Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2006 Yeti AS-X

Fruita Sept 23 - 29

Tentatively planning to head to Fruita from 9/23 - 9/29 and Accuweather has it raining the whole week. Of course, at around 10 days away, I am sure that is to be taken with a grain of salt.

What are your all's opinion of Accuweather forecasts? Makes it rough to decide if it is worth going 850 miles if the trails aren't going to be rideable all week.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    Accuweather isn't always accu, especially that far out.

Fruita only averages 8" of rain per entire year, so it's hard to imagine it raining there for a full week.

That said, it is a big risk if you're going that far. Did you check the forecast for Moab? It's less than 90 min from Fruita, so if you get rained out at one location, maybe you could hit the other.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Moab has it cloudy from Sun - Wed. Rain on Thur. Sunny on Fri. I do plan to hit up Moab as part of the trip - I was also hoping to try 401 trail at Crested Butte on the way back home as well - saw that trail a few days ago and thought it might be interesting.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Speaking, just checked Fruita, they have it cloudy from Sun - Tues now with rain Wed - Sat so it did change for the better just in 12 hours -- LOL.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Weather forecasts more than four or five days out are a total crap shoot. I wouldn't sweat anything sooner than that.

Tigers love pepper...
    Saw your Facebook message but I will reply here. In my limited years of riding here I have rarely been rained out of riding and almost certainly not multiple days in a row.

Usually we get 20 minutes of rain and everyone is out riding later the same day. I wouldn't sweat it.

FYI, I am in training the whole week but I should be done around 3 each day so I Definately want to get an afternoon ride or two in with you. But I had been hoping to sneak a day off which won't be possible now.

Are you carpooling with that guy or coming alone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As mentioned the rains this time of year are very scattered and brief. For as dry as it has been, whatever precipitation will be soaked up by the ground in no time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Plan your trip how you want... it's not going to rain enough to make a difference.

(and if it does, then good... we need it)

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Thanks all. Will do.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Saw your Facebook message but I will reply here. In my limited years of riding here I have rarely been rained out of riding and almost certainly not multiple days in a row.

Usually we get 20 minutes of rain and everyone is out riding later the same day. I wouldn't sweat it.

FYI, I am in training the whole week but I should be done around 3 each day so I Definately want to get an afternoon ride or two in with you. But I had been hoping to sneak a day off which won't be possible now.

Are you carpooling with that guy or coming alone?
    I am driving solo, the other guy wants to ride down with the Smithville crew on Monday so he wont get into town until wee hours Tuesday morning -- later than I wish to get there.

I am thinking of trying out the 401 trail at Crested Butte Saturday on the way home - brought some cold weather riding gear just in case as its around 9K elevation at the TH and 11K at the top give or take so I imagine it's probably nippy up there.

Just let me know when you want to ride and I'll be there...always look forward to riding with you all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    And if it does rain just skip the 18 rd stuff (it can form clay/nasty mud) until it can dry out for a day. The rest of the area is mostly sand & rock and soaks up rain well. Rabbit Valley is great after some rain.

If you're using up precious vacation time (and can cancel it last minute) watch the forecast closely, 5 years ago Accuweather said 6" of snow in October for Fruita, and it actually happened, thankfully I was able to cancel the time off at the last minute.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'll be there during the same time. The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd my wife and some friends are taking the trek dirt series women's clinic in Fruita. Husbands & i will be riding around the area during that time. Later in the week we're going to head to Moab. I've been up there before in my experience is that it might rain occasionally throughout today but the trails remain rideable & the rain does not last long.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2006 Yeti AS-X
    They put rain back in Mon to wed. Like said above as long as I can ride that is my biggest concern.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Here is the copy and pasted NOAA atmospheric scientist weather discussion for this weekend and next for Fruita. Currently, it sounds like there is a chance of rain on Mon/Tues and that's about it. Also sounds like this could all change between now and then as there are a lot of variables incoming about that same time. Like it was stated before- this time of year, a little moisture makes the riding good. A lot of moisture (1/4"-1/2" or so) makes the riding sloppy for a day, maybe, and then the trails are epic! We are doing some trail work on Kessel Run, Sunday so that trail should be especially good a little later in the week after some moisture.

Flow aloft becomes more westerly on Saturday which should lessen the
    amount of smoke advected in from wildfires across Idaho. Will drop the
    mention of haze for Saturday as a result.

Models continue to struggle with handling the inland progression of
    the cut-off low currently spinning well off the Pacific northwest
    coast....but appear to be in a little better agreement in the 12z
    runs. The cut-off low gets pushed into the vicinity of the western
    Great Basin by Monday morning as a large trough develops in the Gulf
    of Alaska. Low then moves across eastern Utah/western Colorado about Tuesday as an open
    but weakening wave as it fights through the longwave ridge. Confidence
    remains below average...but it does appear that some moisture will
    get pulled northward ahead of it for at least some chance of
    showers Monday and Tuesday. Enough moisture may even be present
    for a chance of showers over the San Juan Mountains Sunday afternoon.

West to southwest surface winds pick up a notch this weekend as the low
    eventually moves inland.

Superhero in training
    I'll be out there Saturday, rain or shine!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

fruita rain

we flew in from boston on Sept 11 to rainy GJ. it was recommended we try Loma area as it handles rain better. Moore's loop and horsethief bench trails were excellent! If you need a bike shop try The Bike SHop in GJ - they were incredibly helpful. Also, another reply suggested moab for drier conditions - we rode the Whole Enchilada and it was one of the best day rides ever!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KVride View Post
    If you need a bike shop try The Bike SHop in GJ - they were incredibly helpful.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Well, my boss was nice enough to give me today off so I am going to kick off this party one day earlier! Doing my last minute stuff right now (packing clothes, clearing data off my computer to make room for pics and videos, doing the going to Fruita/Moab dance!...LOL).

Git R Done!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'm leaving tonight-- see you out there saturday! keepeyes out for a big maroon ford econoline

wannabee

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    i'm leaving tonight-- see you out there saturday! keepeyes out for a big maroon ford econoline
    I will do. I am going to stop for the night around Denver and take off early hope to get in town around noon or so. I plan to sleep in a bit, had two nights of insomnia this week and I am running on fumes..it is a long butt drive across Kansas I tell you what. It is 7pm cst and i just got into Burlington, CO..

Tigers love pepper...
    Told you not to sweat the weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No doubt!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2006 Yeti AS-X
    When I look at a forecast, I tend to think Missouri where 30% on a day off usually means 100 percent.lol.

Anyways, I did see 5 raindrops in Loma on the way to Steves loop. Lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Fruita was so good today! Had a blast! Hero dirt for sure
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast