Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bite Me.

Fruita Questions????

Hi - I have a few questions about Fruita. I've heard all the trails there are lame. Is this true? Also, I plan on pulling a Burley behind my fully rigid SS 29er so my 3 month old son can ride along. Would Moore Fun be a good ride for this? As for the weather - does it get hot there when the weather is hot? Finally, when it rains, do your trails get very wet? Thanks so much for your help.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thread Terrorist
    Lame? Hell no. Is this a joke?

There are 3 area's you can ride
    1. Loma / koko area
    2. Road 18
    3. Grand Junction Lunch Loops

As for Burley riding, uhm.... that may be a difficult one to answer. You could do most of Mary's Loop. More fun is tight single track with lots of rocks.

Yes, it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Best times are Sept-Nov and March-May.

It doesn't rain much in Fruita (it is a desert), but when it does the clay/mud can get bad, really bad in a hurry.

We pilgramage to Fruita (Road 18) about 4 times a year from Denver. Its fun and very worth it. Some of the best trails around. Built by mtn bikers for mtn bikers if that gives you any indication.

Bite Me.
    Cool - thanks! Maybe I should go back to 18 Road with the Burley then. The only problem is those trails are too narrow. I usually just move those offending rocks out of the way and try to widen the trails so they are easier for people. But some guy yelled at me the last time I did that! What kind of crazy nut makes those trails so narrow? It's not very fun or safe and that guy was really angry.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude. Fruita sucks. Go to Green River. It's the new Fruita.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Frikkin' n00B.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude. Fruita sucks. Go to Green River. It's the new Fruita.

Awesome - do the people get mad at you there if you moved those annoying rocks? Also I have heard of a place called the San Rafael Swell - who was San Rafael and what exactly is swollen?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Also I have heard of a place called the San Rafael Swell - who was San Rafael and what exactly is swollen?
    If you have to ask, you aren't prepared to know.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag
    If you have to ask, you aren't prepared to know.
    Amen to THAT!

Fruita isn't lame, it's this thread that's getting lame. Moving rocks & buggers. SHEESH!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

There are 3 area's you can ride
    1. Loma / koko area
    2. Road 18
    3. Grand Junction Lunch Loops

As for Burley riding, uhm.... that may be a difficult one to answer. You could do most of Mary's Loop. More fun is tight single track with lots of rocks.

Yes, it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Best times are Sept-Nov and March-May.

It doesn't rain much in Fruita (it is a desert), but when it does the clay/mud can get bad, really bad in a hurry.

We pilgramage to Fruita (Road 18) about 4 times a year from Denver. Its fun and very worth it. Some of the best trails around. Built by mtn bikers for mtn bikers if that gives you any indication.
    Funniest post so far ^^

I have a question. I'll be there in two weeks and will be planning on riding my drop bar fixie out at Munch Loops, will I be able to climb up Holy Cross? I'll be riding around 2 in the afternoon 'cause I figure it won't be that hot yet, just in case any of you want to show me your secret spots.

oh, thanks in advance.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Well Molly's nipple is a bit swollen. But that ain't nothing compared to the Black Box.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Funniest post so far ^^

I have a question. I'll be there in two weeks and will be planning on riding my drop bar fixie out at Munch Loops, will I be able to climb up Holy Cross?
    Dude - a fixie is the PERFECT bike for climbing Holy Cross. And I have to say... Holy Cross is, bar none, one of the BEST technical climbs on the planet.

mtbr member
    .....I'll be riding around 2 in the afternoon 'cause I figure it won't be that hot yet.....
    Errrr....by two o'clock it will most likely be in the high 90's, unless there is a cold front over us...don't know where your coming from, but that's pretty hot. When I rode today, I got back at about noon...it was about 92 at my house, in Fruita. Generally, it only gets warmer through August.
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitaGuy
    Errrr....by two o'clock it will most likely be in the high 90's, unless there is a cold front over us...don't know where your coming from, but that's pretty hot. When I rode today, I got back at about noon...it was about 92 at my house, in Fruita. Generally, it only gets warmer through August.
    ^^ second funniest post ^^

P.S. even if I'd never been to the desert I would know how hot it would be in mid July by 2 pm.
    -Sage Francis

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitaGuy
    Errrr....by two o'clock it will most likely be in the high 90's, unless there is a cold front over us...don't know where your coming from, but that's pretty hot.
    High 90's is nothing in Fruita.

Remember - it's a DRY heat.

Bite Me.
    Do you need to be a Christian to ride Holy Cross or can pagans ride it too? Also, where's a good place to camp for free that has showers and isn't more than 100 yards from the trail head?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Do you need to be a Christian to ride Holy Cross or can pagans ride it too? Also, where's a good place to camp for free that has showers and isn't more than 100 yards from the trail head?
    There's a pretty nice cattle pond up at 18-Road you could "shower" in... and it's right next to Prime Cut.

And you aren't really a pagan... the Christians killed all of them a LONG time ago.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Do you need to be a Christian to ride Holy Cross or can pagans ride it too?
    No Pagans allowed, I already checked with the local Temple. They informed me that I could, however, shred the trail on my fixie if I covered up my tattoos and "donated" 10% of the gross value of my bike prior to intended shredding.
    -Sage Francis

Tigers love pepper...
    Also, where's a good place to camp for free that has showers and isn't more than 100 yards from the trail head?
    You can camp anywhere actually but you'll have to clear out that pesky dark looking soil to make a nice comfy area for your tent.

Also do not cut down tamarisk or russian olives for firewood, they are protected species in Colorado.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    No Pagans allowed, I already checked with the local Temple. They informed me that I could, however, shred the trail on my fixie if I covered up my tattoos and "donated" 10% of the gross value of my bike prior to intended shredding.

thats funny shiat....just dont plan on having a post ride drink afterwards, unless you bend over in a seductive fashion

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldo
    .just dont plan on having a post ride drink afterwards, unless you bend over in a seductive fashion
    Thanks for the tip! Actually, this brings up another question - I'm looking for a good restaurant in the Fruita GJ area that serves free food and beer and doesn't mind if I bathe in the restroom sink - any tips? Also, I'm a tattooed goth transexual lesbian on a fully rigid 69er fixie with drop bars - any good nightclub spots I should check out? Is Palisade really the new Sonoma? Thnx for all the great replies!

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the tip! Actually, this brings up another question - I'm looking for a good restaurant in the Fruita GJ area that serves free food and beer and doesn't mind if I bathe in the restroom sink - any tips? Also, I'm a tattooed goth transexual lesbian on a fully rigid 69er fixie with drop bars - any good nightclub spots I should check out? Is Palisade really the new Sonoma? Thnx for all the great replies!
    you should try the Vodka Bar in Palisade...swanky locals, with plenty of free jollies

Thread Terrorist
    Starvin' Marvin's at the Fruita exit. You can eat free food in isle's 4 and 5, camera angles are great. As for the beer, just pick one up in the refridgerated section and drink'er down in the above mentioned isles. You can gas up for free, just change your plates when you take off.

Bite Me.
    Wow - you guys are so helpful. I can't wait for my big trip in the middle of August! Just one final thing so I don't look like a total moron - is it pronounced "Froo-Eat-A" or "Froo-It-A"? I've heard it pronunciated both ways.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wow - you guys are so helpful. I can't wait for my big trip in the middle of August! Just one final thing so I don't look like a total moron - is it pronounced "Froo-Eat-A" or "Froo-It-A"? I've heard it pronunciated both ways.
    It's actually Welsh. It's pronounced "Ahm-uh-fuk-stik"... I know it doesn't look like it should... but that's how it is.

mtbr member
    Best post I've seen in a long time! I am laughing my ass off. I guess I should be helpful and add that if it rains, the trails will get wet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast