TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Hartman's Rock closure

My question is, will Hartman's Rock be open to mountain bikes until the last week on October? When do they "lock the gate", as it were?

I'll be passing through towards the end of October.

I haven't ridden there since 1985 - back when it was a shooting range, throttle-twister haven and place to chuck old sofas and ovens out of the back of the truck. Back when you could make your own trails that didn't have names and numbers and such. Back when adventure meant something.

But I wax...

In these days of government regulation, personal liability and threatened and endangered animals, apparently it have become "the thing" do make seasonal closures of places many of us used to enjoy unfettered. Apparently Hartman's Rocks has been tattooed with this artifact.

But I wax again...
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 09-21-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I haven't ridden there since 1985 - back when it was a shooting range, throttle-twister haven and place to chuck old sofas and ovens out of the back of the truck. Back when you could make your own trails that didn't have names and numbers and such. Back when adventure meant something.
    Ah the good old days. Why even go there? I'm sure there are plenty of places left where adventure still means something. Just don't forget the gun the oven and the old sofa.

mtbr member
    Usually Hartmans is ridable 'till Thanksgiving. Gates dont get closed until there is too much snow, then a local nordic club grooms 40k-50k out there. Yes it's different now; there are 40 trails and less sofas. Is that such a bad thing?

If you want some adventure don't take a map, the amount of trails that have been constructed since '85 might surprise you. Chances are you'll miss out. The network is really good, much easier for non-locals to have a local experience.

Personally I dont miss cleaning up the sofas, cars, snowmobiles, glass, targets, beer cans, and what ever else was tossed.

ps watch out for the skiff milkvetch (endangered plant) and the Gunnison Sage grouse (threatened animal)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider
    Usually Hartmans is ridable 'till Thanksgiving. Gates dont get closed until there is too much snow, then a local nordic club grooms 40k-50k out there. Yes it's different now; there are 40 trails and less sofas. Is that such a bad thing?

If you want some adventure don't take a map, the amount of trails that have been constructed since '85 might surprise you. Chances are you'll miss out. The network is really good, much easier for non-locals to have a local experience.

Personally I dont miss cleaning up the sofas, cars, snowmobiles, glass, targets, beer cans, and what ever else was tossed.

ps watch out for the skiff milkvetch (endangered plant) and the Gunnison Sage grouse (threatened animal)
    BANK!

I heard they built a gate so I just thought I'd ask.

I have fond memories of riding there and getting all hypothermix around the first week of December. The 80s were a drought but it still got a tad nippy. I also have fond memories getting all Hunter Thompson in the granite quarry on South Beaver Creek - but that's another story.

I've heard you guys have done some good work there and I'm looking forward to rolling the goods.

mtbr member
    What exactly do you wax?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by rubystreet
    What exactly do you wax?
    Philosophic, poetic, nostalgic, reminiscent, potatoes and and and Brazillians.

Swole. Bishes.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 09-22-2009 at 07:49 AM.