Thread: Grand Junction

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Grand Junction

Heading down to grand junction/fruita this weekend, can anyone give me a parking location and some good trail options for the grand junction area. I have been to bookcliff and kokopelli trails and know them well just can't really figure out tabeguache area not looking for big jumps and drops but anything else is fine. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    from grand junction, get on 340, also known as Broadway. head for the colorado national monument. turn at monument road, again, going to the colorado national monument. you will see the parking lot with cars and bikes and dogs and people on your left.

ride up pet-e-kes, turn left at high noon, ride to miramonte loop, come back and come down eagle's wing.

holy cross is the most fun trail ever out there, but if you don't want to do anything techy, you might not have fun. if you decide to ride it, know that everything on holy cross is rideable and everything is roll-able.

have fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    from grand junction, get on 340, also known as Broadway. head for the colorado national monument. turn at monument road, again, going to the colorado national monument. you will see the parking lot with cars and bikes and dogs and people on your left.

ride up pet-e-kes, turn left at high noon, ride to miramonte loop, come back and come down eagle's wing.

holy cross is the most fun trail ever out there, but if you don't want to do anything techy, you might not have fun. if you decide to ride it, know that everything on holy cross is rideable and everything is roll-able.

have fun

No problem with tech stuff just don't want giant jumps and drop-offs, Thanks

mtbr member
    Another good option for a loop is take Tabeguache all the way to the top / road, cross the road slight left & drop into Gunny Connector to Gunny, rip Gunny all the way to the road, ride the road back up to where you crossed, drop in & hit Pre-Nup to Holy Cross, then back up for whatever you still have steam for. Gunny is great for high speed, technical descending, Holy Cross for more slower speed, bicker tech sections, both super fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...tem_042612.pdf

This is a good map of the LL trail system (although I don't see the $1.6 million dollar trail).

A couple conventional routes up from the main trailhead are Pet-e-Kes (continue on Pre-Nup if desired) and the Tabegauche double-track. From there, you can pick your own adventure.

Besides the downhill-specific trails (Free Lunch and Pucker Up), the most technical trails would be Holy Cross and Eagle's Wing. Everything else is medium difficulty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...tem_042612.pdf

This is a good map of the LL trail system (although I don't see the $1.6 million dollar trail).

A couple conventional routes up from the main trailhead are Pet-e-Kes (continue on Pre-Nup if desired) and the Tabegauche double-track. From there, you can pick your own adventure.

Besides the downhill-specific trails (Free Lunch and Pucker Up), the most technical trails would be Holy Cross and Eagle's Wing. Everything else is medium difficulty.
    Thx What is the $1.6 million dollar trail

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ~130 acres of land adjacent to the Lunch Loops area was bought for $1.6 million last year. An extension off of Kid's Meal (next to Monument Road) was the first trail to be built on that new land.

Singletrack Slacker
    We will be out Building on that $1.6 million trail this weekend. If you feel like taking a few hours off the bike, we can always use more help. Freelunch and Pucker up are really the only trails that have large drops and jumps. Everything else is just techy goodness. Hope you have a great time riding the loops.
    I need to ride moooore

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Noticed a new "trail" off of Pre-Nup close to LPR. It looks like it is a social trail because of the Private Property sign at the intersection, but it popped up out of no where and looks "built" as opposed to wore-in over time. Just curious.

On a different subject, I know it has been around for several months, but just wanted to say that the re-route of the old Andy's Loop HAB section is good work.

Tigers love pepper...
    Does it go East? I heard someone has a "private" trail from their house down to pre-nup.

Haven't checked out the Andy's reroute yet, thanks for reminding me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think you're correct that it is a private trail from someone's house. There are some worn in trails further down Pre-Nup that have rehabilition signage now. So they probably closed those social trails and put in the private trail where Pre-Nup butts up against the private property.