mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here. Gunnison and Crested Butte Tent Camping Recommendation?

I'm planning a trip to the area in mid-August. I was surprised at the lack of state parks and other non-RV camping I turn up with searches. Although camping in a tent, I prefer running water and decent bathhouses, in other words "car camping" rather than primitive camping.

The only thing promising I've turned up is Elk Creek Campground some distance west of Gunnison in Curecanti National Recreation Area, but it looks pretty exposed for tent camping and is far from the goods in Crested Butte.

Any recommendations for the Gunnison or Crested Butte area? Quiet is better than party.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Only choice for running water and bathrooms: Crested Butte RV Resort

Tigers love pepper...
    I camped in one of the forest service campgrounds above Crested Butte along 401 trail. Nice enough bathrooms (pits) and no running water that I remember though. Ride the 401 right from your site though! Other than it raining all night and my tent almost flooding it was an awesome spot!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    "Decent bathhouses" are what exactly? Warm water? Showers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Camp up Gothic or Washington Gulch. Pay for a shower at the hostel in town before returning to camp.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by parser View Post
    I'm planning a trip to the area in mid-August. I was surprised at the lack of state parks and other non-RV camping I turn up with searches. Although camping in a tent, I prefer running water and decent bathhouses, in other words "car camping" rather than primitive camping.

The only thing promising I've turned up is Elk Creek Campground some distance west of Gunnison in Curecanti National Recreation Area, but it looks pretty exposed for tent camping and is far from the goods in Crested Butte.

Any recommendations for the Gunnison or Crested Butte area? Quiet is better than party.
    First of all, CO tends to have relatively fewer State Parks. They tend to be on lakes or reservoirs. Lots of Forest Service CGs, which rarely have running water other than spigots to fill your jug.

Second of all, spend at least one night at the KOA in Gunnison. KOA Dave is a rock star, and the place is really nice. It's a commercial campground for sure, with green irrigated grass and what-all. It also has really nice shower facilities. And it's right close to Hartman Rocks, which has amazing riding, even though it's much lower than CB.

My advice, bookend your CB trip with nights at KOA. Start out clean and showered, head up to CB. Camp with your butt in the dust, get dirty. A little tip: a roll of paper towels and a little bottle of rubbing alcohol is good for hitting the hot spots to keep the worst of your filth under control.

Have a real CO mountain experience. Get dirty, bug bitten, and tired. Let your freak flag fly. Then go see KOA Dave. He's a vacation in a bottle, that guy.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Camp up Gothic or Washington Gulch. Pay for a shower at the hostel in town before returning to camp.
    ^^^This or invest in a nice propane portable shower.

mtbr member
    The aforementioned drainages as well as Brushcreek.

Add a 5 gal Sunshower and you're good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gunnison and Crested Butte Tent Camping Recommendation?-dscn0694.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Good job!

Thanks for the feedback. I've certainly done my share of primitive camping in my backpacking days and even done a night or two in CO. I actually forgot that I own a sun shower already. I can probably live with it for a night or two plus it will be cheap. I'm definitely going to be a on a budget this trip due to home repairs, car repairs, dying cellphone, etc. Amazing how life can interfere with a lifestyle.

Good recommendations, thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    First of all, CO tends to have relatively fewer State Parks. They tend to be on lakes or reservoirs. Lots of Forest Service CGs, which rarely have running water other than spigots to fill your jug.

Second of all, spend at least one night at the KOA in Gunnison. KOA Dave is a rock star, and the place is really nice. It's a commercial campground for sure, with green irrigated grass and what-all. It also has really nice shower facilities. And it's right close to Hartman Rocks, which has amazing riding, even though it's much lower than CB.

My advice, bookend your CB trip with nights at KOA. Start out clean and showered, head up to CB. Camp with your butt in the dust, get dirty. A little tip: a roll of paper towels and a little bottle of rubbing alcohol is good for hitting the hot spots to keep the worst of your filth under control.

Have a real CO mountain experience. Get dirty, bug bitten, and tired. Let your freak flag fly. Then go see KOA Dave. He's a vacation in a bottle, that guy.
    Listen to this guy, but I'd rock baby wipes instead of rubbing alcohol.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    ^^^This or invest in a nice propane portable shower.
    ahhh......I hope you have one of these.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SicBith View Post
    ahhh......I hope you have one of these.
    I do, but only use it maybe once or twice a year, usually on the yearly hunting trip in the fall. When it comes to propane showers you kinda get what you pay for. You can get by on the cheap ones, but if you want something that actually works really well then go with the high output/full propane tank high BTU burners. Sometimes there is nothing like a hot shower at the end of a long day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One more question: Will I need a Garmin or similar if I want to track my ride or position on 401? I normally use Strava on iPhone but Googling results in a lack of clarity about whether a smart phone can track a ride without signal and it is my understanding that I can expect no signal there. I'm not competitive about times but I do like a recording for my own purposes.

And for you Luddites, don't worry, I'll still enjoy the ride even if I can't record it. We all went without GPS for decades and may have been happier for it, but that doesn't mean I don't want GPS.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^^^ on 401 you'll definitely need a garmin as there won't be any signal much past the gothic townsite.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Do you mean to tell me the iPhone doesn't have a "real" (satellite) GPS capability??

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Do you mean to tell me the iPhone doesn't have a "real" (satellite) GPS capability??
    come on man! get with the times, don't you know all the cool kids nowadays have garmin units?

Not sure on the phone apps, but I imagine you can track without needing a phone signal, just GPS? Love my garmin edge 200 though, cell phones just don't work anywhere a few miles outside of CB.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    come on man! get with the times, don't you know all the cool kids nowadays have garmin units?
    Garmin is so 2009.

Not sure on the phone apps, but I imagine you can track without needing a phone signal, just GPS? Love my garmin edge 200 though, cell phones just don't work anywhere a few miles outside of CB.
    This is what I'm wondering about - a lot of phones have a GPS chip in them which receives signal from satellites, not cell towers. So they *do* work as a GPS unit even if they have no cell signal.

At least this is what I have been led to believe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's what I was worried about. If you search the subject you get a lot of responses saying either that a particular app either does or does not work well. It seems to be a pretty consistent recommendation to not synch the ride until you get back into range, or preferably, wi-fi + cell wireless. I have absolutely no idea why people recommend that.

If Garmin is 2009, what is 2014? What are all the cool kids buying?

bacon! bacon! bacon!

If Garmin is 2009, what is 2014? What are all the cool kids buying?
    They're all using their GPS-enabled phone... duh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I guess I was being oblivious. However we have differing opinions on this thread. I have not found anywhere around where I live to test this theory out. We have at least weak coverage everywhere around here. Maybe I'll get a chance between now and August somewhere to test it out.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I guess I was being oblivious. However we have differing opinions on this thread. I have not found anywhere around where I live to test this theory out. We have at least weak coverage everywhere around here. Maybe I'll get a chance between now and August somewhere to test it out.
    Test what?

Just turn off your mobile connection and see if your maps still work. Works on my Blackberry - and it's a *Blackberry* for God's sake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think I figured out how to do that. The app runs for sure. Probably be good enough without putting money into a device I'll rarely use. I'll test it out tomorrow.

The recommendations from Strava are that the mapping works best with signal, even better yet with wi-fi, and you get a warning if you disable. I hit up my local club and the consensus seems to be that the GPS still works on iPhone with no signal but the track drifts, especially with tighter switchbacks and under tree cover. I'll probably go with the smart phone, since I don't want to put money into something I would rarely need, and I already have the phone.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Team Velveeta™
    GPS still works on my iPhone5 when out of cell service.

I still use a dedicated GPS though. Nobody ever called me progressive.

Seriously, using the phone as GPS is a battery sucker (at least with my iPhone). I have used it on 5 hours rides and nearly chowed a fully charged battery. My Garmin eTrex 20 will run for well over 24 hours on a pair of high quality rechargeable AA batteries.

Yes, the cool kids don't have GPS units, digi cameras, mp3 players etc any more cuz all that stuff's in their phone. But I wonder if they ever ride more than 5 or 6 hours.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    GPS still works on my iPhone5 when out of cell service.

I still use a dedicated GPS though. Nobody ever called me progressive.

Seriously, using the phone as GPS is a battery sucker (at least with my iPhone). I have used it on 5 hours rides and nearly chowed a fully charged battery. My Garmin eTrex 20 will run for well over 24 hours on a pair of high quality rechargeable AA batteries.

Yes, the cool kids don't have GPS units, digi cameras, mp3 players etc any more cuz all that stuff's in their phone. But I wonder if they ever ride more than 5 or 6 hours.
    The this is pretty much the reason why I have the garmin edge unit. It tracks better, it's small/simple (mounts nicely even on a short stem), rechargeable Lithium battery that lasts for at least 24hrs and it's impervious to mud/rain/dirt. I love my smartphone, but it still sucks for ride tracking.