mtbr member

Heading out there this upcoming weekend. Few questions

if you don't mind...

First, we're going to try and hit Fruita for an afternoon. Well actually my husband is for sure. We're at completely different levels and he wants to do a harder trail without me (I totally don't blame him. I suck.) But he also doesn't want me riding by myself. How crowded are the trails on the average Wednesday afternoon? I guess I'm asking, if I fall down the cliff how long will it be before someone finds me?

Question #2. We are heading to Ourray after that. We don't have any trail books for that area. Anyone have recomendations for books (and where to get them) and or trails? Again maybe some beginner ones and an advanced one? Also, we were thinking about brining the kid trailer. Any long paved bike paths around?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    On a Wednesday afternoon, or ANY mid-summer afternoon actually, there will likely be very few people on any of the trails, as the locals (and some of the visitors) have the good sense to stay indoors or in the shade during the hottest part of the day. Current predictions for this coming week are mid-to-high 90s, a cooling trend compared to the last few days. So if you need help, it may be a long time coming.

Lots of us ride in the very early morning, starting before sun up, and some folks like the evening, just before sun down.

If you are still motivated to ride in the afternoon, carry a TON of water and be aware of the symptoms of heat stroke. It WILL be HOT!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah. It's been so cool-ish out here that I forget it's probably hot as hell out there. Maybe we will go evening. Or I'll just let him go at night by himself. We won't make it out there in time for a morning ride.

Tigers love pepper...
    We went yesterday AM and only ran across a few people here and there in Loma. Afternoon on a weekday will be empty most likely depending on the trail. It's like 97 right now. I'm sitting in a chair under the AC. Might sneak in short ride tonight just before sun down.