mtbr member

Grand Junction/Fruita Family Vacation

I'm currently planning on taking my family to Moab Easter weekend (Thur thru Mon) and was wondering about Fruita/Grand Junction instead. I know the locale mountain biking is vast enough to keep those of us that ride entertained on the bike but what about non-biking activities for the rest of the family?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There's some nice hiking trails in and around the CO National Monument. Downtown area is nice, but usually not too hopping. You could certainly find stuff for family to enjoy, but not so sure it's as plentiful as the Moab area. GJ/Fruita is a quick and easy drive if you just want to head out for a day, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Something to think about, that is the time of jeep safari in Moab. It will be very crowded down there. A lot less people to deal with in our area, unless you like large crowds.

mtbr member
    Fiery Furnace in Arches Park is a really great hike with kids, it is guided and you would need to sign up. The sand hill across from Arches entrance is popular with kids as well. Moab has several nice parks, including the one with all the musical "type" stuff. It is not too far from the road leading to Slick Rock.
    Fruita has the Dinosaur Museum, and Rustlers Loop is a pretty good ride with kids, if they are into that.
    Good luck, I think you'll be able to find things to keep the kids entertained.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

pusher of buttons
    The great thing about GJ/Fruita is you are a day trip away from Moab without the expensive hotel costs etc. You can get a house rental through Fruita Crashpad for the cost of some hotels there. Plenty of mtb for kids such as Rustlers loop or Kessell run.
    By the mall you Bananas which is a kids park. Dinosaur Park in Fruita. Plenty to do.

And don't forget, real beer.
    WTF

Tigers love pepper...
    Dinosaur Museum, Bananas fun center, Fruita Rec center (pool), Ice skating, hiking/biking, Downtown GJ, parks, mall, national monument, Cross Orchards, Moon Farm, Math and Science Center, winery tours, etc, etc.....

Plenty to keep the family interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My family loves Moab. I go ride, they go have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Dinosaur Museum, Bananas fun center, Fruita Rec center (pool), Ice skating, hiking/biking, Downtown GJ, parks, mall, national monument, Cross Orchards, Moon Farm, Math and Science Center, winery tours, etc, etc.....

Plenty to keep the family interested.
    not to derail the topic, but how is the dino museum? I've always seen the sign for it and wondered about it.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    not to derail the topic, but how is the dino museum? I've always seen the sign for it and wondered about it.
    My 4 year old loves it, we have a yearly pass. It's alright for the adults, but if not for the kiddo, I wouldn't feel the need to visit repeatedly.