Everyone Bleeds!

New question here. Help me Decide...

I'm planning on taking a trip to Colorado in 2010, sort of to celebrate turning 50. I'm torn between going to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival and the Crested Butte Fat Tire Festival. I like the idea of both places but I need input. Can anyone help me to decide? Give me pro's and Con's on both locations please?
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    If you have to choose between one or the other,cb hands down.Better scenery/vibe/quality&quantity of trails.The Butte is a "bucket list" for any serious mtn biker.

Bite Me.
    Yeah - the CB trails are way less technical and would be much easier for a 50 year old - other than the high altitude thing, and the much shorter season, and all those high peaks getting in the way of your expansive desert views.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Ha! I did the same thing... Did Durango. That place has the goods, for sure. By the time summer starts, it should be prime within a week or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Ha! I did the same thing... Did Durango. That place has the goods, for sure. By the time summer starts, it should be prime within a week or two.
    Durango sucks!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    If it's in spring fruita is fun, but the FFTF makes the trails busy with "others" and MTB trail traffic is unfavorable IMHO. CB is epic riding but you'll wannna wait till at least june to get to the greatest trails that you'll ever ride. They are in CB. Epic singletrack in heartpoundingly senic mountains. If you only get to choose one CB has way better trails, and mountain life.

You can ride to silnlgtrack from town in CB and you'll drive and park in Frutia.
    CB is a resort town with all levels of accomidations from cheap hostles to luxury homes, Frutia is mostly interstate hotels or camping.
    CB is pure rocky mt singletrack, frutia is red desert trail.
    If you come for the FFTF it's in april and not many other trails in the state are open, the CBFTF is in june? and you could possibally hit the Monarch crest trail or other great CO trails on the drive, in april we'll still be snowed in up in the mountains, limiting other riding.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Durango sucks!

Man speaks wisely

mtbr member
    Two very intriguing options. First...the FFTF is a total shitshow IMO. CBFTF is in late June I think....still can be quite a bit of snow on the goods. However as far as trails go....CB is EPIC. The rides are huge. Far more of your traditional epic XC and Alpine riding. Monarch Crest is the ****, and if the weather is not too hot in the desert you could hit both riding areas.

With that said....It would be hard for me to tell someone not to hit GJ and Fruita. The riding is fantastic. IMO, avoid the festivals, and go to both areas.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Go to CB. But avoid the fest. It'll simply result in crowded trails that need not be crowded. It is *not* the Fat Tire Festival it used to be.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    If you go to CB, I recommend going before the Fat Texas Fest. The classic trails won't be beat to sh!t by folks who can't brake properly and the vegetation won't be trashed by folks who feel the need to trample off into the flowers to get that perfect photo.

Oh, and Durango sucks........badly!
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis