Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Fruita's 18rd trails are directional, officially. Info on new trails and etiquette...

Just a friendly PSA, I'm by no means an authority on the matter - just a dude who rides 18rd on an almost daily basis.

Last night signs were installed on Prime Cut and Kessel Run. Uphill only on Prime Cut, downhill only on Kessel.

If you're visiting the area please stick to these directions:
    Prime Cut - Climbing only
    Kessel Run - Downhill only
    PBR - Downhill only
    MoJoes/Joes - Downhill only

PBR and MoJoes are advanced flow trails with progressive features. Please respect the features (jumps, step downs, and berms) of these trails; do not create new short cuts around them, stop or skid on them. If it is your first time on these trails and you'd like to inspect the features before trying them, please use good judgement and do your inspection on foot - set your bike down next to the trail (tires on the edge of the trail, only handlebars and pedals in the dirt), but out of the way of other riders. Be aware that other riders may be coming through those zones at a high rate of speed - so keep your head on a swivel (and no earphones).

The best ways to gain elevation are (ie the best climbing routes):
    Central: Prime Cut
    East: Down East/Eastern Uppity
    West: Zip-off to Western Zippety

Trails that are not directional include Chutes and Ladders, Zippety, Western Zippety, and Frontside. Please yield to the uphill rider by stepping to the side of the trail whilst keeping your tires on it - acknowledge the rider so they know you're stopping, stop, put your foot down to the outside of the trail and lean your bike over to give them more room.

I don't know if there is an official direction for Zippety - but I WOULD NOT recommend climbing it (going North) - you will be walking a lot, there are much better ways to climb.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Climbing Zippety... that would be hilarious. I wonder if anyone has ever considered/done it?

Oh - and thanks for the PSA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thats outstanding, freaking good news, long overdue. I have come down Kessels only to find a couple of guys training by going up. Kessels is such an obvious down trail. Prime Cut is also the main up trail that everyone uses. This will add some safety and quality to riding 18 rd.

hispanic mechanic
    Good to hear. I'll be returning to Fruita for the FFTF- first time back in 11 years! When I lived in Denver, I'd make it out at least a couple of times a year. With the amount of traffic back then we thought one way trails were a good idea. Can't imagine what it's like now!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Climbing Zippety... that would be hilarious. I wonder if anyone has ever considered/done it?
    Ran into a guy riding up it last fall. Didn't look like he was enjoying himself.

I've ridden up Kessels on a week day when I was the only car in the lot. It's actually a nice easy ride going up.

While it makes sense, 18rd is really lacking in "up" routes. One can only ride up prime (or the road) so many times. It would be nice to have another easy up route right off the road. I've seen sections of an unofficial route pop up from time to time on the east side of the road up to about the half way point. Pretty sure it's just a cow trail that people are starting to ride. I know an up route isn't sexy and fun, but I think it would be nice.

mtbr member
    I was out there last weekend and there were a bunch of people climbing up Kessel, it was totally ridiculous. Thank for the directional signage!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjp View Post
    I was out there last weekend and there were a bunch of people climbing up Kessel, it was totally ridiculous. Thank for the directional signage!
    If it is riders that know the area, then it is crazy. If it is out-of-town riders there for the first time, then I would cut them some slack.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've ridden up Kessel many times, but only early in the morning while the shuttle monkeys are still sleeping off their hangovers. It's actually an enjoyable climb.

I have mixed feelings about directional trails. While it's an obvious necessity on dedicated, designed for the purpose DH trails, and some trails are steep enough that they are directional by default, I'm not sure I'm real gung ho on directional trails. You can argue that a trail flows best one way or another, but OTOH, people calibrate their fun meter in a lot of different ways. Personally, I'd much rather see directional trails be the exception rather than the rule.

All that said, the whole 18rd area gets so much traffic that directional in some places is probably reasonable from a safety point of view.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    You can argue that a trail flows best one way or another, but OTOH, people calibrate their fun meter in a lot of different ways. Personally, I'd much rather see directional trails be the exception rather than the rule.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm not really sure what makes Kessels any more of a "downhill" trail than Prime Cut for example. You could say just about any trail which gains elevation is better going "down". Personally I'd rather ride up Kessels than Prime, I just don't since I know it would be against traffic. Prime Cut is also a blast to go down for that matter.

As far as the safety issue.... If you are worried about running into uphill riders then you are not riding in control. You shouldn't be barreling through blind corners, going so fast that you can't stop in time, etc..... I worry directional trails create a false sense of security that we can ride as fast as possible with no concern for what might be around the next corner. I don't know, feels like overkill to me.

Haven't we all sat back and thought numerous times.... "You know what would make mountain biking better? More rules!" I'm not talking about cutting down trees, modifying trails etc..... We're talking about having to stop and wait 10 seconds for an uphill rider. I think I can count on about one hand the amount if times each season I've had to yield to uphill riders on Kessels. I guess it must be a much bigger problem than I realized.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I'm not really sure what makes Kessels any more of a "downhill" trail than Prime Cut for example. You could say just about any trail which gains elevation is better going "down". Personally I'd rather ride up Kessels than Prime, I just don't since I know it would be against traffic. Prime Cut is also a blast to go down for that matter.

As far as the safety issue.... If you are worried about running into uphill riders then you are not riding in control. You shouldn't be barreling through blind corners, going so fast that you can't stop in time, etc..... I worry directional trails create a false sense of security that we can ride as fast as possible with no concern for what might be around the next corner. I don't know, feels like overkill to me.

Haven't we all sat back and thought numerous times.... "You know what would make mountain biking better? More rules!" I'm not talking about cutting down trees, modifying trails etc..... We're talking about having to stop and wait 10 seconds for an uphill rider. I think I can count on about one hand the amount if times each season I've had to yield to uphill riders on Kessels. I guess it must be a much bigger problem than I realized.
    Is it the rule you are opposed to, you feel something is being taken away from you, or is it the idea that now there's a legit "Downhill" specific trail or two, and out of control heathens are going to spoil things?

"One-way" is not creating more rules, it's trading one rule (yielding for the uphill rider) for another by eliminating the uphill rider from the equation. As for a "false sense of security" - even at a bike park like Trestle or Telluride, when I'm "barreling through blind corners, going so fast.." I still keep an eye out for anything/anyone that might be heading up. Despite the obvious, it happens occasionally that I do run across an errant hiker or curious person traveling upwards. Reckless riders are the exception, not the rule, as are the errant hikers I run across on DH trails.

IMO, its about time that the tide turns a little in favor of riders that enjoy pushing their limits and advancing their skill set in regards to speed, flow and maneuvering. This allows for that to happen in a safe manner. Kudos to Fruita and those that work so hard to make it happen.

I also agree that another uphill route or two is a great idea.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree that in general trails should not be over-controlled with directional signs. I have ridden Prime-Cut both ways and it is a nice down trail however by word of mouth or other means it is used by most to get up to Front Side-Chutes/Ladders/ Joes and more. With the amount of bikes on this trail you would be constantly stopping to move off for uphillers. With most trails flowing downhill here I think the majority will be happy to have a designated up. Kessels is diff. in my mind with most flowing down the banked turns. To go up Kessels during traffic hours is just interrupting the ride for allot of people and IMO it can be dangerous. The receently built PBR is designated down only and it is a great trail with excellent flow and a few blind spots. IMO it works as a down trail. When I ride the Colorado trail[ a 2 way trail ] near Brec, I often move off trail when climbing and riders are coming down and enjoying the flow. Just my opinion.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Is it the rule you are opposed to, you feel something is being taken away from you, or is it the idea that now there's a legit "Downhill" specific trail or two, and out of control heathens are going to spoil things?

"One-way" is not creating more rules, it's trading one rule (yielding for the uphill rider) for another by eliminating the uphill rider from the equation.
    I would be more for signs that post strong suggestions of directional travel rather than "rules". Or even directional travel on weekends and holidays for example.

So if I am out there in the middle of a week day and am the only car in the parking lot I can't be trusted to decide "hey maybe I'll switch things up today and go up Kessel's and down Prime?" I do this a couple times a year probably.

Don't you guys get bored riding the same three trails in the same direction 100 times a season? I guess some of us like some variety. Heck on busy weekend out there you won't find me on Prime, Kessels or Joes at all. I'll likely be heading out vegetarian, down the bottom of chutes to edge loop, edge cutoff, down uppity, zip off, western zippity, etc.

I just don't feel the need for trail nannies legislating how I ride. How about speed limit signs? Maybe some trail monitors to make sure you aren't too slow and ruining faster riders "flow"? Maybe mandatory reflectors and flags on our bikes to keep us safe. Knee and elbow pads for everyone! If we all just wanna ride the same trails in the same direction, lets just buy road bikes and ride in circles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    FINALLY!!! hard to believe it took this long. i wrote a post years ago after riding 18 about the obvious goofiness of all trails having the IMBA mantra yeilding to uphill riders. never had one comment. thought i was gonna get a bunch of shite. this new rule just improved riding out there IMO bigtime
    breezy shade

Tigers love pepper...
    FYI it's not that I'm against it per se or think it is a bad idea.

