some LBS out there and asking too, but I'd like to have a few trails on the itinerary first.

Thanks for any help.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    IMO, these type of questions are the real value and purpose of MTBR. CARRY ON!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you don't mind getting an early start on the trails , say 7:30 or so , I would try Fruita area trails such as 18 rd. which is super flowy with very few diff. sections. I would also look at Phill's World in Cortez which is really nice and flowy, also Boggy Draw in Delores which is nearby. You should look at Gunnison and Crested Butte which have a variety of trails and moderate temps. There are alot more but these are not too tech. and can be ridden by all levels.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Crested Butte should be on your list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    great questions...

i would suggest Fruita, we have excellent trails that you can ride alone, you can't get lost, they are super fun and not technical. We have flowy, we have scenic.

the trails you NEED to ride are:

Horsethief bench and Steve's at the Kokopelli trail system.
    Joe's Ridge, Zippity Do dah, Kessle Run, PBR at 18 rd.

you can youtube them

Stop by Over the Edge Sports in Fruita, they will give you more trail info than you can handle.

one thing you do need to know when you come to Colorado...coming from sea level, the altitude will be a factor. also, 30 miles here is a LOT different than 30 miles in other places.

rock on, hope to see you soon
    Last edited by snark7; 08-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Fruita is a place I've been curious about, but I'm thinking more Durango, Cortez, CB, Telluride, etc. Black Canyon of the Gunnison is on the list too, but not for riding. I'm going to be living in Flagstaff for school, so Fruita/GJ are almost daytrip or weekend destinations.

I'm a little worried about the altitude, but I used to live in Phoenix(1300 ft) and ride in Flagstaff. As long as I'm under about 8 or 9000 ft and I keep the pace reasonable, I should survive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    well definitely ride phil's world in cortez, it's a must do. SOOOOOOOOOOO worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Some of the trails around Cortez and Durango are a great place for a rider with moderate to good fitness to get 30+ miles of singletrack riding in a day. As mentioned above, Phil's World in Cortez, Boggy Draw in Dolores and Horse Gulch in Durango all provide great opportunities. Fruita also has some great choices.

Crested Butte, Aspen, Telluride, etc. have some great riding but generally speaking have a lot more elevation change and harder trails. A 30 mile day at any of these areas is totally doable but can turn quite epic if a rider is not accustomed to the high country trails.

mtbr member
    Anybody else?

Any good camping spots in the San Juan Natl Forest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Anybody else?

Any good camping spots in the San Juan Natl Forest?
    KOA? You're joking right?

With 10 days, make a big loop starting with Durango, head over Wolf Creek Pass to Salida. Lots of loops that don't require a shuttle there but consider paying for one to do Monarch Pass and Rainbow Rim. Head west on I50 and hit Gunnison and Crested Butte. Finish with Telluride. That keeps you plenty occupied without too much driving and all of it south of I70. Or, head to Breckenridge after Salida and do the I70 corridor stuff. Vail, Eagle, etc. Either way, do as much of the Colorado trail as you can. My 2 cents but you could easily use up your 10 days in Crested Butte.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    KOA? You're joking right?

With 10 days, make a big loop starting with Durango, head over Wolf Creek Pass to Salida. Lots of loops that don't require a shuttle there but consider paying for one to do Monarch Pass and Rainbow Rim. Head west on I50 and hit Gunnison and Crested Butte. Finish with Telluride.
    Good advice here RokMan. If OP get's to Telluride, PM me for a ride or two.