Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    somehow still alive

Fruita, Oct 12-14

I'm heading to Fruita Oct 12-14 with some buddies for a couple days of riding.

What are some favorite trails?
    Favorite bars/restaurants?
    "Must ride" sections?

Thanks!
    Not what you think.

My videos

Bite Me.
    There are two stickies at the top of the forum page that you should review first. Here's a link to some great trail descriptions. The Riders -- gjmountainbiking.com
    After doing your homework, if you have specific questions feel free to ask.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

somehow still alive
    Oh, thanks! I posted it from my phone and didn't see those.
    Not what you think.

My videos

2006 Yeti AS-X
    What are some favorite trails?

4 main trail systems in the Fruita area that I know of.

Rabbit Valley - Good for when it rains.
    Kokipelli (Loma) - Horsethief Bench, Steve's Loop
    18 Road (Fruita) - Joe's Ridge, Zippity Doo Dah, and the new PBR
    Lunch Loops (Grand Junction) - The Ribbon (shuttle if you can), then down Holy Cross.

In Fruita - Suds Bros Brewery
    In Grand Junction - Kannah Creek Brewery or Rockslide Brewery (Kannah is the best IMHO).

"Must ride" sections?

The Ribbon is an awesome trail if you can get a shuttle - it is a loooong ride up the road to the top of the trailhead so you can plunk $20 for a shuttle from one of the bike shops (can't remember which one does it off hand - I usually have a friend so we shuttle ourselves). Once you are at bottom of Ribbon, you hike the bike up 400 or so feet of rocky terrain and then head down the road for about 1/4 mile to the entrance to Prenup trail which takes you to Holy Cross. It is a good 3 - 4 hour ride to the parking lot if you only do the Ribbon and Holy Cross. There are more riding options available so you can suit to your desires.

The only caveat is if it has been raining (we had 3 days of rain the last week of September), I would skip the Ribbon due to the bentonite that is prevalant on the hike a bike part and lower parts of the trail. We found this out the hard way...everything was dry except the hike a bike part out of the Ribbon trail to the road and man that stuff was nasty. If we had known that, probably would have skipped doing the Ribbon.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

somehow still alive
    Awesome! Thanks so much mate!
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post

In Fruita - Suds Bros Brewery
    In Grand Junction - Kannah Creek Brewery or Rockslide Brewery (Kannah is the best IMHO).
    no shortage of quality restaurants in grand junction. I have to second Kannah though...good food, good beer, friendly waitstaff and had the best beer out of the 3 in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    18 Road: Kessels, Prime Cut, PBR, Zippity-do-dah, Chutes & Ladders

Kokopelli: Favorite trail in all of Fruita was the Horsethief Bench/Steve's Loop trail, Mary's Loop, Rustlers Loop

Lunch Loops: Holy Cross, Free Lunch, Gunny Loop....never made it to The Ribbon

Best food I had all week in town was at The Hot Tomato!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rain showers in the forecast for Friday afternoon/night should help with the dust & sand.
    Also avoid 18 Rd area for a day if it rains. The Mary's loop area should be fine as well as Rabbit Valley/Western Rim (some spots on Western Rim may get to thick clay mud). By Saturday afternoon the weather looks to improve.

Fruita breakfast = Camilla's Cafe, right next to Over the Edge bikes, is great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Although I probably wouldn't recommend Palisade Rim to a visitor, but it is a great trail. I haven't been on the upper loop in a while, but the lower loop is a great lunch hour ride. The climb might be a bit frustrating if you're not on your game, but the descent will make you feel like a superhero (tons of doable tricky sections). Some really awesome views as well.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    Although I probably wouldn't recommend Palisade Rim to a visitor, but it is a great trail. I haven't been on the upper loop in a while, but the lower loop is a great lunch hour ride. The climb might be a bit frustrating if you're not on your game, but the descent will make you feel like a superhero (tons of doable tricky sections). Some really awesome views as well.
    I'm not too worried about the climbs... I'll probably have the toughest time with climbs.. (DH tires 26x2.5, very heavy and lots of rolling resistance makes climbs brutal), but I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment.. So climbs should be okay.

We're leaving Denver after the last guy escapes work.. Should arrive around 2100-2200.. How do the clouds look over there now?
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It was raining at the airport pretty good Friday morning. Rain here is so spotty therefore who knows about what it did at the trailheads.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    Rain showers in the forecast for Friday afternoon/night should help with the dust & sand.
    Also avoid 18 Rd area for a day if it rains. The Mary's loop area should be fine as well as Rabbit Valley/Western Rim (some spots on Western Rim may get to thick clay mud). By Saturday afternoon the weather looks to improve.

Fruita breakfast = Camilla's Cafe, right next to Over the Edge bikes, is great.
    If in doubt, call OTE bike shop in Fruita to get a trail report - they are very good at giving trail conditions - the last week of september I was in town and rain on mon, tues, and wed. They had so much dryness that you could ride any of the trails about 2 hours after the rain ended. But again, check before you ride.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm heading down to Fruita tomorrow (Sunday) from Crested Butte.

Snowy day today, I thought that Fruita/Junction would give some nice warmth. Looking forward to it. Haven't ridden there since this time last year.

somehow still alive
    FREAKIN AWESOME TRIP!!!!

I dropped the entrance to Horsethief Bench.... shoulda stayed right and I would've made it. but ended up on my face..

I'll post videos when I find my GoPro cable.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    If in doubt, call OTE bike shop in Fruita to get a trail report - they are very good at giving trail conditions .
    OTE is a great shop, but I have to disagree with this... I'm guessing they were trying to protect the trails this weekend by telling us Friday afternoon that the Loma area trails would be unrideable for 24 hours after the rain. Against their advice (and since I had ridden them when it rained before), we went on Friday afternoon (around 4:30 or so) and headed out on Mary's... the trails were perfect with hardly a mud puddle.

somehow still alive
    I didn't arrive till 2130 on friday night.. so no friday riding, but saturday did the Kokapelli trails, sunday did 18rd.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    OTE is a great shop, but I have to disagree with this... I'm guessing they were trying to protect the trails this weekend by telling us Friday afternoon that the Loma area trails would be unrideable for 24 hours after the rain. Against their advice (and since I had ridden them when it rained before), we went on Friday afternoon (around 4:30 or so) and headed out on Mary's... the trails were perfect with hardly a mud puddle.
    Saturday was good for the Lunch Loops and Kokopelli areas.
    I went out to 18 rd on Sunday, and it was still damp in areas, so it might have been good to stay away from 18 rd on Saturday.

18 rd was crazy busy on Sunday (probably the whole weekend). I've never seen it that busy. Might have been a riding skills camp or something.

somehow still alive
    The camping area at 18rd was packed! But I didn't see many people on the trails... But we went in the morning and were on the road back to Denver by 1145..

Kokopelli on Saturday was awesome
    Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    bummer.. vimeo won't let me upload more than a few videos a week.. working on getting all videos on facebook now..

if you wanna see them. facebook.com/therealIanMcQueen
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am seriously impressed with anyone who can clean the Horsethief staircase! Man, i endoed once there, never again. Just hoofing my 29er back up it wore me out.

Thanks for the recommendation for Kannah Creek Brewing. I had dinner there Sunday and Monday. They did a double dry hopped cask IPA for Firkin Monday. Awesome.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ......wish I would have done a little more home work on "Moore Fun" trail out at Loma/Kokopelli yesterday. Had great fun on Mary's loop/ Rustlers/Wrangler then decided I wanted challenged a bit more so went for Moore Fun.....bad decision!!... got thrashed... eventually got through it in one piece but that piece is now uglier that even, those rocks ate me up..... parts of my hide are still out there somewhere. I need a bit more talent for that one but would do it again in a heartbeat.
    This is my first trip to Fruita-GJ for MTB riding and road riding as well....wow! this place is something special indeed. Those of you that get to ride regularly are very blessed.
    Bill J..

somehow still alive
    Sounds like I'll have to go back out in a few weeks to do Moore Fun.

I love the tech trails
    Not what you think.

My videos

somehow still alive
    Horsethief entrance... lemme know if this works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=115714411917480
    Not what you think.

My videos

Paste eater
    Eat at the Hot Tomato when in Fruita. The new Bew Pub is average at best.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    Horsethief entrance... lemme know if this works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=115714411917480
    Moar speed! Pull up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast