Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Jul 2009
    Haven't been above Widowmaker for a while. Cross should be good with a couple damp sections.

One route would be up Petekes or Eagle's Tail (up Petekes then down Tail and back up Petekes is a good option), then up to Widowmaker, where you can do Cross or check out Prenup and the higher stuff, then down Cross, then down Bucket, up Clunker, Miramonte Loop (I prefer clockwise), then Ali Loop, then up Coyote Ridge, down Raven's Ridge, down Kurt's to the trailhead. Alternatively, you could not go down Ravens, instead climb High Noon to Pucker.

Tigers love pepper...
    Bucket had the worst mud of anything I've ridden in the past few weekends. Too many little north facing shaded spots.

I have not gone above holy cross so I don't know but I suspect the higher you go, the worse it gets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Last weekend, Holy Bucket had some bad sections of mud and these required walking. But inch-for-inch the worst was the section right after the Lemon Squeezer. It's sandy above the squeezer and that was fine but it's nasty bentonite right beneath it. This involves walking, out of the trail as much as possible, followed by a lot of cleat digging afterwards.

Pet-e-Kes and Eagles were great.

According to a friend, last weekend there was a long (at least 100yds) section on Gunny which is pure slop.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I think most stuff should be pretty good - it was rainy last Sunday, but it's been warm and sunny since. I'll get out tomorrow at lunch, at the lunch loops, but I usually only venture up as high as wafer rock on my lunch-hour and ride Holy Cross, Pucker-up, or some other combination of trails back down. I'll report back if I run into anything, but I'm anticipating premium goods!

The only local riding areas I would avoid at this point (and they may be good, but doubtful....):
    Kokopelli
    -Troy Built
    -Lions Loop doubltrack
    -Moore Fun

18d
    -Edge (duh)
    -Doubletrack to Western Zippety

Lunch Loops
    -Andy's
    -Miramonte Valley (not Rim)
    -Upper Eagles (maybe)

Others:
    -Ribbon
    -Butterknife
    -Palisade Rim (almost entirely in the shade)

No info on Rabbit Valley - it may be dry, but it'll likely be SOFT and slow if it is.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

Lunch Loops
    -Andy's
    -Miramonte Valley (not Rim)
    -Upper Eagles (maybe)

Others:
    -Ribbon
    -Butterknife
    -Palisade Rim (almost entirely in the shade)

No info on Rabbit Valley - it may be dry, but it'll likely be SOFT and slow if it is.
    Miramonte valley/canyon was good last weekend - nearly bone dry and the one damp spot could be bypassed. Should be OK now.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the intel everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
    Thanks for the intel everyone!
    You headed west this weekend? I'm thinking about driving over tomorrow.
    -Braeden

mtbr member
    Hey! For Sure! Lets ride LL loops tomorrow. Meet at the lot around 11 am?

Sounds like most everything is rideable below widow maker.

-Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

lunch loops today

in case anyone want to know conditions.. rode clunker, miramonte rim, alley loop, coyote ridge and kirks lane down and not a single area of wet/mud. Was great. What a beautiful day

mtbr member
    Looks like Fruita / GJ is getting hit with some snow. That's my fault, since I was planning a trip for next weekend.

mtbr member
    Planning on hitting Fruita/GJ too this weekend....first time down and looking forward to it! Looks sunny all week....hopefully any moisture on the trails dries out! Seems like Free Lunch is the place to be for freeride?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    Planning on hitting Fruita/GJ too this weekend....first time down and looking forward to it! Looks sunny all week....hopefully any moisture on the trails dries out! Seems like Free Lunch is the place to be for freeride?
    We got snow yesterday, it's still here as of 11:40am. Too early to say what shape the trails will be in next weekend. Should have been here on Saturday....it was like a perfect spring day.

As for freeride, there isn't much. Trail/All-mountain bikes rule out here. Free lunch doesn't have any huge moves, and you gotta pedal to the top. Pucker-up has some fun jumps and small gaps - but like the other trails, big-bikes make it cumbersome. Both excellent trails, but leave your DH bike and full-face at home.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Good info....thanks. Just received a photo from a buddy passing through and it looks like you guys got a good cover of snow. Hope the sunny forecast burns it off!

Planning on bringing a Bottlerocket and a Vagrant....really hope to get out there and check everything out.

mtbr member
    Was in Fruita (18 Road) over the weekend, and pre-snow it was absolutely perfect (save for some soft conditions on Chutes and Ladders), but overall, the best conditions I've ever had out there. It was extremely tacky. Wish I could go again this weekend...the double track out to Western Zippity was also fine, no mud and dry.

mtbr member
    Any of that snow melt off yesterday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    still wet, hopefully trails will be dry by friday, maybe saturday. you can check trail conditions on facebook here : Log In | Facebook

or here: Log In | Facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So, ahh, anyone happen to find a Fox 15mm axle assembly at the Tabegueche parking lot recently? I think I left it on my bumper pulling out on Saturday. $90 for a freaking replacement skewer.

mtbr member
    Wanted to bump this thread up! Wife & I have a hall pass from the 4yo this weekend, planned on leaving tomorrow afternoon from Fort Collins. She has never ridden Fruita, was planning on a Friday ride, then possibly Lunch Trails or Moab on Saturday? I've seen some wind in the Moab / GJ forecast. Would really love to hit Kokopelli / Marys / Horsethief, etc...! Any intel would be much appreciated!!

Jul 2009
    Got to assist in the escape from the 4 year old. Forecast actually looks good for GJ through the weekend. Lunch Loops are in good shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk View Post
    Got to assist in the escape from the 4 year old. Forecast actually looks good for GJ through the weekend. Lunch Loops are in good shape.
    Sweet, thanks for the info! We have done lunch loops, fun stuff, this time I need to hit Free Lunch, missed that one last time

Headed into town tomorrow night, time to ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Skewer recovered! $90 saved and I probably should have called my riding bud before posting here. Thanks Nitro! Next time don't steal my ****!

mtbr member
    Rode kokopeli/ Mary's/horse thief bench/steves & Moore fun today, everything is dry dry dry! Only the shadiest areas on Moore had the smallest amount of snow, nothing wet, no mud. Get out & ride!!

mtbr member
    May 2011

GJ/Fruita conditions

Saturday 2/25 rode Lunch Loop area (Pet-e-kes, Andy's, ribbon, holy cross, steve's, gunny etc)- all super dry/perfect conditions. Only a bit of snow on the trail approaching top of the ribbon. There is snow on the slabs but avoidable. The top will get muddy before it gets better, but it's not so bad and short.

Sunday 2/26 kokepelli area trails- rustler, mary's, troy built, lions, mack ridge- just a couple tiny spot of snow in the heavy shaded areas of mack ridge- awesome conditions.

I lost my topeak alien tool somewhere near the top of gunny- I heard a metallic sound and *knew* I should have stopped, but didn't notice anything amiss at the time...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Saturday 2/25 Lunch Loops, Various - primo
    Sunday 2/26 18rd, Prime, Chutes, Kessel - primo (chutes is bumpier than pirate's sack due to cows though)
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

Tigers love pepper...
    The weather has turned to rain/snow. Better keep a close eye on this thread if you were planning a GJ/Fruita ride this weekend.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast