mtbr member
    Jul 2007

help me find an appropriate trail near Durango please.

I live in NM, and my job will take me to Farmington next week. In the winter, I take this opportunity to snowboard up at Wolf Creek.

However, last fall, I got a mountain bike, and it is my understanding that Durango is a fantastic place to ride.

My delema is my fitness level. I don't know where I stand. I normally ride 1-2 hours at 7K altitude. I climb, but I'm not goat yet. I'm used to the very rocky trails in NM, but I mostly enjoy dirt through the forest.

I guess I'm looking for about a 3 hour ride at an intermediate level. I know google is my friend, but I'm hoping for a bit of local insight.

Thanks you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    70+ views, no replies.
    Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll ride in New Mexico. At least I'll be able to find someone who will give me a little advice on the area I choose.
    The Yeti won't make it back to Colorado this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanjoe View Post
    70+ views, no replies.
    Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll ride in New Mexico. At least I'll be able to find someone who will give me a little advice on the area I choose.
    Don't give up on Durango yet. Great place to ride. My recommendations would be:1. Molas Pass. Most people do this as shuttle, but you can start at top of Molas, on Colorado Trail, and do out and back. This will involve serious altitude, 11-12,000 ft, and climbing, ( but not technically difficult). You will be stopping to suck wind frequently, but the scenery is mind blowing, and worth the effort. Trail is mostly smooth. Ride out for an hour or so, then turn and go back. Start in early AM, due to storms.
    2. Horse Gulch area in town. Can connect multiple loops, for as much as you want. 3. Dry Fork Trail to Colorado Trail and back down Hoffiens, as a loop. Fairly easy climb up, and blast going down. Just outside of town. Get a map from bike shop in town, (Durango 2000).

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanjoe View Post
    70+ views, no replies.
    I think we all just assumed somebody else would get back to you. I don't live in D-Town...

But your answer is Hermosa Creek. It's not very high, maybe 8,000-9,000. It's pretty flat by Colorado standards. It's through the woods. It's intermediate. It's completely well-known and easy to find. Drive up to the campground and do an out and back. Make it to the bridge and turn around. Should be right around 3 hours for somebody who isn't a hammer.

Good luck.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Ne one replied because your post was full of limiters.

"Last fall, I got a mountain bike."

"My delema (sp) is my fitness level."

Durango IS a great place to ride, but it doesn't contain many novice trails for the out of shape. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy the trails, it just makes it tough on us to find you the right trail. If you're riding Cedro and Otero, then you can probably get through a decent ride ok. I'd skip Molas to start and concentrate on Horse Gulch. If you go over Telegraph, you can gain 3 hours and not hit the same trail twice with no problem.

If you're

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Options in town:
    Twin Buttes: short, fun, not a lot of technical but just enough to add a bit of challenge, and it's just 2 miles west of downtown. Starts steep but then is a decent pitch of up and down the rest of the way excepting the optional climb behind the actual buttes which is short, steep, and techy.
    Horse Gulch: a million loop options, from fun, fast, and flowy to long, steep, and technical. Short loop: up to the Meadow Loops, up Stacy's, back down to the gulch road, ride Zip Line over the the College Mesa, and come down the Nature Trail, Lion's Den, or Vietnam back into town. Long loop: Ride up the the meadow and then climb (steeply) up telegraph to the top. Take Sidewinder to Cowboy to Big Canyon and out on the frontage road next the the car dealerships. Cross Hwy 3 at the intersection of it and US 550 and ride Old Railroad along the river back to town.

Just outside of town: Ride the Dry Fork-Colorado Trail-Hoffheins loop. Fun not too burly climbing, you'll get up into the aspens, and you'll have a blast coming back down.

Skip the high altitude stuff unless you are feeling particularly strong and have a lot of time.

Elsewhere: Make the drive over the Cortez and ride Phil's World. Some of the best trails anywhere.
    Ride the Road Apple Loops north of Farmington. Fast, packed and flowy desert riding.
    Drive the 15 minutes to the Alien Run loops north of Aztec. A great combination of fast flow, technical ledges and rockiness, with a little slick rock thrown in.

Frankly, 1/2 the fun of riding somewhere new is to find a few spots to start and then head out and explore. Or stop into a local shop and ask. There's plenty of them in Durango...

All of the Durango trails I mentioned are on this interactive map: Trails 2000 | Interactive Map

You can find good beta on the others here:
    Phil's: Phils World Mountain Bike Trail, Cortez, CO
    Road Apple: Glade Run, Pinon Mesa, Barker Dome, and Road Apple Rally Bicycle Trail Maps, Farmington, New Mexico
    Alien Run: https://www.durangoutdoors.com/nearb...-trail-map.htm
    Last edited by huntermos; 07-10-2014 at 08:54 PM.

snickers driven
    I would second any recommendations for dry fork-hoffeins loop. With your background in otero, you will find it as much fun as I do. M

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I will do some secondary research on the suggested trails.

Ameybrook - had anyone asked for clarification, there would have been a post with clarification. I did post that I was looking for a 3 hour intermediate ride preferably in the trees. I thought that would get something. I did not expect people to be familiar with Otero or Cedro so stating that those were my primary stomping grounds didn't seem like it would be as helpful.