mtbr member
    May 2008

Help with Ride Times Please.......Durango.

Several of us are headed Durango from Oregon for a week. You guys have been great about helping me with my list of intended rides. Below is our list of rides and what we think the ride times are going to be. Three of us are in strong shape, one guy is a mess (we will leave him at the hotel when necessary).

Below is our list of rides (unless you have better ideas); what I really need is an idea of how long each of these rides will take for scheduling purposes.

1. Molas Pass to Hotel Draw (figured that is a day)
    2. Hotel Draw to Durango (figured a day)
    3. Kennebec Pass Loop (Is this a day?)
    4. Hermosa (Is this a day?)
    5. Jones Creek (?)
    6. Horse Gulch (?)
    7. Test Tracks; I understand this is a collection of trails near town (not sure how much time to give this???)

We want to sort of pace ourselves so we actually look at what's around us, but we are not afraid to ride hard either. Any help with the times would be greatly appreciated.

** Also, what are the best places in town to drink real beer and have good food???

*** Best local bike shop if we break things?

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve34
    Several of us are headed Durango from Oregon for a week. You guys have been great about helping me with my list of intended rides. Below is our list of rides and what we think the ride times are going to be. Three of us are in strong shape, one guy is a mess (we will leave him at the hotel when necessary).

Below is our list of rides (unless you have better ideas); what I really need is an idea of how long each of these rides will take for scheduling purposes.

1. Molas Pass to Hotel Draw (figured that is a day) Yes
    2. Hotel Draw to Durango (figured a day) Yes
    3. Kennebec Pass Loop (Is this a day?) Yes
    4. Hermosa (Is this a day?) Yes/No - Yes if you ride as an out and back, No if you shuttle it. Shuttle shouldn't take longer than 4 to 6hrs
    5. Jones Creek (?) 4 to 6hrs if you continue on to Dutch Cr and return on Hermosa Cr
    6. Horse Gulch (?) ??? You can literaly spend all day out there if you want or you can ride a few short loops and call it
    7. Test Tracks; I understand this is a collection of trails near town (not sure how much time to give this???) Same a Horse Gulch only 1 hour tends to feel like two. Connecting TT with a spin through Sailing Hawks is fun defined

We want to sort of pace ourselves so we actually look at what's around us, but we are not afraid to ride hard either. Any help with the times would be greatly appreciated.

** Also, what are the best places in town to drink real beer and have good food???
    Avoid Steamworks. everything else is gonna be good. Old Tymers is a local favorite
    *** Best local bike shop if we break things? One that has the part that you broke. They're all really good, although I usually only go to MBS on main as a last resort
    ^^^^^^^ this should help.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE
    2. Hotel Draw to Durango (figured a day)
    3. Kennebec Pass Loop (Is this a day?)
    [/QUOTE]

Ride 3 is more or less included in ride 2 (I assume you're staying on the C-trail for the duration). But do it twice anyway. I always do. It's a sexy a$$ descent.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    that's twice I've read about ppl splitting up the ride from Molas to Durango via HOtel draw. Where do you sleep when you do that? camping? Just wondering.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We were not planning, we were planning on shuttling is that not possible at that spot? If not, is there another place to split that up where you can?