mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fruita/Grand junction trip

Heading down to area on feb 28 and staying until march 3, i know the 16 road and Mack ridge area pretty good, any other area that should not be missed, thinking about the palisades trail, and have never been able to figure out grand junction area. Thanks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You *have* to figure out the GJ area. Lunch Loops is (arguably) the best part of the Grand Valley.

Tigers love pepper...
    Skip Palisade and go to the Lunch Loops (Tabeguache). No brainier.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    +1 on Cobi's recommendation. Lunch loops are awesome.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    +1 on Cobi's recommendation. Lunch loops are awesome.
    +2 Lunch loops are my favorite area in the Grand Valley and right up there on the all time list. P.S. - It's 18 Rd and that's personally my least favorite of the big 3 Grad Valley ride spots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Skip Palisade and go to the Lunch Loops (Tabeguache). No brainier.
    You would want to skip Palisade due to the potential snowpack on the Palisade area trails during your early March timeframe or if you only had one or two days of riding. Otherwise for a four day trip to the GJ area, I would recommend at least one Palisade, Grand Mesa, or Moab ride.

Tigers love pepper...
    Not to bag on Palisade, just if you haven't ridden lunch loops yet, do that first. Lots of great ride options in a easily accessible area.

I've only done 2 Palisade rides, steep hike a bike going up in sections. Trails can be hard to locate/access for first timers.

Western Rim out at Rabbit Valley is also a great XC loop. I still haven't gotten around to riding the other stuff out there like Zion Curtain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I still haven't gotten around to riding the other stuff out there like Zion Curtain.
    Go ride Zion Curtain when the weather permits. Yeah it takes a little longer to get out there and it is slightly more difficult to find, but it is a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Have you already found your lodging for your trip? We can help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not to threadjack or anything but.......

What's dry in Fruita/GJ area these days? THinking of heading that way next weekend with the bikes since the snow sucks here. Don't think there's any snow in our forecast either.

How are Lunch Loops? 18 rd? ect. Everything dry or spotty?

Thanks for any info...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No 18 Road love from the Fruita regulars eh? For pure "fun factor", it's a pretty cool place. Not many other places I go that have flowy trails that go on and on and on.... That being said, Kokopelli is my favorite area out there. I love that it has some of everything, including awesome scenery. I've only been to Lunch Loops once and that was immediately after a 14 hour drive from SoCal. I had a great time but it was my least favorite day of riding out there. I'm sure the drive didn't help. We definitely plan on checking out The Ribbon Trail this next trip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Not to threadjack or anything but.......

What's dry in Fruita/GJ area these days? THinking of heading that way next weekend with the bikes since the snow sucks here. Don't think there's any snow in our forecast either.

How are Lunch Loops? 18 rd? ect. Everything dry or spotty?

Thanks for any info...
    Lunch Loops trails are snow-covered. The snow is hard-packed and gives pretty good traction and it's been below freezing so there is nearly zero slop. The riding is not too bad - even without a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcollins View Post
    Lunch Loops trails are snow-covered. The snow is hard-packed and gives pretty good traction and it's been below freezing so there is nearly zero slop. The riding is not too bad - even without a fat bike.
    Thanks, those trails are mostly on a north facing slope right? Seems like 18 rd might have a little less snowcover being south facing. Am I right or am I right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Thanks, those trails are mostly on a north facing slope right? Seems like 18 rd might have a little less snowcover being south facing. Am I right or am I right?
    They are generally north facing. I haven't looked at 18rd this winter.

mtbr member
    Literally every trail is under snow right now. Fortunately lots are very hard packed and rideable, some aren't.

Personally I love Lunch Loops AND 18 Road. I just don't make it out to 18 rd much because it's a 40+ min drive and I can get to LL, Loma, Palisade, and almost Rabbit Valley in less time.

Tigers love pepper...
    I love 18rd. Just depends on what I'm in the mood to ride. After getting beat up at the Lunch Loops during the week its nice to go "veg out" and take an easy spin out at 18rd on the weekend. I actually ride Loma the least of the three probably.