mtbr member
    Oct 2009

how to beat the crowds?

I live in Lyons, and I'm thinking of getting away for a few days since I've got a break from school. Where can I camp out, ride some trails, and be away from crowds for a few days? I happen to be a fan of desolate desert.

I'm thinking four corners. Valley of the Gods, Durango. Never been to the area though.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member

no campers over here.

judging by the life on this board lately you should have this side of the state all to yourself. I believe everyone in Durango has passed on, Uranium in the coffee or something like that.

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rubystreet
    judging by the life on this board lately you should have this side of the state all to yourself. I believe everyone in Durango has passed on, Uranium in the coffee or something like that.
    I thought it was the hangovers from the SSWC.

To the OP, Valley of the Gods would fit your needs, though there are also some areas around Cortez that could work as well.
    Last edited by slope folk; 11-25-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: to be responsive

Tigers love pepper...
    I rode last weekend and encountered ZERO people on the trail at 18rd in Fruita Sunday. There were cars in the lot, but I didn't manage to run into anyone. Great riding weather IMO. Temps were 45 or so. Sure beats the summer heat around here.

I hope to make a roadie to Durango next summer to try out some of those trails! We have an office down there, I just need to find an excuse to go for a couple days.

Ride to the ride.
    The Girl I Ride With and I headed out for two weeks of camping about two weeks ago. It was freaking cold as night and we ended up camping in motels. (Like Gallup and Cortez. Both in the mid-teens by morning.)

If you're good with the cold, the world is your oyster. Lots of cool places.

We originally wanted to get further south in Arizona -- south of the Mogollon Rim -- to get to where it'd be warmer. We've heard there's good riding there, too.

If the rides we did would be any help, check this:

High Desert Cougar Ride - Gallup NM

Have fun!

--Greg
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for tips! I ended up getting a motel $30 a night is OK with me! Did 3 hours on the Colorado trail. Looking for more singletrack tomorrow.