Honestly, I just feel it's a little overkill and just didn't see it as a big deal. I don't want them getting carried away with directional trails though.

I blame Noah, I know he's just trying to improve his Strava time. Just kidding Noah.

Airborne Flight Crew
    FYI it's not that I'm against it per se or think it is a bad idea.

Honestly, I just feel it's a little overkill and just didn't see it as a big deal. I don't want them getting carried away with directional trails though.

I blame Noah, I know he's just trying to improve his Strava time. Just kidding Noah.
    gothca they're not for "everywhere" for sure.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Singletrack Slacker
    Nobody is going to get ticketed or tared and feathered for going the wrong direction, just please use common sense for choosing the time and season you choose to do it. The need for more uphill routes is something we are looking at now. We are in the process of planing the next 5-10yrs of building on 18rd. So please be patient, we want to do it right. If you want to have input on what happens out there join COPMOBA.
    I need to ride moooore

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckled View Post
    If you want to have input on what happens out there join COPMOBA.
    I am a member actually, not that I actually attend meetings or work days. I swear I will this year! At least they get my donation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As an out-of-towner who rode 18rd for the first time today, I'd say the dedicated up-down is a good idea, but maybe more signage necessary, or mark on the maps. We started uphill on kessel until someone let us know we were in the wrong direction. It wasn't obvious how to get UP the hill.

I think having 1-way trails will help with the trail widening/erosion.
    whatever...

Singletrack Slacker
    I am a member actually, not that I actually attend meetings or work days. I swear I will this year! At least they get my donation.
    Cobi, if you want to hit the next meeting it's always the last Tuesday of the month, next one is at Copper Club in fruita, 6:30
    I need to ride moooore

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    While it makes sense, 18rd is really lacking in "up" routes. One can only ride up prime (or the road) so many times. It would be nice to have another easy up route right off the road. I've seen sections of an unofficial route pop up from time to time on the east side of the road up to about the half way point. Pretty sure it's just a cow trail that people are starting to ride. I know an up route isn't sexy and fun, but I think it would be nice.
    Here you go:
    Down East/Eastern Uppity - access to Chutes and Veg
    Zip-off to Western Zippety - access to everything

or start on Prime Cut and then use the trail that cuts across Kessel (starts just below PBR exit) and then climb the camp road - I do that a lot.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

or start on Prime Cut and then use the trail that cuts across Kessel (starts just below PBR exit) and then climb the camp road - I do that a lot.
    This is my preferred climbing route as well...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well, as a test and to take my wife on a flowy not too tech. trail we rode 18 rd. trails this Sunday. Being Easter vacation for many Colorado schools and a weekend it was jambed as expected. We rode up Prime with many groups some passing us due to being faster. Then down PBR, what can I say pure bliss and no issues, then up Prime again and down Kessels. We did see one couple trying to go up Kessels who were discouraged by the almost steady flow of downhill riders. When we got to the bottom of Kessels we saw the downhill only sign. From a practical view and somewhat aesthetic the trail rides way better down than up and the sign just reinforces common sense IMO. Good job COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Well, as a test and to take my wife on a flowy not too tech. trail we rode 18 rd. trails this Sunday. Being Easter vacation for many Colorado schools and a weekend it was jambed as expected. We rode up Prime with many groups some passing us due to being faster. Then down PBR, what can I say pure bliss and no issues, then up Prime again and down Kessels. We did see one couple trying to go up Kessels who were discouraged by the almost steady flow of downhill riders. When we got to the bottom of Kessels we saw the downhill only sign. ***From a practical view and somewhat aesthetic the trail rides way better down than up and the sign just reinforces common sense IMO.absolutely*** Good job COPMOBA
    common sense finally prevails
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is the West where everyone rebels against authority. If the COPMOBA, the city of GJ, the state of Colorado or the Federal government made a decree that the earth was round and not flat, you'd still get people fighting that it wasn't.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    When we got to the bottom of Kessels we saw the downhill only sign. From a practical view and somewhat aesthetic the trail rides way better down than up and the sign just reinforces common sense IMO. Good job COPMOBA
    Of course it flows better downhill! Please name me one trail that flows better uphill, I'd love to ride it. The argument isn't whether it is better as a downhill or not. That's kind of obvious. It's whether it is such a big problem that we need someone dictating which directions we CAN ride. I ride out there quite a bit and I rarely see anyone doing it.

Does Prime cut flow better going up? Is anyone arguing that?

I think a sign at the bottom suggesting not to ride up it or directional only on weekends/holidays would have been plenty. Same goes with going down prime.

Why does everyone keep saying "Kessel's 'flows' better down."? Duh!
    Last edited by cobi; 04-01-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast