Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eric the Red

Fruita what to ride?

I'm gonna be in Fruita for a couple of days before SSWC, and I was wondering if anyone has any 'must ride' suggestions.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Nope.

Fruita sucks.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Nope.

Fruita sucks.
    This is kinda the way in goes on the Western Slope board. I could suggest a couple rides, but someone else would call me an idiot and say my route sucks, go off on a tangent about bringing too many tourists to the area, then expound the virtues of the Lunch Loops and how much better it is than anything in Fruita. Don't even ask for a recommendation for mexican food!

You could ride at the Kokopelli area, 18rd area, Lunch Loops, or Rabbit Valley - it's all good. Do a search on the boards or stop in a local bike shop.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Tigers love pepper...
    Are you only bringing your SS? What kinda stuff do you want to ride... more XC or technical? How many miles do you want? How much climbing?

PS - I think Fiesta Guadalajara has the best margaritas (top shelf ones, not the regular). And their shrimp enchiladas are great. But hey, thats just me.

mtbr member
    It's unfortunate that the Bestern Slope board is the way it is. I'm awfully fond of Zippety do Dah and Western Zip at 18 road but i'm mostly a XC type fan. You could ride everything 18 road has to offer with the exception of the Edge Loop in one day. Taqueria Guadalajara in Gj gets my vote for mex food.

And Bacon Boy ain't even a western Sloper.

mtbr member
    I have always had a soft spot for Horsetheif.

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    This is kinda the way in goes on the Western Slope board. I could suggest a couple rides, but someone else would call me an idiot and say my route sucks, go off on a tangent about bringing too many tourists to the area, then expound the virtues of the Lunch Loops and how much better it is than anything in Fruita. Don't even ask for a recommendation for mexican food!

You could ride at the Kokopelli area, 18rd area, Lunch Loops, or Rabbit Valley - it's all good. Do a search on the boards or stop in a local bike shop.
    Wow, a voice of reason on the Western Slope board. Whats up with that?

Can't really go too wrong anywhere out here.

BTW Nathy's in Froota has the best breakfast burritos in the valley, and its convenient for everything except LL.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    It's unfortunate that the Bestern Slope board is the way it is.
    Why?
    I think it's funny when folks demand info without even trying to research the info for themselves. If we took it easy on everyone and simply spoon fed all of the vacationers who refuse to imerse themselves into the local communities and visit the shops then we would have twenty threads at the top about the exact same thing and zero stoke or tomfoolery.

Would you rather the MTBR gods change this from the "Western Slope" to something like "Western Colorado Wal-Mart Greeters" board?

Oh, and to the OP..............Search Function. It works like Google only for bike stuff................and Trail Reviews, I even sorted the reviews by nearest town for you.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by edoz
    I was wondering if anyone has any 'must ride' suggestions.
    I would say you 'must ride' a bicycle. Maybe ride your bicycle on some trails.

You could also PM Singletrack, he's probably got a lead on some fat chicks that could be considered 'must rides'.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Why?
    I think it's funny when folks demand info without even trying to research the info for themselves.

Would you rather the MTBR gods change this from the "Western Slope" to something like "Western Colorado Wal-Mart Greeters" board?
    Whaddaya mean??? There is absolutely NO information about what kind of bike / tires / pedals / fork / camelbak / trails are good in Fruita. It's almost like no one else has ever ridden there.

Welcome to the Western Slope. Can I give you a hand with anything else?

slideeasyin2.jpg

user-created
    You could also PM Singletrack, he's probably got a lead on some fat chicks that could be considered 'must rides'.
    My private stash is for locals only.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Why?
    I think it's funny when folks demand info without even trying to research the info for themselves. If we took it easy on everyone and simply spoon fed all of the vacationers who refuse to imerse themselves into the local communities and visit the shops then we would have twenty threads at the top about the exact same thing and zero stoke or tomfoolery.
    This place would SUCK without the tomfoolery IMNSHO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    +1 for Nathy's. $2.50 tacos!

Eric the Red
    OK, maybe I should have been more specific. Yeah, I'm only bringing the ss, I'd like some of that nice flowy singletrack on top of a ridge I see in pictures, I know I'll have to climb for an hour to get there, and I've already looked at some trail reviews here and some trail maps. The colored lines on the trail maps sure looked purdy, I know the MTBR trail reviews for my neck of the woods are pretty crappy and don't really tell you much.
    The 18 road trails look pretty promising, but I figured I might ask some locals for recommendations. The bike shop sites tell me everything is great, but locals might tell you what to hit on limited time. Dare I even ask which bike shop you guys favor?

