mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Hermosa Creek Question

LBS recommended skipping the shuttle and riding an out and back on Hermosa, turning around at mile 17.5. How tough a ride is this and how much climbing? Are there any worthwhile loop options or is the out and back the best way to go? fyi, only have one day to ride in the area.

thanks...

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    I've never done the out and back on Hermosa but I don't think it'd be that strenuous. The lower section is pretty undulating and climbs gradually out of the valley. You'll have a few steep pitches but they're short.

If I only had one day in the area I'd ride something on the CT. Jct Cr to "High Point", Blackhawk Pass or Molas to Cascade. Hermosa Cr is just not that great. If you need to ride in the southern end of the valley then I'd recommend Jones Cr>Dutch Cr>Hermosa Cr. back to your car. I guess they've rerouted a good portion of the hike-a-bike on the Jones/Dutch ride so it should be even more fun than it used to be.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If I only had one day in the area I'd ride something on the CT. Jct Cr to "High Point", Blackhawk Pass or Molas to Cascade. Hermosa Cr is just not that great. If you need to ride in the southern end of the valley then I'd recommend Jones Cr>Dutch Cr>Hermosa Cr. back to your car. I guess they've rerouted a good portion of the hike-a-bike on the Jones/Dutch ride so it should be even more fun than it used to be.
    x2 on that. Hermosa Creek should be last on your list of those rides.

banned

How Far?

Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    I've never done the out and back on Hermosa but I don't think it'd be that strenuous. The lower section is pretty undulating and climbs gradually out of the valley. You'll have a few steep pitches but they're short.

How far and how long would it take to ride from Molas to Cascade, not including going down Cascade Creek.How long on the CT is it? What's the terrain like is it all rideable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the input...we'll probably try the Jones/Dutch/Hermosa loop, although I think I read a recent post saying there was a lot of cow poop on Jones...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How far and how long would it take to ride from Molas to Cascade, not including going down Cascade Creek.How long on the CT is it? What's the terrain like is it all rideable?
    I just did this a few weeks ago, but I don't have the exact time in front of me. I'm thinking it took 3.5 to 4 hours (I'll double check and post a follow up if I am way off). There is a hike a bike section as you approach Engineer Mountain. It last for about 1/2 an hour. You don't want go down Cascade Rd, instead you take Engineer Mountain Trail- which is a long wicked fun downhill. I generally am not a fan of shuttle rides - but this one is well worth the effort.

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken
    I just did this a few weeks ago, but I don't have the exact time in front of me. I'm thinking it took 3.5 to 4 hours (I'll double check and post a follow up if I am way off). There is a hike a bike section as you approach Engineer Mountain. It last for about 1/2 an hour. You don't want go down Cascade Rd, instead you take Engineer Mountain Trail- which is a long wicked fun downhill. I generally am not a fan of shuttle rides - but this one is well worth the effort.
    Molas to Cascade via Engineer Mt Trail just may be the best ride I have ever done. But while I'd like to think I'm a decent rider, I am clearly nowhere near as strong as you, because this ride took us close to 7 hours. Granted there was a lot of stop and gawk time. But the altitude shouldn't be underestimated, it made stuff that would normally be easy seem a lot more technical.

And yes, a shuttle that is worth it. And easy, because you can still do it with one car, and just hitch back up to the top of Molas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am clearly nowhere near as strong as you, because this ride took us close to 7 hours
    My time was under 4 hours. But I have done that ride many times and we had good conditions. The beauty of the ride is not how long it take but how much you enjoy it.

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken
    My time was under 4 hours. But I have done that ride many times and we had good conditions. The beauty of the ride is not how long it take but how much you enjoy it.

Well said, and to be sure, a lot of our 7 hours was spent gawking! Just wanted to provide a counterpoint, so motobutane doesn't go out there, get caught in the fading light, cursing that guy on mtbr who said the ride would take 4 hours.