You down with entropy?

fruita/GJ trail conditions?

Hello all

Wondering if the trails are rideable now? Looking at the lunch loops, 18r and koko
    I am going to be out there around the 19th on my way to meet friends in Moab and can plan a few days to goof off on the way there.

basically wondering what the conditions are like now and I can keep my eyes on the weather to figure out if it will still be good for when I plan on getting there. I was not asking anyone to predict the future
    Last edited by esilvassy; 11-09-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Tigers love pepper...
    Lunch loops are PERFECT right now. Rode them both days this weekend (although not every trail obv). Temps were low to mid 60's. It was pretty great!

We haven't had any weather in the last week that would lead me to believe that 18rd or koko would have any issues either. If worried just call one of the LBS' a day or so before hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    We rode Rustler's Loop tonight , starting @ 4:15 pm, and it was simply perfect. No other riders, and the trail was outstanding.

We are supposed to get rain/snow starting Wednesday afternoon (that would be Nov.11th).

You down with entropy?
    thanks for the updates. Now I at least have a baseline to go on.

I will be calling a shop a few days out as well, just in case.
    For just rain would the trails be ok after a few days of no rain? I guess it would depend on the amount of rain though.... best bet is to call once I get to Colorado and plan from there.

Any specific local shop recommendations?

Model of Grace and Tact
    Ruby Canyon and Grassroots are my shops of choice.

Tigers love pepper...
    I would call Ruby Canyon or Grassroots for lunch loop conditions in Grand Junction, or Over the Edge or Singletracks in Fruita for the western stuff. Or just bump this thread.

Depends on which trails and how much rain or snow. The other week I thought 18rd would be a no go a couple days after snow but OTE said it was fine. We ended up riding lunch loops instead and they were OK except for the stuff that goes along the bentonite hills. We just stayed away from certain trails and were were fine. But we saw a group of 5 slogging all through the bentonite. Cleaning tires, walking up the bentonite hill and chewing it all up.

The South facing trails at koko probably dry out faster than the rest? Rustlers, Mary's, Horsethief.

I've been told Rabbit Valley is one of the best areas to ride after rain, but I haven't tried it. Fruita Fat Tire guidebook says something along those lines as well.

mtbr member
    Long range forecast has next Thurs, Fri, Sat looking good. I am hoping to be out there those dates.

Colo RiverRat
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    I've been told Rabbit Valley is one of the best areas to ride after rain, but I haven't tried it. Fruita Fat Tire guidebook says something along those lines as well.
    The whole Rabbit Valley area is excellent the next day after a good rain. the sand firms up really nice (especially trail #8), just go around the puddles.
    Klingon

Ride Hard, Die Free

Tigers love pepper...
    Anyone ride yesterday? How was it? Was thinkning about trying to head out today but had snow on the ground again at the house.

mtbr member
    Lunchloops are pretty good already...

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDesertRider
    The whole Rabbit Valley area is excellent the next day after a good rain. the sand firms up really nice (especially trail #8), just go around the puddles.
    We rode the #8 on Sunday, excellent as always. The mud on the 'grey' bits was vicious, but rideable.

Tigers love pepper...
    I shoulda gone, but I wasn't feeling like cleaning the bike after if I found mud.

Besides, the Packers wer on TV and actually won, so it turned out OK.