mtbr member

Help Plan a Late April 2014 Road Trip

I'm driving a car out to my brother in Denver in late April & bringing my bike, but before dropping it off I'm going to spend a 3-4 days riding the Western Slope hot-spots. I did the Breck Epic this past summer, so for this trip I want to hit some different areas. I've read a lot about Fruita/Grand Junction, so that will be my first stop for a day. Each morning I plan to roll out of bed and drive to the next location for 5-6 hours of quality saddle time. I'm looking for well-marked XC style trails and have excellent cardio with average bike handling skills. I don't mind long climbs but I don't want any hike-a-bike.

I was thinking Fruita, Durango, Crested Butte then back to Denver, but since this is late April I want to be sure snow isn't still a concern. I plan to return August 2015 to hit the high elevation stuff when I know it will be thawed. I know there are many places I could spend more than a day, but I'd like to see as many places as possible & don't mind driving each day.

2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    May 2011
    One of my favorites south of Grand Junction in the lunch loops area is The Ribbon trail combined with Andys Loop. There is a bit of highway climb to get to the trailhead without a shuttle but the reward going down is well worth the effort. Check out skidmap.com‎ for a map. Several other fun trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    April is too early for CB. Too early for anything good in Durango as well, unless someone local knows different.

Check out Cortez for Phil's World and Sand Canyon. Also a nice time of year for Moab.

"Spring time in Moab, when all the licence plates turn green......"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    if you are around the last week of April, you should check out the Fruita Fat Tire Festival. riding, drinking, shenanigans, fun. https://www.facebook.com/FruitaFTF?ref=hl

otherwise, Fruita is usually good to ride anytime in April, all trails are marked, and you can easily get a few hours saddle time.

Singletrack Slacker
    Hit Fruita first, 1.5hrs to Moab, 1.5 hrs from there down 191 to Cortez and Phil's world or sand canyon. That is a great little trip. I've done it a couple of times. You might even be able to hit some horse gulch in Durango on the way back to Denver.
    I need to ride moooore

mtbr member
    If you are coming from the east, passing Denver to get towards the western slope with only 3-4 days will be more driving than fun.
    If you are coming from the west, Phils World will be open as should Durango's in town trails, like Horse Gulch, Twin Buttes and Test tracks. If we get a great winter, those trails may be muddy in April.
    Otherwise, Fruita and Moab will probably be your best bet at that time of year.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post

Otherwise, Fruita and Moab will probably be your best bet at that time of year.
    This. If you really only have 3-4 days you should just spend the whole time in Fruita/Moab. Hell - I'd even argue you should just spend the whole 3-4 days in Moab.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Hartman Rocks in Gunni can be rideable, keep an eye on out: Gunnison Trails

Salida Mountain Trails should be giddyup Go: Salida Mountain Trails | Volunteer Trail Construction in Salida Colorado and hit up Home | Absolute Bikes - Salida Colorado Bike Shop Since 1999 for more local trail conditions. If Salida has a dry winter, a lot is rideable under 8500' through these cold times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.