mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Grand Junction New Trials?

Heading to Junction to ride this weekend and wondering if any new trails have been built in the last year since I moved away other than PBR?

Havent done Palisade Rim when I lived there, is it worth doing one day if I love Lunch Loops?

Thanks

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I enjoyed the Pall Rim and really easy to hit on the way back to Denver. The trail still has some soft spots its so new so hit it and help burn it in. Awesome views, some tech, some flow...and it is aptly named. In a few spots its RIGHT on that rim. Ride both loops. The upper is worth it.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    I enjoyed the Pall Rim. In a few spots its RIGHT on that rim.
    The Palisade trail-builders must like their trails right on the edge of sheer cliffs. Its been awhile since I've ridden Stagecoach on the other side of the interstate. Parts of the trails are about a foot from the front edge on top of the Bookcliffs. It was so windy both times I did Stagecoach that I'm not ashamed to say there were times I got off my bike and walked a couple sections even though it was just flat and smooth.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    The Palisade trail-builders must like their trails right on the edge of sheer cliffs. Its been awhile since I've ridden Stagecoach on the other side of the interstate. Parts of the trails are about a foot from the front edge on top of the Bookcliffs. It was so windy both times I did Stagecoach that I'm not ashamed to say there were times I got off my bike and walked a couple sections even though it was just flat and smooth.
    Everyone has their pucker level when it comes to exposure. Some folks live off of being inches from death...some folks cringe at being 9 foot off the ground... The main thing is - if you find yourself in a trail or section that is way beyond your ability or comfort, then there is no shame in getting off the bike and walking it.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Everyone has their pucker level when it comes to exposure. Some folks live off of being inches from death...some folks cringe at being 9 foot off the ground... The main thing is - if you find yourself in a trail or section that is way beyond your ability or comfort, then there is no shame in getting off the bike and walking it.
    Nicely said.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Awesome views, some tech, some flow...and it is aptly named. In a few spots its RIGHT on that rim. Ride both loops. The upper is worth it.
    Finally got around to riding the upper loop. I guess that the old out-and-back trail has been discontinued. The mesa-side of the upper loop seems to go on forever. That section of trail was well built. Constant, steady climb (nothing too steep) with everything in good shape even though it is mostly all on steep hillsides. The rim-side of the upper loop is definitely a rim job. Like mentioned, some sections cut right next to the rim. A fair amount is ~5' from the edge, but there is no room for mistakes. You screw up and biker go spalt at the bottom of the canyon.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Next time I do the Rim I'm going to try the upper loop ccw. It might mess with my rim views to go up on the rim side but I want to see what the Mesa side of the upper loop is like ccw...I think it would have good flow that way.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Next time I do the Rim I'm going to try the upper loop ccw. It might mess with my rim views to go up on the rim side but I want to see what the Mesa side of the upper loop is like ccw...I think it would have good flow that way.
    I did the upper loop cw. A bit perplexing because it seemed like I was climbing forever on the mesa side and was expecting a long downhill on the rim side. The rim side was relatively short and flat.

I agree that ccw may be a good option. Again kudos to the trail builders because that soil is not easy to get a good pack on, but the trail is in great shape.

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    It rides fine both ways, different feel though. You see the rim more going CCW just because you're moving slower.

Thanks for the Kudos on this trail, it was a loooooong (approx 6 yrs) slog to get it through the system from concept to trail on the ground. It involved a lot of people ultimately, and a significant private donation for fencing which allowed us to satisfy the irrigation district and secure an easement across the waterway. That was a big issue.

Join COPMOBA and come out for some work days to help make and maintain what we have here.

Scott
    COPMOBA Pres.
    Owner Rapid Creek Cycles, Palisade
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Scott and all,

Great job on all you do out there. You have a spectacular trail system out there and the Pallisade Rim is one great new trail. I know amongst my buddies here on the FR, we have nothing but great things to say about the scene out there and we have a lot of reasons to frequent your side of the state now. I hope that also translates to some dollars for you a well and I think it will if it hasn't already.