Thread: Fruita/GJ trip

mtbr member

Fruita/GJ trip

Got a bunch of guys from the east heading to Moab next week and we're gonna hit up Fruita or GJ one day. Some of the guys have had bad experiences riding Fruita ( not sure what they rode) and are puttin' the pressure on to ride something "good."

we like the more technical stuff, so i was eyein' up the Lunch Loop stuff, but it looks like there's not much mileage there.

i rode the bookcliff stuff around 10 years ago and heard there was some technical stuff up behind the main stuff (ie..zippity..chutes) but for some reason thought it might be off limits now.

also rode some of the kokopelli trails but for some reason i'm drawing a blank on that stuff.

anyway... i tried searching this forum but i'm running out of time. can someone make some recommendations?

oh... i hate to say we're experts, as there's always way better riders then us, but we're all good strong riders and use to the rocks of good ol' PA.

thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Faves:

Lunch Loops: Shuttle to the top of Ribbon (Grassroots cycles will do this). Ribbon up to free lunch to pucker up.
    18 Road: Joe's, Zippity, Chutes
    Kokopelli: I have only done Moore Fun to horsethief/marys.

Tigers love pepper...
    Lunch loops. There is plenty of mileage there for a day. Gunny loop, holy cross, eagles, ribbon, free lunch, pucker up, etc... Not to mention Butterknife! you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Lunch loops. There is plenty of mileage there for a day. Gunny loop, holy cross, eagles, ribbon, free lunch, pucker up, etc... Not to mention Butterknife! you won't be disappointed.
    Ride mack ridge has a little bit of everything can ride 40-50 miles there easy.

mtbr member
    thanks guys. i'll try to talk the guys into a little lunch. however not seeing mack ridge or butterknife on the map i found. are these trails all marked?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zzero View Post
    thanks guys. i'll try to talk the guys into a little lunch. however not seeing mack ridge or butterknife on the map i found. are these trails all marked?
    Mack ridge is the kokopelly trails area, marys loop,moore fun, horse theifs bench, lions loop,rustlers loop are to name just a few, the higher up trails are more technical as the lower are fast and smooth. Nothing that is super technical but a great mix. Its also right of the highway so really easy to get to.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I would have to disagree with the 'Nothing Super Technical' comment about the Kokopelli trailhead loops. Moore Fun is the definition of super technical. The Kokopelli trails are great, you can't go wrong. If you are only looking for technical riding, 18 road is probably not the spot to go. It is amazingly fun and fast though with some of the most flowy steep stuff you will ever see (Zippity Do Dah). If you are looking for rocks and more rocks to maneuver around head to the Lunch Loops. Shuttling the ribbon is cool, but not necessary. It's not technical, just a fast decent on slick rock. I'm bored at work so I'm going to go into detail on my favorite rides and ride them in my head since I've moved away and miss it all dearly.

Lunch Loops:
    Park at the bottom off of monument road. Head up the Tabaguache, after a 1/4 mile or so take a right onto Pet-a-Kes, ride this up. Stay on the trail until you reach a sign that says eagles wing to the right, go left here. Take a right onto the double track. You are back on the Tabaguache again. Ride up to a big rock in the middle of an open dirt area where Holy Cross starts. Go down Holy Cross for just a little bit and take your right onto the Cutoff. When you get to the top at the road, get on the trail that leads you to Eagles Wing and Free Lunch. Ride up to Free Lunch and take that down. You will end up at that big rock where Holy Cross started. This time do all of Holy Cross and then work your way back to the parking lot any way you want. If that is not enough you can add in the Gunny Loop or Butterknife at the very top by the road. Plenty of riding to make you dog ass tired.

Kokopelli:
    I would drive past the main parking lot and take a left up the gravel hill and park at the Moore Fun Trail Head. Ride down the road to Mary's Loop. Take Mary's Loop to Horsethief. Ride Horsethief clockwise. Climb back out to Mary's and continue on to Lion's Loop. Ride Lion's Loop up to Mack's Ridge. Ride Mack's ridge down to Moore Fun. Moore Fun back to the Car. This was always enough to woop my ass.

Rabbit Valley: Ride Wester Rim or Zion Curtain or Overlook/West Water Mesa. Get a map to ride one of these trails or a combo of a couple, big back country stuff, may not see other people out there. Could be sandy but sweet stuff and on the way to or from Moab.

18 Road: Ride it all if you want, but you access all the downhill from riding up Prime Cut. Don't ride up Zippity Do Dah or Joe's Ridge. Chutes and Ladders is ok, I would ride this last if you still have energy. Same with western zippity, it's fun but if you are only there for a day I would skip it.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

Tigers love pepper...
    Butterknife starts higher up little park road at the "Third Flats trailhead". Google should bring up gps tracks, maps etc. start on twist n' shout and then do Butterknife and ride the road back up.

You'll probably find plenty to do on the lower stuff in one day without hitting up the knife, but it's an option.

mtbr member
    The Skid Map

It's mostly Utah trails, but he is starting to add more GJ and other CO areas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zzero View Post
    i rode the bookcliff stuff around 10 years ago and heard there was some technical stuff up behind the main stuff (ie..zippity..chutes) but for some reason thought it might be off limits now.
    What is the backstory about this? Were there covert trails that are now off limits? I noticed a trail in the latest Fruita trail guide about an illegal trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Butterknife starts higher up little park road at the "Third Flats trailhead". Google should bring up gps tracks, maps etc. start on twist n' shout and then do Butterknife and ride the road back up.

You'll probably find plenty to do on the lower stuff in one day without hitting up the knife, but it's an option.
    The downhill atv and single track is awesome but because of the long doubletrack uphill climb, I wouldn't recommend it for first-timers to the area. Like mentioned there are lots of options at Lunch Loops proper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    the only thing that is above the main stuff on 18 road is the Edge Loop. not technical, just long and arduous.

stop by Over the Edge Sports in Fruita and pick up the Fat Tire Guide. it has all the trails in the valley and you can ask questions and get info.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't leave town without doing the new Palisade Rim Trail.

mtbr member
    thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. as it turned out, after the 5+ hour drive from denver to moab, with 6 guys crammed in, no one was very motivated to drive 2 hours back ( 4 hours round trip) to GJ/fruita to ride, especially with all the new stuff around moab. we ended up with four good days of riding, even with the rain. hopefully next time out i get to try out GJ/Fruita.

thanks again everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So tell us what you guys ended up riding.

mtbr member
    day 1: slickrock. not my favorite trail but it's a classic and we had guys that had never rode it. plus, without much sleep from the travel day it worked out well.

day 2: amassa back, rockstacker/jackson. it rained pretty much all day but we were able to sneek a ride in. not very long, but with mud cakin' up in the pedals and shoes, it was interesting with a bit of blood shed from non releasing cleats. rockstacker & jackson were new to me. hope to do it again dry sometime.

day 3: burro down. second time for me on this epic and i can't wait to do it again.

day 4: part of mag 7. down bull run, arth's, great escape and back up bull run, 19 miles i think with temps hittin' 105. the beer sure tasted good. this was all new to me. great stuff.

group consisted of 5 from PA, 1 Connecticut, 1 S.Carolina, 1 Denver and 3 from Park City.