mtbr member

Grand Junction/Moab Trip April 21st-28th 2012

Biking Nirvana!.....well we had been there back in Sept of 2005…..we carefully planned our return to the Grand Junction Colorado and Moab Utah areas to Mountain Bike. Denis, Al, Joan, Turbo Tom, and I settled on the dates and quickly found out it was the same week as the Fruita Fat Tire Festival. We were worried about crowds so we set up our trip to enjoy the GJ area at the beginning of the week then head to Moab Midweek and return just in time to at least visit the Festival. We solicited ideas on what areas to ride from our friends on MTBR.com by posting on the Western Colorado Regional boards. Many MTBR users gave us great suggestions on trails to ride and what order to visit the different areas within our limited time. We travelled on Saturday both ways (3 connections!) and laid plans as follows:
    Sunday- Fruita /BookCliffs(18 Road) area
    Monday-Fruita/Loma KoKopelli area
    Tuesday-GrandJunction/Taguabauche (LunchLoops) area
    Wednesday-CO/UT border/Rabbit Valley area
    Thursday-Moab/Klondike Bluffs area
    Friday-Moab/MOAB Brand Trails area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-016.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-029.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-038.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-046.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-052.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

Base Camp

Our base camp was in the GJ area….in WhiteWater where Tom’s Mom Ollie and friend Marv lived in a beautiful area on a bench high above the mighty Colorado River and in the shadow of the Grand Mesa and Garfield Mountain. Denis, Tom, and I rented bikes from Brown Cycles and Ruby Canyon Cycles which are both located on the main street of Grand Junction. Denis and Tom got new Trek Rumble Fish and I got a Specialized StumpJumper 29er. My bike was expertly set up by Ruby Canyon Cycles…..i was not able to pick up my bike myself due to late arriving flights on Saturday so they asked height , weight, and ride preference questions via the phone. I will rent again from Ruby Canyon Cycles given the set up and service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-074.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-065.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-071.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-087.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-078.jpg  

mtbr member

Day by day

Saturday(4/21)- We arrived in Grand Junction at 6:30pm and were met by Marv and Ollie at the airport and quickly whisked away to Tequila’s a local Mexican Cantina near downtown GJ. After a nice dinner we headed down to walk main street GJ. The main drag was hopping with people out enjoying the warmer than usual temperatures. Bike culture was evident everywhere….not just the 2 shops downtown on main street but bike sculpture and many people riding bikes in that area. We headed to WhiteWater to check out our accommodations and get ready for our first day of riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-091.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-098.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-101.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-104.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-110.jpg  

mtbr member

Sunday

Sunday(4/22)- We left WhiteWater at 7:30 am…..IHOP was our first stop on the way to the Fruita area….we tanked up for a full day of riding. Temperatures were about 20 degrees higher than normal for this time of year…topping out at about 85D in the 18 Road Parking area at about 3pm. There were about 100+ campsites occupied when we arrived in the morning and the main parking lot was at capacity. Al & Joan along with Matt & Dawn who had been in Colorado skiing for past 6 weeks were in the parking lot when we arrived. We rode everything in the area except The Edge Loop that goes up and over the mountain. Even with the big weekend turnout there we really didn’t feel crowded…we could see people in almost any direction we looked but did not have an issue with waiting behind people to ride a section of trail. We finished our day of riding at approx. 3:30pm and decided to head to the Ale Haus in GJ for a few beers. Marv and Ollie hosted a steak cookout at our base camp (there home) that evening. We invited Al, Joan, Matt, and Dawn who had been camping at 18 Road to join us. Good time had by all for the evening with much discussion about what we should see and ride the rest of the week.

BTW....my pictures of 18 Road are on my IPad but i by accident deleted them from my camera during the download process....so the pics don't match the day...the pics in this sequence are from Lunch Loops....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-111.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-119.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-126.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-145.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-148.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 08-05-2012 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member

By the way the pics don't exactly match story sequence..

Monday(4/23)- Early start again with a 7:30am departure headed to the Fruita/Loma area to ride Kokopelli’s Loop Trail Area…..We were in the main lot relaxing when Al , Joan, Matt , and Dawn joined us………as we were getting ready another couple arrived who turned out to be from New Hampshire living fairly close to Al, Joan, Matt, and Dawn…..so we invited them to join us. We rode Mary’s Loop to HorseThief Bench Loop to Steve’s Loops…all of them…and then backtracked on Mary’s Loop to Wranglers Loop back to the vehicles…..We stopped to take pictures in many places and to just hang out and enjoy the views of the Colorado River…..what a place! We headed back to GJ’s Kannah Creek Micro Brewery and Pub…..we hung out here for awhile before making our way back to WhiteWater. Al and Joan joined us for a pasta dinner with Marv and Ollie and decided to stay with us for the next 2 nights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-161.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-174.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-186.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-188.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-191.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 08-05-2012 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member

What a day....

Tuesday(4/24) - Tuesday we headed to Taguabache(Lunch Loops) for an early morning ride……although very close to the areas we rode on Sunday and Monday the Lunch Loops had its own look and feel…..very well marked and maintained with the view of the city below us from most directions…..we saw a large King Snake during the ride up by Miramonte Loop……there were a few more people using the trails….not all bike riders but plenty of trail runners and hikers…..we decided to finish up our ride at about noon and take it easy checking out some of the local sites for the rest of the day. Since we were at the entrance to the Rocky Mountain National Monument we took the auto road tour through the park….fantastic sights all the way through the 18 or so miles of roadway…we pulled off at least a dozen times to check out the views….as we pulled out of the park we realized we were near Fruita so we headed to the Hot Tomato for a light lunch and beers….really fun place….definitely in the heart of bike land…we also took a walk around town including a trip in to Over The Edge Sports…. Next we headed back to GJ and stopped at REI, Ruby Canyon Cycles, and Brown Cycles checking out all the latest gear. We finished our day up with a visit to a local Chinese restaurant in WhiteWater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-206.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-211.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-223.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-228.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-230.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 08-05-2012 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member

Rabbit Valley...

Wednesday(4/25)- We left for Moab at 7am with an extended stop at Rabbit Valley planned for riding. We pulled in off the highway and drove in about 2 miles along dirt roads….not a sole in sight…..decided to park just above a road that led down to McDonald Camp area……we rode out on double track to the Colorado River and followed the river cliff banks for many miles south….the Western Rim Trail….this was probably my favorite riding area of the entire week…..it was like a giant Horse Thief Bench trail(a trail we had ridden on Monday in the Kokopelli’s area) …..it went on for mile upon mile of switch backs along the ancient cliffs…..mostly a rock surface…..we ended doing a out and back ride that lasted for about 5 hours……we only started to see some other riders on our way back….most told us they were in town for the Fat Tire Festival……..we packed up our rig and headed to Moab. We rented a small cabin along the Colorado River just below Arches National Park and at the edge of town. The lodging turned out to be perfect…clean….well designed…air conditioned….and the rest of the sites facilities were clean and worked well. We headed into town for dinner at the Fiesta Mexicana and an evening of checking out the main town. There was a car show in town for the weekend and many nice vehicles were cruising the main street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-580.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-589.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-611.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-619.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-631.jpg  

mtbr member

Moab...

Thursday (4/26)- We headed to Klondike Bluffs riding area first thing in the morning. We were amazed how many trails had been added to this area from our last visit in 2005. In fact we never really rode the Klondike Bluffs trail that we had done on our last visit…..we decided to ride the entire new network of trails….the terrain really felt different in comparison to western Colorado ……rock everywhere….ridgelines….drainages…….lots of sand in the wash areas…..tons of fun to ride….at about 11 in the morning we encountered a huge sandstorm….that blew in very fast….with little warning….we had to stop and take shelter alongside some rocks until it subsided maybe 25 minutes in total…..sand was everywhere in our ears, nose, mouth, eyes…..a few drops of rain followed but it was not a problem and we finished our ride. As we were packing up the sun popped out….we decided to go over to the all new MOAB Brands trail area that was on our way back to town to get in a second ride. There we split up with some of crew headed over to Gemini Bridge , some headed back to town, and myself and Tom riding down the paved bike path to access “DeadMans” Trail before heading to Arches National Park. Well just as we got to the trail head Tom’s bike began to have some problems……we decided I would ride in and Tom would cruise back to town….i headed in a ways only to be met by 4 ladies from Montreal/Quebec…..they let me know I was riding the trail “up”….decided to follow them back to the bike path and down to Arches National Park…….After a short stop at the park entrance we headed for home….about a mile from home another storm blew in….this time lightning, high winds, and heavy rain. We came upon the 4 from Quebec huddled under a trail head sign….there ride was nowhere in sight or possibly lost…..we offered to come back with the truck and bring them to Arches N.P. entrance where they thought there ride might be. After getting everyone home safely we headed to the Moab Diner for dinner and finished our night off at Eddie McStiffs enjoying some brews.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-647.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-653.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-663.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-683.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-687.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 08-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member

Moab

Friday(4/47)- We packed up early(7am) and headed out for our last day of riding. The weather had changed again with the storms bringing in a cold front with temps starting out at 60deg of course with bright sunshine….big change from earlier days of the trip. We explored the totally new riding area that is situated at the top of the paved bike path out of town …just past Arches N. P. and across from the Gemini Bridge area. We explored the entire perimeter of the area putting in about a 4 hour ride. Really nice single track…and some amazing slick rock riding too on the Rockin A trail! We headed back to Colorado….along the way we made a planned stop at the Fruita Fat Tire Festival……enjoying the festivities and made another visit to the Hot Tomato for a late lunch. Late in the afternoon we returned our bikes to Ruby Canyon Cylces and Browns Cycle. We spent our last night in Colorado downtown and had dinner at Naggy McGee’s. Pretty amazing trip…would recommend all the areas we rode….we had a few flat tires and a couple of mechanicals but not bad for a week of cycling. Feel free to post your pics of riding the areas we did….Ride On!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-699.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-700.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-706.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-709.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-755.jpg  

Last edited by JeffSkisMontana; 08-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member

A few more...

...pics from Moab and Fruita
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-774.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-800.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-794.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-813.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-824.jpg  

mtbr member

Figured how....

..to get some of my pics from IPad over to my desktop....these are from arrival Saturday and Sundays ride at 18 Road area of Fruita...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-1-2-.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-1-4-.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-2.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-3.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-3-3-.jpg  

mtbr member

More from the IPad...

.....Saturday and first day of riding Sunday....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-2-4-.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-1.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-5-2-.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-2-2-.jpg  

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-photo-4-3-.jpg  

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    Awesome write-up. I look forward to the next trip. Say, Apr 2013?

Thread Terrorist
    Looks like you had a blast!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    My Brother and I did the same trip, ended in Durango after Moab.....had a blast, did you ride the Whole Enchilada? If not, that gives you a good excuse to go back.

2006 Yeti AS-X

I thought I wasn't the only one who was thinking the same thing when I saw this huge bike!

Grand Junction/Moab Trip  April 21st-28th 2012-mtbr_gregridingbigbikegj.jpg
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Only 5 lives left
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post

I thought I wasn't the only one who was thinking the same thing when I saw this huge bike!
    Artist must have been a motorcyclist too, front brake lever is on the right.