Beer Drnkr w/bike problem

Grand Junction MTB race in August

Hello all, if you haven't heard there's a new event going on in Grand Junction put on by epicrides.com and I had a question regarding the trails that are being used.
    I ride single speed only, I just need to know what a good gearing would be for the 30 grand course. if there can be any comparison I race the Whiskey off road 32x20t 9r and placed top 15 in the 25 proof but still 30 minutes behind 1st pl. (by the way I think the winner was from Co.)
    I know there's climbing but can anyone tell me if the biggest part is long and steep forest road or otherwise. I don't think I'll have the chance to pre-ride it, I'm not worried about any DH portions just the climbs and what cog will work best overall. I plan on staying for a few days after and riding other trails too.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

scarred
    A 32/20 setup is common in the Grand Valley especially if they focus their riding in Grand Junction. The climbs can be steep and sustained and the technical steps and moves seem to be best tackled, like a when eating a crunchy taco, with a couple more teeth.

The course has some sustained climbs and some sections that really can be momentum challenges so carrying a slightly higher cadence with those bigger wheels is a good combination. The course is scenic offering expansive views of the Grand Valley, so while grinding away up the course, there is a lot to enjoy. And some great beer in town to celebrate the adventure at the end of a ride!
    Dave Grossman,
    Event Manager
    Grand Junction Off-Road (Aug 30 - Sept 1).
    EpicRides.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I thought I saw that the experts route was up Tabegauche at Lunch Loops, LPR, Magellan, then back down again. Tons of tough climbing for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I imagine that you've looked at the course map and queue sheet for the 30. If so, the first large climb is mostly up the Tabeguache trail. This is an old rutted out jeep trail but it now has some rock gardens and a few uphill ledges. The widowmaker hill at mile 4.37 will be too steep and loose for most riders to ride regardless of what gears they have - most would probably push faster anyway. Aside from this section the first big climb is doable by an advanced intermediate rider on a geared bike but there is some chunk to it. The second long climb after Aid Station 2, is less clear to me as there is a decent dirt road in that area along with a network of vaguely parallel ATV and jeep trails. The standard route back up from this aid station is a long uphill gravel grind (looks doable in HC vehicle)- taking the ATV trails just adds a bit of loose dirt to the tedium. None of this is too steep - its just long and tedious. There are two shorter hills after the second long climb. One is on Andy's trail at about mile 21.5. This is steep single track and is loose and exposed. But it's only a couple of 100ft ascent. At this point the combination of exposure and exhaustion will probably reduce many to walking. There is another short punchy climb at mile 23.4 - probably just 100ft with some switchbacks but this will be the last non-downhill section (the rest is a cruise with some chunky stuff here and there). If you are gunning for a podium finish this may matter.

Sorry that I can't offer singlespeed gearing advice as I have a geared setup. Hope you come out and enjoy the race.

I was going to set up in a 32x20t then a friend who used to live there told me I better go up a tooth or I am doomed. He is a much stronger rider than I am and he is going 21t so I'm thinking I better be safe and go up one. I figure spinning will help keep me from killing myself for the rest of the week which I plan on riding my brains out every day. I never been riding up there so I am going to take advantage of it.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    40mile course has 5500ft of gain if that helps

That hurt but in a good way. 21t was a bit spinny but for a race pace was good enough for me. I lost most my time on the jeep road from the 30/40 split to the black top, for some reason dirt roads kill me and I began to bonk a little. I was ahead of several people on gears who were able to drop me on that section and they ended up finishing 18 minutes ahead of me because of it. Great event and I will be back, congratulations to the local "Will" who took first place no problem.
    I also got a taste for Lunch loops, 18 rd & Kokopelli's "More fun trail" and everything in my body hurts now.

Tigers love pepper...
    Glad you liked it. I don't know who Will is, but holy crap that seemed fast!

Were you full rigid as well? I didn't watch any of the Saturday race but hear some/most SS'ers were rigid. My body hurts just thinking of riding half of that course on my rigid/SS.

I had front suspension, full rigid would have killed me on this course. I can say without a doubt this course was tougher than the whiskey off road, I had to walk a couple times at GJ. Fun time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    hope you come back and do it again next year.