mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Grand Junction and Fruita for Valentines -President's day

My two boys and I (13,16,and 43 years old respectively) are going to ride this area on the 14th and 15th. Last year we rode the Kokopelli area both days and had a good time, but had to hang back because we brought along some beginners and non-MTBers. This time it's just us boys riding. We are very capable skill wise but we are out of shape from not riding during the past few months of winter.
    I'd like to hit Kokopelli's on Sunday and hopefully some more slickrock type areas with 1000ft or less climbing on Monday. Is there a trail that fits this description or should we just choose a different loop around the Kokopelli's area? We all ride FS trail bikes, and the boys favorite trail down south is Gooseberry Mesa. We enjoy going to southern Colorado to change our winter desert vacations up a bit.
    This is only our 2nd trip to the area so we would appreciate any good recommendations.

Thanks,
    Chris

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Horsethief would be a good trail if you want a lot of rocky trail with the climbing criteria you mention. You have to climb up Mary's to get to it and then down the Bench (and back up the Bench when you are done). That is in the Kokepelli trail system.

The thing is that Fruita/GJ trails is about 75-80% singletrack and rest of it rocks and some slickrock sections but nothing like you would find in Goose or Moab. Moab Brand Trails would give you a 90% slickrock experience 7 miles north of Moab on US191.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    14th and 15th of this month?

We have a TON of snow this year, almost nothing is rideable (it snowed again last night). I strongly doubt anything here will be worth a trip by next weekend.

I'd suggest going to Moab, they should have a limited about of trails becoming rideable by then.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I also just returned from Gooseberry and everything that you could get to was in prime shape, other than Little Creek Mesa which still had snow on the main loop. The slick rock was all good to go though. It did snow again the day after we left but it disappears fast down there.

Not sure how far north you are but have you thought about trying Vegas, Phoenix or Tucson? They are all open for business and might be your best guaranteed option for next weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I live near Ogden. We already booked the hotels for those days in GJ so SouthWestern UT and Vegas is out of the question.
    We usually alternate between Moab and Zions because it's the first 3 day weekend every year.
    We were planning to hit the test loop of slickrock trail Saturday afternoon just because we're driving through. That will have to be our way of scoping out Moab. If the trails in Fruita aren't clear then hopefully Moab is and we can just drive there to ride. It's not really that far from our hotel. I'm sure there is somewhere in that desert area that's rideable. It doesn't have to be warm, just rideable.

If worse comes to worst we can alway ditch the kids and go with Grandma to the weed store. Vacation saved!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    All of the sudden our temps seem to have skipped the 30s altogether and gone from sub-freezing to 40+ and possibly even 50º in the coming days. This means it's gonna be awfully tempting to ride, but the trails will be an absolute disaster this weekend. Please avoid riding muddy trails - we've waited so long to ride this season and the last thing we wanna do is ride rutted out highways when they finally dry.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    All of the sudden our temps seem to have skipped the 30s altogether and gone from sub-freezing to 40+ and possibly even 50º in the coming days. This means it's gonna be awfully tempting to ride, but the trails will be an absolute disaster this weekend. Please avoid riding muddy trails - we've waited so long to ride this season and the last thing we wanna do is ride rutted out highways when they finally dry.
    +1...head to Moab or somewhere with a lot of rock that will dry out quickly. GJ/Fruita/Salida/Cortez are going to be super muddy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    You can relax about the mud, already. I got the message. It's becoming condescending.

I'm not the type of person who would bring my family to your local trails and trash them.

I checked on more than one forum to be sure of the trail conditions, and inquired if there were slickrock/dry soil types in the area, to which I was told there weren't any trails like that in the area.
    It was suggested that Moab was our best bet. I accepted this advice and posted I will be riding in the Moab area, but our hotel reservations are in Grand Junction so I will be sleeping there.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by championp View Post
    You can relax about the mud, already. I got the message. It's becoming condescending.
    Certainly not my intention, it's just that in general people don't look at the trail conditions sticky and since your post was specifically about this weekend it seemed like a good place to post the message - it wasn't even really intended for you.

I've received several e-mails and messages from folks planning on coming this weekend, unaware of conditions. I'm simply trying to update wherever possible (posted the message on FB in a few locations). Fortunately, I think the mud is gonna be so bad that trail damage will be limited to the first half-mile of access from the TH! Because I don't see how wheels will be turning after.

Anyway, see you in Moab! Latest beta says only lower Amasa/Ahab and Slick Rock are clear.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Some pictures from the Slick Rock trail today. It's still pretty snowy on north facing slopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Will all this area be clear of snow by mid April? Coming this way on our way to Moab.
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiguy View Post
    Will all this area be clear of snow by mid April? Coming this way on our way to Moab.
    If Fruita/GJ are still under snow and ice in mid-April we probably have bigger problems than finding places to go mountain biking.

So yeah, remote chance that these conditions will persist another two months, but remote as in "I've never seen anything like that in 30 years living in Colorado".
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. Just started looking into our visit there and haven't checked weather history for the area. You just saved me some leg work. Thanks again TomP
    2016 Whyte T-130C RS
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.