mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Hardtail Recommendations.......

Hello all,
    Any thoughts or advice on hardtails----- best bang for the buck in the $1500.00 range??

Thanks to all in advance

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    hit up Grassroots or the shop in Palisade for the best customer service in the valley..bar none

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    check out motobecane,or sette.You can score a great lightweight ride w/either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not to discount the importance of the right components but what makes a hardtail frame good, better or great? Anything changed since I had my Specialized M2 built up?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Giant is likely to give you best bang-for-buck.

mtbr member
    Steel is real. Transition Trans Am. Carried by both Grassroots and Rapid Creek Cycles (the shop in Palisade).

mtbr member
    If you can stretch a bit more this would be a amazing bike to own http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/191...ntain-Bike.htm
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Surly Pugsley............end of story.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    you can always do one of these...sure to be killer on the smooooth single track at 18rd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Dude, I was being serious (for once).
    Given his price range and wanting the most bang for the buck you can't find a better value than the pugs. You can build 'em ss or geared. you can run 26" or 29" wheels and find me another bike that rides equally well in the middle of winter and the middle of summer.

If Chuck Norris invented a bike, it'd be a Pugsley and you would be forced to ride it.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Running a pugsley as a actual mountain bike sounds all well and good, but that frame takes larger hubs, which means larger wheels which means larger tires. The Pugsley is made for a 4 inch wide tires, you just dont mountain bike on that. Pretty much made for riding on sand or snow, not flying down a XC trail.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    Running a pugsley as a actual mountain bike sounds all well and good, but that frame takes larger hubs, which means larger wheels which means larger tires. The Pugsley is made for a 4 inch wide tires, you just dont mountain bike on that. Pretty much made for riding on sand or snow, not flying down a XC trail.
    Not sure what you mean by "larger hubs" but I think 100m front and 135mm rear is pretty much standard, right? Maybe I missed something.

Anyway, you can build up a 29" wheelset and swap out the fatties for a more conventional ride if you want. I'm pretty sure you'd find guys just about anywhere "flying down XC trails" on 29ers.

My Pugs rides (if I can ever get it back from Hermosa) just like a "actual" mtn. bike. It just looks like a total junkshow clown bike.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Surly advertises it as 135 FRONT and 135 back which is not standard. Standard is 100 front 135 back. Unless you use a fork that supports a 100mm hub, I wouldnt use it for trails. There are better frames for the money, that are actually made for what he wants.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Those are the old forks (like mine).

Here's what they've been making for the last two or three years
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...sley+Fork.aspx

Surly's web page is way out of date. The only guys building Pugs now with the 135mm front are guys who want to switch from geared to ss without a bunch of hassel.
    -Sage Francis

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    I really like the idea of the 29 for a hardtail, mucho mucho for xc riding. The new specialized carbon frame 29 looks sick , I also really dig the GF Superfly, these frames are not cheep though, and out of your price range.
    1500 bucks?? jamis steel 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Those are the old forks (like mine).

Here's what they've been making for the last two or three years
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...sley+Fork.aspx

Surly's web page is way out of date. The only guys building Pugs now with the 135mm front are guys who want to switch from geared to ss without a bunch of hassel.
    Considering the Pugsley frame comes with the 135mm fork already it makes no sence to me to spend another 120 on a 100mm fork when for almost half that price you can buy a Karate Monkey Frame which will give you the same setup for a 29er for a lot less money.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    HOLY CRAP!

You realize the advice was for someone other than yourself. This is not the Surly board. Why do you persist, it's fukin' ridiculous.

You can order the frame with either the 100mm or the 135mm fork. It's not that big of a deal for Surly(QBP) to stock both flavors of fork. There is absolutely no need to purchase another fork.
    Last edited by bones get broke; 07-31-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    -Sage Francis