Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010

Grand junction/Fruita for spring break

Headed out that way for the last week in March and want to ride some new stuff. I have been to fruita 4 times and maybe its me but I really didn't think it was all that? Did road 18 twice and its seems small, and the Kokelpeli (?) side was good but.....I must be missing something.
    I hear GJ has some cool stuff so where should I go?
    Thanks for the info

Tigers love pepper...
    What exactly are you looking for that you didn't find at 18rd or koko? More technical riding? If so, yes.... Head over to the lunch loops in GJ.

18 road also got a new downhill only trail recently (search PBR trail). And there is a new extension to Joes ridge opening soon that looks to be fun with lots of opportunity for air time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you want more variety and more techy trils then go to the Lunch Loop trails. Western Rim in Rabbit Valley is also a good trail. There is a wide variety of trails here so look around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Go somewhere else

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Go somewhere else
    This doesn't help much. Dude is honestly looking for some more trail advice. As someone who travels alone to MTB destinations frequently, I can attest to how annoying it can be to get to a place that everyone raves about and have an uninspiring ride, not be able to find the trails, poorly-marked trails, or just miss out on something that only locals know about. Good trail advice here can make the difference between a good and a bad time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wasn't trying to be a dick, was just saying maybe try something else, i am a big fruita/grand junction fan but know others who don't care for it(don't no why), but was just saying maybe try hurricane or moab or even sedona to name a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Wasn't trying to be a dick, was just saying maybe try something else, i am a big fruita/grand junction fan but know others who don't care for it(don't no why), but was just saying maybe try hurricane or moab or even sedona to name a few.
    I would agree with this. If he had never been or only been once, I might feel differently but (4) times? I guarantee you I don't go anywhere or do anything a 4th time if I didn't like it the 1st (3) times. That being said, he probably hasn't done all there is out there at Kokopelli because I know I haven't yet. There's also Rabbit Valley as well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The Skid Map

Get after it, Jack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Love places that do maps like this. I've been finding good info on the Fruita FB page too, some of it more up to date than the map: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fruit...ng/84641561869

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sick map! Everything at 18rd. is "snowpacked" but Burro Pass in Moab is dry! Guess I know where I'm goin'

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    Sick map! Everything at 18rd. is "snowpacked" but Burro Pass in Moab is dry! Guess I know where I'm goin'
    Heh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    agreed, it's a great map. however, it is a month out of date at the moment. have a look at the Fruita FB page for a better report on current conditions:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fruit...ng/84641561869

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    It appears as though you want something bigger, since you said that 18 road was too small for you. I agree you can hammer out everything at 18 road in a half day or less, maybe not the Edge Loop but pretty much everything else.

If you are looking for vast backcountry riding go out to Rabbit Valley. Do some research before hand and make sure you have a good map and compass or you are with someone who knows their way around. The trails aren't marked well but I think they are great. Check out the Western Rim, Zion Curtain, Overlook Trail and Westwater Mesa.

What did you ride at the Kokopelli? Did you ride Horsethief, Lions, Mack's Ridge, More Fun? If not, you should go back and hit these up.

If you aren't satisfied, well I guess you just may not like the area and that's ok...less people on the trails.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the info, I think Im going to try the Koko side again.I did more fun last time and that was cool, I would like to get more miles this time and I will be solo so I can ride what ever. Whats a good 20 to 30 mile loop on that side?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Thanks for the info, I think Im going to try the Koko side again.I did more fun last time and that was cool, I would like to get more miles this time and I will be solo so I can ride what ever. Whats a good 20 to 30 mile loop on that side?
    A good 30-ish mile loop on the Loma side is everything. Hit it all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree, start with Rustlers for the views and warm up then up and over to Horsethief then Steves, Lions to Troy Built[ which was re-routed last year]. Troy Built is often overlooked and I think its a great singletrack. Then finish up and over Mack Ridge then if you have the legs finish over More Fun.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Then finish up and over Mack Ridge then if you have the legs finish over More Fun.
    Oh man, Moore fun first! You'll want to ride this one fresh!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Troy Built is often overlooked and I think its a great singletrack.
    It's overlooked because it's hard to work into a ride. There needs to be a singletrack that goes from the Lion's Loop lot to Troy Built on the north side of Mack Ridge - that would be sweet.

I agree though, I love the trail.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Noah, that would be great, you could also go out using Mack Ridge, then down the dbl. track to pick up Troy Built. All good trails and usually empty with the parking lot full of pit racers.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I agree, start with Rustlers for the views and warm up then up and over to Horsethief then Steves, Lions to Troy Built[ which was re-routed last year]. Troy Built is often overlooked and I think its a great singletrack. Then finish up and over Mack Ridge then if you have the legs finish over More Fun.
    My recommendation is to *start* at Moore Fun - you do NOT want to skip that one because you're tired. That and if you park at that lot you get to finish the ride with that sweet Mack Ridge descent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It's overlooked because it's hard to work into a ride. There needs to be a singletrack that goes from the Lion's Loop lot to Troy Built on the north side of Mack Ridge - that would be sweet.
    I've wondered about this. Is there any specific reason that there has not been any effort to build this connecting trail? I know that it's a lot of organization and work to get a trail into place but, given all the trail building that has happened here recently, there has been no noticeable motion to building this connecting single track. Is there something special about this section?

Looking at the landscape it would either be a brute of a climb or else long and twisty.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    My recommendation is to *start* at Moore Fun - you do NOT want to skip that one because you're tired. That and if you park at that lot you get to finish the ride with that sweet Mack Ridge descent.
    Yep, you want to start your ride with Moore walking, that's for sure.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Yep, you want to start your ride with Moore walking, that's for sure.
    Well you definitely don't wanna do all that walking at the end of a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The OP stated that he's already done Moore Fun and is interested in logging miles, so I would recommend saving Moore Fun for last (if conditioning holds up) after trying everything else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    The OP stated that he's already done Moore Fun and is interested in logging miles, so I would recommend saving Moore Fun for last (if conditioning holds up) after trying everything else.
    Agreed thats how i do it, and i am no pro racer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast