mtbr member

How are are the Salida riding conditions right now? Good to go?

Haven't been out that way. Assuming it's good but just want a confirmation for riding tomorrow. Thanks

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    Haven't been out that way. Assuming it's good but just want a confirmation for riding tomorrow. Thanks
    I rode the S-Mtn and little Rainbow trails a couple weeks ago and they were fine. I don't know what it would be like to go higher though. The dry side of the valley might be good to a certain elevation but you probably can't go much higher up the bigger mountains to the west before you get snow.

mtbr member
    dope

mtbr member
    Rode S-Mtn Today. Super fun. Thanks

650b me

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'll be out there with a group lookuing for a place to ride this Sunday, after racing the half growler Saturday. I just started exploring maps and online data, and I'm wondering whether I could shuttle to the top of this trail and ride down into the rest of the Arkansas hill system.

Cottonwood Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Salida, CO

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes, there's a dirt road that goes to the top of cottonwood, so it can be shuttled, but the ride up isn't that bad, even on a larger bike with bigger gears... suck it up buttercup and loop it.

They're doing lots of trail/re-route work on cottonwood, but the standard is still open and riding great right now

e

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes! After looking more at the map yesterday, it looks like maybe a 6.5 mi ride up from town, avg grade of 5%... probably worth riding it!

Latest idea... ride form town, up North Backbone trail to dirt road 175, then continue 4ish miles up 175 to the top of cottonwood, and descend back down! Then play around on the lower s-mtn trails, etc.

Give me a sense of how gnarly cottonwood descent is.... how does it compare to Dr's Park, 401, Horsethief or Eagle's wing?

Quote Originally Posted by ecoomer View Post
    Yes, there's a dirt road that goes to the top of cottonwood, so it can be shuttled, but the ride up isn't that bad, even on a larger bike with bigger gears... suck it up buttercup and loop it.

They're doing lots of trail/re-route work on cottonwood, but the standard is still open and riding great right now

e

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    Yes! After looking more at the map yesterday, it looks like maybe a 6.5 mi ride up from town, avg grade of 5%... probably worth riding it!

Latest idea... ride form town, up North Backbone trail to dirt road 175, then continue 4ish miles up 175 to the top of cottonwood, and descend back down! Then play around on the lower s-mtn trails, etc.

Give me a sense of how gnarly cottonwood descent is.... how does it compare to Dr's Park, 401, Horsethief or Eagle's wing?
    I ride this loop once or twice a year. Ute trail (175) is just a county road. It's nothing exciting and a bit of a grind, but it gets you the vertical. I occupy myself enjoying the scenery of the arroyo the road goes through. There isn't much vehicle traffic but you proably will encounter a car/truck or three. Once you turn off and go toward the top of Cottonwood it's still a road but a bit more primitive. You may run into cows. It's very pretty back up in there with occasional views of the Arkansas valley. The higher points of the ride my still have a little snow or mud, but if there's any at all I can't imagine it being a major issue.

Cottonwood trail is a 4wd road that is very fast in some sections with some up and down before it begins the final plunge back toward town. There are rocky and washed out sections that when it's been dry can have sketchy, ball bearing traction. There are a couple fairly gnarly sections but nothing too crazy. Some of the rock outcrops have a cheese grater texture and falling isn't recommended! For me it's not the drops or the rocks - none of that is too difficult - it's the sketchy traction.

As you get closer to town you'll come on a couple of the Salida town trails like Uncle Nazty, Sand Dune. (I think, can never remember all the names) These are the most technical trails in the S mtn area and IMO, qualify as "expert" trails. If you don't take those trails and continue on the road, you will come to S mtn itself and the intersection of N backbone.