Thread Terrorist

Hartmans Rocks 411

Wife and I are here at Hartmans Rock ready to roll. What are some of the 'don't miss' rides and trails with better direction than others? We don't mind climbs, but really love flowy and techy descents (rather than going up them). We have the maps and everything, but would love to get the local's input.

We have SC Nomads.

If anyone wants to ride with us, we have beer to offer in trade for guiding.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Hopefully I'm not too late...most everything can be ridden in either direction, but prefer riding rattlesnake south to north. Techy trails you should ride Ring dike, rattlesnake, freefall, ridge trail, gateway, Sawtooth. Had to miss out there try to link up as much as you can.

Here's my suggested loop Jack's>ridge > top of world >fenceline> gateway >luge >broken shovel > back in> sawtooth >skyline > sea of sage > rattlesnake > becks or freefall > notch

Schipperkes are cool.
    One of the worst unflowing "ride it the other direction" is Rattlesnake. Rattlesnake was made going North. Riding it southwards has no fun.
    Technical Becks is really fun, Behind the rocks as well.

Hitup Dave Mo's shop-Rock N Roll and ask the guys @ Mountain Flyer-Jordan or Brian.
    If ya can make it happen, do a Monarch Crest to Agate to Sergeants.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rattlesnake heading north is definitely one of the nicest trails at Hartman's. I like to approach it by first riding Josho's (counterclockwise), whose start can be reached from various other trails. Other highlights for me include Gateway and Josies (going south) and Outback.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Rattlesnake, Josies, Dirty Sock.

Personally, I don't like those little scree funnels on Rattlesnake, but the rest is a blast.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hartman sucks... Rocks.

Wait. What?

Thread Terrorist
    Just an update. We did most of the northern trails the first day before it got to hot. Luge, Becks, Rocky Ridge, fence line, Josie''s, sky line, rattle snake, gateway. I love rattle snake, went back and did it again a few times!

I did catch Gunni's message. We went south the next day and hit up Josh O, 9-0, outback, (something else), back to Bambi, and then sawtooth. I did the Dyke Ring on the way back to camp.

You guys have a great series of trails out here! I really liked Sawtooth, outback, rattlesnake and ring dyke.

Question: Are the trails always this sandy? did we just hit them the wrong time of year? I know the whole state hasn't had rain, but when is the ideal time to come out here?

BTW, i'd like to buy the trail designers/builders a beer. As a trail builder myself, I know the work that goes into all of that. Thank you, we appreciate all they (you) have done.

IE.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post

BTW, i'd like to buy the trail designers/builders a beer. As a trail builder myself, I know the work that goes into all of that. Thank you, we appreciate all they (you) have done.

IE.
    A beer or a gallon of gas. Motocyclist built trails are wonderful aren't they
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

bacon! bacon! bacon!

You guys have a great series of trails out here!
    I told you this in 2006-ish, numbnuts. But no... you guys had to go ride some clay-ridden horse-$hit-filled gully on the Grand Mesa.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I told you this in 2006-ish, numbnuts. But no... you guys had to go ride some clay-ridden horse-$hit-filled gully on the Grand Mesa.
    Yep, and that was a mistake. However, we wouldn't have quotes like "did you feel that" and seeing the jackrabbit guy laugh under the influence.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Just an update. We did most of the northern trails the first day before it got to hot. Luge, Becks, Rocky Ridge, fence line, Josie''s, sky line, rattle snake, gateway. I love rattle snake, went back and did it again a few times!

I did catch Gunni's message. We went south the next day and hit up Josh O, 9-0, outback, (something else), back to Bambi, and then sawtooth. I did the Dyke Ring on the way back to camp.

You guys have a great series of trails out here! I really liked Sawtooth, outback, rattlesnake and ring dyke.

Question: Are the trails always this sandy? did we just hit them the wrong time of year? I know the whole state hasn't had rain, but when is the ideal time to come out here?

IE.
    Glad you enjoyed it! Some really great alt lines on Rattlesnake.

The lack of rain has really turned Hartmans into a sand pit. With regular rain Hartmans turns into tacky track and it really gets awesome. Hopefully we'll get into the monsoon season and the bliss will return. You have to pick and choose the trails these days, some are better than others. As far as trail builders, most were built by DW, Rattlesnake by someone else (not sure if I should be naming names) and I can only take responsibility for Freefall and collarbone alley.

Schipperkes are cool.
    , i'd like to buy the trail designers/builders a beer. As a trail builder myself, I know the work that goes into all of that. Thank you, we appreciate all they (you) have done.

IE.
    Gunnison Trails / Gunnison Colorado Tuesdays are non-motorized trail maintenance days, show up! Send 'em a donation and you will most likely get an email back from THE Dave Weins!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Thread Terrorist

Really?

I ask a simple question, thank the trail builders and this is what I get?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hartmans Rocks 411-capture.jpg  

Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    BS! I gave you some +rep for riding Hartmans. BTW it's been raining, not so sandy the past couple days.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Come on... grumpy locals. You can't actually be surprised?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hoping to ride hartmans after breck 100, thanks for the advice here guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2