P.S. this reminds me of the responses to all the "Hey guys, I"m new how do I build a frame?" threads on the framebuilders forum. I guess I kinda asked for it

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    OK, maybe I should have been more specific. Yeah, I'm only bringing the ss, I'd like some of that nice flowy singletrack on top of a ridge I see in pictures, I know I'll have to climb for an hour to get there
    Dude. The climb to the top of Joe's or Zippety is like 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    18rd sounds like the spot you are looking for. All the trails there are a blast. The crew at Over the Edge have always been super nice and helpful to me. Ask Tater where the best spot for grub is.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    OK, maybe I should have been more specific. Yeah, I'm only bringing the ss, I'd like some of that nice flowy singletrack on top of a ridge I see in pictures, I know I'll have to climb for an hour to get there, and I've already looked at some trail reviews here and some trail maps. The colored lines on the trail maps sure looked purdy, I know the MTBR trail reviews for my neck of the woods are pretty crappy and don't really tell you much.
    The 18 road trails look pretty promising, but I figured I might ask some locals for recommendations. The bike shop sites tell me everything is great, but locals might tell you what to hit on limited time. Dare I even ask which bike shop you guys favor?

P.S. this reminds me of the responses to all the "Hey guys, I"m new how do I build a frame?" threads on the framebuilders forum. I guess I kinda asked for it
    Go to OTE. Talk to Noah, Timiny, et al. They're good folks and they'll hook you up.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Tigers love pepper...
    OK, maybe I should have been more specific. Yeah, I'm only bringing the ss, I'd like some of that nice flowy singletrack on top of a ridge I see in pictures, I know I'll have to climb for an hour to get there, and I've already looked at some trail reviews here and some trail maps.
    Which pictures are you referring to?

Do you want views/ridges like this? (Fruita/18rd)
    http://www.wheeler1968.com/images/IMG00047.jpg

Or like this? (Loma/Kokopelli Trails)
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/...e9bb38.jpg?v=0

By all means stop into an LBS and ask around but it sounds to me as if 18rd is what you're talking about.

Prime Cut/Joe's/Lower Kessel
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/fruita/prime.html

Do the above ride, and if you like it..... do Chutes or Zippity, if it's not to your liking, jump back into the car and head 25 minutes or so back through town to Loma and ride Mary's/Horesthief Bench (or Steve's, Lions, Mack, Troy Built or some combination).

Colo RiverRat
    i'll put a big second on the PrimeCut/Joe's/Lower Kessel..... no gruel here, just all smiles when you get to back to the parking lot. it makes you feel like you are 10 years old again
    Klingon

Ride Hard, Die Free

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Which pictures are you referring to?

Do you want views/ridges like this? (Fruita/18rd)
    http://www.wheeler1968.com/images/IMG00047.jpg

By all means stop into an LBS and ask around but it sounds to me as if 18rd is what you're talking about.

Prime Cut/Joe's/Lower Kessel
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/fruita/prime.html

That's what I'm talking about, right there. I'll be heading straight for the 18rd trails, and then Nathy's. If any of you see a guy on a green 29er on the trail looking for something, it'll be me, and I'll be looking for my lungs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose
    18rd sounds like the spot you are looking for. All the trails there are a blast. The crew at Over the Edge have always been super nice and helpful to me. Ask Tater where the best spot for grub is.

Uhhhhh........................I like Tater and all, known him for years.....but damn man! LOL!!
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDesertRider
    i'll put a big second on the PrimeCut/Joe's/Lower Kessel..... no gruel here, just all smiles when you get to back to the parking lot. it makes you feel like you are 10 years old again
    Good choice. Great place to start.
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com

banned
    I'm gonna be in Fruita for a few days this month,but I'll do my own research on trails and not ask locals any " Silly" questions about what trails to ride.!

Tigers love pepper...
    That's what I'm talking about, right there. I'll be heading straight for the 18rd trails, and then Nathy's. If any of you see a guy on a green 29er on the trail looking for something, it'll be me, and I'll be looking for my lungs.
    Have fun. Your lungs will probably be just fine, Prime/Joe's is not a tough climb (and I'm a Clyde). I think that entire loop took like 90 minutes max? It's less than 600 feet of climbing.

If you have time and need more miles (about 8)..... Once you get to the bottom of the wash on Lower Kessels, hang a right (instead of going left back to the lot) and head up western zippity and then down Zippity Do Dah.
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/fruita/zipity.html

Here's some previews.... might help you decide if you only have time for one.
    Joe's Ridge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kj4rVTz3Kg
    Zippity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfxUyjEwCQ

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by gjmtb
    Good choice. Great place to start.
    GJMTB! I love your website (obviously... since I'm linking to it). The maps and descriptions are wonderful. Thanks for the hard work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast