Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ride, eat, live
    Nov 2004

going to Steamboat Springs, what trails?

i'm going for the weekend, what are some good close to town trails to ride (within 15 miles). i like technical singletrack riding, prefer not to do 30 mile loops consisting of 28 miles of fire roads and 2 miles of good stuff. i don't mind climbing, but i want to have some fun after the pain. if anyone familiar with denver/golden riding, i tend to prefer rides like dakota ridge, apex, deer creek, matt winters/red rocks, etc. any insight appreciated. thanks
    i'm the man from nantucket

mtbr member

Tigers love pepper...
    I can't offer any suggestions, but have you checked the trail reviews section? There are 8 different trails with reviews for Steamboat. If you haven't already, I'd start there.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...18_100crx.aspx

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Steamboat, while not the high alpine like Summit county or CB, is still in the mountains and I'll take a fairly confidant guess that very little is rideable right now. Call one of the local bike shops or maybe a local will chime in to give you first hand beta, but it's full on mud season in the high country right now.

mtbr member
    The thing you have to remember is Steamboat averages somewhere around 400 inches of snow every year. And based on my trip through the mountains last weekend, I highly doubt that there is anything rideable. If I remember right, some locals told me there isn't much rideable until Memorial Day weekend and then only the lowest stuff.

mtbr member
    The Buffalo Pass area just east and north of Steamboat is the snowiest place in the state on average over the last 50 years.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    steamboat is a no go right now on anything that is worth your time/pedal..It was the 8th snowiest year this year since 1980...so keep your fingers crossed, but dont hold em' to long

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I just got up to Steamboat today (summer internship) and will be here till the middle of August. When do you guys think stuff will be rideable? There doesn't seem to be any snow around town, just high up on the slopes.

Want to vent?
    Few spots rideable now.

Mad Creek - Hot Springs - Red Dirt - Small pieces of Emerald > Lain of pain to the ridge
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I went for a little cruise yesterday and stopped at Howelson Hill. Are these trails open to the public? I ran into another guy who wasn't sure if they were open. Anyone know?

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    I went for a little cruise yesterday and stopped at Howelson Hill. Are these trails open to the public? I ran into another guy who wasn't sure if they were open. Anyone know?
    Yeah, all open to the public, have fun up there.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I used to live in steamboat back in 1998. Check out Mad creek and the red dirt trail awesome and lower elevation.

mtbr member
    I hear that Spring creek is open a ways up but not all the way, and lots of trail on Emerald is open, just wet above the stock pond, on MGM. Lower Bear, above the Hot Springs is open to the top of the climb. Most of the trails around the Mad Creek trailhead are open just avoid the upper muddy trails. From down valley it appears that Valley View would be clear/dry but getting up through the rough rider basin may be difficult.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    So I got a chance to check out a couple trails. Lots of great stuff around here. My roommate got his first mountain bike last weekend so we went and checked out Spring Creek for his first ride. It was clear all the way to the top an a very enjoyable ride for me. My roommate was about ready to die on the climb up though (ended up walking most of the climbs towards the end).

Someone told him about Fish Creek Falls and he keeps bugging me to go. Would that be a bad trail to take him on? I've never ridden or seen the trail, so if anyone can give me some advice that would be great.

Want to vent?
    Fish Creek is way too gnarly for someone on their first mountain bike.

Also you dont (or at least I dont) ride up Fish creek - and I can tell ya from experience today - it's too snowed in up top to come across the divide onto it and ride down. Gonna have to wait on that ride until July I'd say.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz

Also you dont (or at least I dont) ride up Fish creek - and I can tell ya from experience today - it's too snowed in up top to come across the divide onto it and ride down. Gonna have to wait on that ride until July I'd say.
    ^^^ what he said. A newbie mountain biker might have a chance at cleaning most of fish creek trail if they were on a downhill bike, but it is a rowdy hiking trail with serious consequences if you take a spill over the edge.

Photo credit. Dan G.

Tell your friend to get comfortable on his bike and give the trail a month or so to dry out up high. Also, tell him to NEVER ride FCF trail during the middle of the day because there are tons of hikers on the trail. The last thing we need is for the Forest Circus to close the trail to bikers because of user conflict.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Haha wow...I didn't think Fish Creek was that rough. I don't think I would even want to try a trail that rough with my bike.

Anyway, I am going to take him up Mad Creek and take that over to Red Dirt. Hopefully he can handle that, if not I am just going to give up on him.

On another note, how is the Moots factory tour? I might have to take a day off work and head over there (starts at 10 am I guess).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quick question that I've asked here before (which was mostly answered), just seeking confirmation. From the divide to upper falls, isn't fish creek generally tame most of the way? About how far above upper falls does the gnar kick in?

I'll be there in late August and want to do the Rabbit Ears to Mountain View to town route, with a bonus out-and-back from divide to upper falls thrown in if I'm feeling good.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't take a bet on a newbie cleaning FCFalls even on a DH bike.

Marko's pic is just below the upper falls, Above the upper falls the trail is mostly tame, below the upper falls is the spot where that shot was taken. I don't even try to ride it 'cause of the exposure, a short hike down some of the gnar and the trail is more rideable but techincal, and busy with wide eyed hikers in tennis shoes and fanny packs.

But what you are talking about starting at Rabbit Ears and riding Mt View is not the gnar Fish Creek Falls trail, the Mountain View trail turns off FCF up by Long lake and climbs to the top of Mt Werner (akaSboat Ski resort) it's a great high altitude trail that is easily cleaned with a good set of lungs. A fun decent of the ski area bring you to town. I reccommend Pete's to Cathy's to Sunshine if you are tired, or get all of Pete's for a fun loop around the outer edge of SSRC boundary, and then up sunshine and down. I've never ridden down to the falls, then back up to Mt.View. I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort. Mt View is good enough on it's own to fill my climbing cup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    I've never ridden down to the falls, then back up to Mt.View. I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort. Mt View is good enough on it's own to fill my climbing cup.
    Thanks. Will need to step up my fitness first before doing this, but just looking to maximize my singletrack for a long day. Want to see all the sights too - if I remember right Upper Falls is a cool little spot (I hiked it long ago). I don't have the map in front of me, but I think an out-and-back diversion from the divide to upper falls would add maybe 6 or 7 miles of mostly gentle singletrack to the total?

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    have the ever found the lady who fell into Fish Creek Falls????

user-created
    Fish Creek Falls really changed my perception of Steamboat riding.

Want to vent?
    Quote Originally Posted by weldo
    have the ever found the lady who fell into Fish Creek Falls????
    Nope not yet. Tragic stuff.

They tried to slow down the flow of water from the upper lake but no dice.

Figure she is pinned somewhere, but like the news says, it is a recovery now.

Hardcore, in my own way.
    Jun 2008
    Nope not yet. Tragic stuff.

They tried to slow down the flow of water from the upper lake but no dice.

Figure she is pinned somewhere, but like the news says, it is a recovery now.
    Damn - same thing happened at Beaver Creek a year or 2 ago. A woman riding a horse went in - they couldn't find her for a few months. Ended up being only 20 yards away from where she fell. They had divers and everything.

Back to Boat riding - are there any good trails out in/around Stagecoach? A good friend just built a home up there and I would love to go play around there for a bit.
    "You have the talent, To make me feel like dirt."

2008 Trek Fuel EX8

Want to vent?
    Not that I know of in the stagecoach area itself other than forest roads....but up lynx pass for sure.

Stagecoach is only about 10 miles from town as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast